Domestic work

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is an extract from Millars...refering to labourers as hawk boys.

A hawk boy - 'now past history' the book says in 1897 - would wait on two plasterers, and could throw a serverful of stuff to a man on a scaffold ten foot high. Hawk boys were banned because 'knowing the names and uses of the tools, a cute boy developed into a so-called plasterer, to the detriment of apprenticeship'.

This should broaden the debate.

Roughly translated he says......"I truely love southerners, and gaze in wonderment at how masterfully they sweep their gear from their hawks. I to wish i posessed such an incredible tool, but am stuck with a 2 bit northern fist board"

im from the north , but have lived in the south and when i started plastering in 1976 it was always called a plasterers hawk, still the same down douth, i have no idea where handboard has come from, but never heard it in my time up north.

im from the north , but have lived in the south and when i started plastering in 1976 it was always called a plasterers hawk, still the same down douth, i have no idea where handboard has come from, but never heard it in my time up north.

Since you started in 1976 (first time you mentioned that) youve never heard it called a handboard but youve lost count of the number of times overboarded ceilings have collapsed and skim hasnt stuck to dry pva well that does surprise me :)

Status
Not open for further replies.