Domestic "shi*e" Vs site work"

Removed_User

In an earlier post I think yesterday @essexandy mentioned something about domestics being shite. I've seen this by other site plasterers too implying that somehow domestics aren't really any good for anything. This has left me confused.

I'd have thought domestics as long as you can get work on a regular basis would be 100x better.

Better wages am I right? Square meterage is higher isn't it?
cosy house (sometimes) v cold site with f**k**g mongs in your road all day

Someone tell me if I'm misinformed or have been mislead, but that's how I see it

It's been a while since I did site work it was ok as the more muck you pushed up the walls the more you earned. So when young and very fit it wasn't a bad earner, but mostly repetitive skimmming and hard on the body for the guys who do site work for many years Lots of selfish fekers on site too but it had its good points as well as bad.

I've been doing mostly domestics and prefer it even though you have to sometimes deal with strange clients, and useless architects, surveyors and inspectors. Etc..But easier going as all price work so can push it as hard as you feel like.

It's been a while since I did site work it was ok as the more muck you pushed up the walls the more you earned. So when young and very fit it wasn't a bad earner, but mostly repetitive skimmming and hard on the body for the guys who do site work for many years Lots of selfish fekers on site too but it had its good points as well as bad.

I've been doing mostly domestics and prefer it even though you have to sometimes deal with strange clients, and useless architects, surveyors and inspectors. Etc..But easier going as all price work so can push it as hard as you feel like.

and surely bud, like I said, you can sort of get more. Square meterage, although, not as much stuff to be out on can be around a tenner per square metre am I right? whereas on site, it's half that? Maybe I'm misinformed

and surely bud, like I said, you can sort of get more. Square meterage, although, not as much stuff to be out on can be around a tenner per square metre am I right? whereas on site, it's half that? Maybe I'm misinformed

Site rates vary, you either know you can lay enough to make a decent earner or don't. Do the sums and decide.
On domestics I charge per job what I think I and it's worth, if they wont pay it i wont do it. Im always busy though.

Site rates vary, you either know you can lay enough to make a decent earner or don't. Do the sums and decide.
On domestics I charge per job what I think I and it's worth, if they wont pay it i wont do it. Im always busy though.
That's what I'll be doing too. thanks for the advice bud.

In an earlier post I think yesterday @essexandy mentioned something about domestics being shite. I've seen this by other site plasterers too implying that somehow domestics aren't really any good for anything. This has left me confused.

I'd have thought domestics as long as you can get work on a regular basis would be 100x better.

Better wages am I right? Square meterage is higher isn't it?
cosy house (sometimes) v cold site with f**k**g mongs in your road all day

Someone tell me if I'm misinformed or have been mislead, but that's how I see it
I don't remember saying that domestic work is shite, although I'm not overkeen on it I have done plenty.
I would also say that there's a third area of the trade, small scale new builds. This is my preferred type of work. Ideally on one to five houses on a plot.
I definitely earnt more from new builds than I would have from domestic work, even taking employing others out of the equation.
Without being at all rude, not everyone is physically suited to relentless new build work. My old man was still able to earn decent money on new builds beyond his sixtieth birthday.
Horses for courses.

Last edited:
I don't remember saying that domestic work is shite, although I'm not overkeen on it I have done plenty.
I would also say that there's a third area of the trade, small scale new builds. This is my preferred type of work. Ideally on to five houses on a plot.
I definitely earnt more from new builds than I would have from domestic work, even taking employing others out of the equation.
Without being at all rude, not everyone is physically suited to relentless new build work. My old man was still able to earn decent money on new builds beyond his sixtieth birthday.
Horses for courses.
Brilliant mate.. I'm curious.. Can you still do these new builds or whatever as a sole trader? The client contacts you and you agree a price? Is that right?

And sorry didn't mean to say you said it was shite.. I worded that wrong.

Brilliant mate.. I'm curious.. Can you still do these new builds or whatever as a sole trader? The client contacts you and you agree a price? Is that right?

And sorry didn't mean to say you said it was shite.. I worded that wrong.
Yes mate of course you can do new builds direct to the builders as a sole trader, I did for years and my old man stayed that way his whole working life.
And yes again, you give the builder/developer a fixed quote.
Most want you to supply and fix, but not all.

Yes mate of course you can do new builds direct to the builders as a sole trader, I did for years and my old man stayed that way his whole working life.
And yes again, you give the builder/developer a fixed quote.
Most want you to supply and fix, but not all.
So it works exactly the same way as if a tenant in a domestic house would ask you to do work yeah?

Site work is tough, it's for young lads as said it whacks your body,,,, though I know guys that could not adapt to domestic work with all the Bull.
Vice versa also.

You’re like a sponge @maltman777 sucking up any information you can get your beard on.

Domestic works far more skilled much more challenging but site is more physically demanding.

That’s my opinion.
Is there a problem with sucking up as much information as I can ?

Explain to me how domestics is far more skilled and challenging? I've done bth, genuinely interested.. (sucking up more info)

Is there a problem with sucking up as much information as I can ?

Explain to me how domestics is far more skilled and challenging? I've done bth, genuinely interested.. (sucking up more info)

Most site work is board. Lovely and flat ready to go. Of nice straight block.

I walk into ripped out kitchens that look like a bombs gone off. Having to bond walls out. Bring 2 rooms same level feathing etc. Artex. Having 4 walls on all setting different times.

I am 90% sure i could teach my toddler to skim board

With domestic work u have to be a people's person .lots of chats and discussions waiting for them to get up .All that sheeting up.hoovering ect .you often only get one artex ceiling done in a day .because of set up .clean up ect so u have to price up acordenly.

Most site work is board. Lovely and flat ready to go. Of nice straight block.

I walk into ripped out kitchens that look like a bombs gone off. Having to bond walls out. Bring 2 rooms same level feathing etc. Artex. Having 4 walls on all setting different times.

I am 90% sure i could teach my toddler to skim board
Pretty sure you couldn't

Folk slate skimming saying it's the easiest thing in the world.
Ruffles my feathers. No matter how flat the wall is pre-skim, there aren't many that can leave a top class job skimming only. I find that nonsense. Coating evenly alone would prove ghastly for most people who aren't (or are) in the trade.

You’re like a sponge @maltman777 sucking up any information you can get your beard on.

Domestic works far more skilled much more challenging but site is more physically demanding.

That’s my opinion.
Domestic "shi*e" Vs site work"

Pretty sure you couldn't

Folk slate skimming saying it's the easiest thing in the world.
Ruffles my feathers. No matter how flat the wall is pre-skim, there aren't many that can leave a top class job skimming only. I find that nonsense. Coating evenly alone would prove ghastly for most people who aren't (or are) in the trade.

Stick to teaching scottish to the pols luv if you struggle with board

You’ll get found out on day 1 on domestic work

We’re a different breed

Stick to teaching scottish to the pols luv if you struggle with board

You’ll get found out on day 1 on domestic work

We’re a different breed
Where did I say I struggled with board?
Your problem is, instead of reading, you'd rather try and have a go. Then you message privately saying you're only having a laugh. Irritating as f**k

Where did I say I struggled with board?
Your problem is, instead of reading, you'd rather try and have a go. Then you message privately saying you're only having a laugh. Irritating as f**k

Yeah as was having a laugh at first with you and felt bad as you wasn’t getting it so sent a message to reassure you.

Then turned out you’re just an actual bellend so its more fun winding u up

Yeah as was having a laugh at first with you and felt bad as you wasn’t getting it so sent a message to reassure you.

Then turned out you’re just an actual bellend so its more fun winding u up
Biggest bellend on here is you bud. You think you're higher and mightier than everyone esle. It gets on your wick that people want to come here for advice. We're not all in the fortunate position you are where you work for 250 quid a day on domestics.
But your attitude stinks and I'm sure I'm not the only one on here who thinks that. You try and make people feel bad for the way they do things because it doesn't suit your unreasonable ways or standards. You think you're being subtle but I can see right through people like you. I'm requesting that if you think I'm a bellend to not write on any of my posts anymore cos it's tiring.

Biggest bellend on here is you bud. You think you're higher and mightier than everyone esle. It gets on your wick that people want to come here for advice. We're not all in the fortunate position you are where you work for 250 quid a day on domestics.
But your attitude stinks and I'm sure I'm not the only one on here who thinks that. You try and make people feel bad for the way they do things because it doesn't suit your unreasonable ways or standards. You think you're being subtle but I can see right through people like you. I'm requesting that if you think I'm a bellend to not write on any of my posts anymore cos it's tiring.

Poor thing. Actually I give people advice even offering to go and work for free to show people like larry lag! People get ripped here by a few of us and they absolutely deserve it.

You’re way too sensitive and trying too hard to fit in .its just a forum . I come here to unwind. You need to lighten up

Poor thing. Actually I give people advice even offering to go and work for free to show people like larry lag! People get ripped here by a few of us and they absolutely deserve it.

You’re way too sensitive and trying too hard to fit in .its just a forum . I come here to unwind. You need to lighten up
Try to fit in? I'm not sure i even know what that means

I come here to gather a wealth of information from folk who want to give it and are happy to. I'm not here to cause a stir or "fit in" (still not sure what it means), or receive wideness from folk like you in your high and mighty position.

I have a huge task on my hands next year when I start from scratch due to absence from the trade, start up costs amongst other things. Coming on here to gather as much as I can has F all to do with "fitting in" or otherwise.

If you want to help, help. If you want to undermine, go and do it on some other poor sod's post. Fed-up listening to your drivel

Try to fit in? I'm not sure i even know what that means

I come here to gather a wealth of information from folk who want to give it and are happy to. I'm not here to cause a stir or "fit in" (still not sure what it means), or receive wideness from folk like you in your high and mighty position.

I have a huge task on my hands next year when I start from scratch due to absence from the trade, start up costs amongst other things. Coming on here to gather as much as I can has F all to do with "fitting in" or otherwise.

If you want to help, help. If you want to undermine, go and do it on some other poor sod's post. Fed-up listening to your drivel

f**k off with your bullshit.

You know exactly what I mean. You’ve only just joined and you post pictures of your ugly mUg daily.

Nothing about your story even adds up. You was a spread of how many years? The. Randomly f**k off to poland to teach English? Lol

Ive met spreads who tried to change jobs and they’re back on the tools in 2 weeks.

You’re up your own arse and it shows.

Ffs @maltman777

Will just be honest and admit that youve been on a course and looling to get into the trade!

Its all gettng a bit silly so obviously dont know your arse from your elbow!

Credit where its due though lovley bird!
Give it a rest.
I never did a course.
I am desperate to get back into it.

What's the issue?