A review of some coursers/chancers.

Members online

No members online now.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jgreenplastering

Private Member
I'd thought I'd do this little write up and post a real honest review of a couple of lads I've gave trials to lately.

I'm a small company, I'm on the tools and do all the paperwork, job viewing etc.
We are domestic only.
I have another time served spread and a lad who has been with me a year. He started off as a labourer and is now a good skimmer moving onto to being taught the more advanced stuff like rendering etc. Both are subbies but with me everyday of the week.

I've been looking lately for another labourer/learner so we would be 2 gangs of 2.

I'm very fussy with who works with us, I'll get through as many as I need to till I find the right one but always want to give someone a chance as I know how hard it was to get my foot in the door.

I'm a firm believer in that the hard work you put in to start with will repay you with the benefits in the long run.

So I've got 2 lads I'm using at the minute and both have emailed me saying they are level 2 qualified NVQ in plastering and would like to progress with a career. Both had there courses funded by the government.

I thought this would help me as it may mean I wouldn't need to show them the basics and would just help them get better at there finishing.

So trial No.1 (been with me 4 months 1-3 days a week)
He's 40, wanted a career change from car sales as it was stressful and not doing him any good.
He's in the middle of a 2 day a week 9 month course.
Now the bloke is sound, very easy to get on with and good with customers as expected being a salesman.
Now he is also a hard worker when he chooses but boy is he difficult!
He has no previous trade experience so not sure If im being harsh but he just has no common sense! He does the opposite to what I tell him and when I give him a list of what to do in a order he does it in the way he wants! If I give him one job that will take him all day he's fine, if I give him 5 small jobs to do in a order I can guarantee he will do them back to front or start in the middle!
Now as for his skimming, I've only let him loose on the trowel once and to be fair he was ok. As expected. He tells me what he's learning at college and I just feel it's a complete waste of time.
He's being made to lay screeds up a wall left to set for a day and then rendering to the screeds. There seems to be no real world situations! I need to get him on the trowel more but when he can't even do the basics like follow a list or clean up properly I think what the hell will his finish be like!
He seems keen, so keen he's bought a van for 4.5k and about 1k on tools [emoji16].

He's also taking a week of next week to skim a friends house with another one of the coursers!!!! [emoji16] I said to him that's not good as his friend will not have a clue and he needs to gain experience with some one with experience! He said he needs to start somewhere!
To me that's just bad though, you'll pick up bad habits and won't know what to do properly.
There's also the £££ talk being thrown around the college which I think sends them with the fairies!
I don't know whether to stick with him and see if he improves or just stick with a young one and give my time to them.

Trial no 2.
20 year old lad has done his course and got his level 2.
Emailed me saying he wants a career in plastering and trying to find someone to give him a chance.
I thought this might be good, will know how to lay on etc save me some time on training.
Christ was I wrong!
So gave him his first day and gave him a wall to do over old plasterboard, only about 8m2 same time as my set so I knew I could keep up with it incase it went wrong!
So one wall with door way and architrave still on.
He starts laying on above the door and it's just big enough to fit the trowel upright. He whacks it on and get more on the frame and himself than on the wall! I thought give him 5 mins, see the rest,
Honestly I've never seen such a bad lay on in my life! It was everywhere, all different thickness over the other wall on the floor.
I had to speedskim it to flatten out, his second coat was just as bad. Thick as hell then nothing.
He was going right to left, left to right, middle to bottom, bottom to top.
No purpose what so ever.
I said to him mate slow the f**k down and concentrate, don't be quick be good!
I ended up doing that wall as well as my set and got him to just labour.
I told him he hadn't a clue and that I would have to teach him from scratch!
He seemed a little fazed but I said it's not your fault that's how you were taught.
He seems like a nice kid and I will give him a chance.

Again seemed to have no common sense.
Started off pushing the roller up the wall and not rolling it [emoji16][emoji33][emoji23].

Little things like this kill me! I swear I was never that bad!
He was keen though and kept asking if I needed anything.

What I found out though from these to is what bugs the s**t out me the most!

Both of them have said that there tutors can't afford not to fail people.
In other words they get a bonus for passing someone.
This is what is messing our trade up.
These people are being fed bullshit and given false hope by colleges that get paid to pass them!
They can technically go on site and call them selves plasterers!! Yet they couldn't probably couldn't scrim and bead up properly let alone skim a room to a decent standard!

It's also these people that become our competition, doesn't matter if there are 100 times worse than us, if they are pricing any job in the area they are competing!

I done a job for a lady today, she's had another 'plasterer' do her living room she spent 2 days filling and sanding to get it to a good standard for painting! [emoji33][emoji36][emoji36][emoji31]
Now she only used me after I got recommended to her and thought that prepping walls after plastering had been done was normal!

A lot the public know no different! They don't know an bad from an average and an average from a good job!
You can't always blame the client as they genuinely don't know the difference until they see it.
Sometimes it's not about the price like we think, they just don't know.

These colleges and courses are slowly killing our trade and making it out to be a easy job for any idiot!

If you've got this far thanks for reading! [emoji33][emoji33]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd sack them both. I've only ever started school leavers, in my experience if they've had someone else training them they think they know already and its hard to knock bad habits out of them.

I've always thought about an apprentice but worried I'll get one just as bad who I have as an employee and I can't just sack then!?

I'd thought I'd do this little write up and post a real honest review of a couple of lads I've gave trials to lately.

I'm a small company, I'm on the tools and do all the paperwork, job viewing etc.
We are domestic only.
I have another time served spread and a lad who has been with me a year. He started off as a labourer and is now a good skimmer moving onto to being taught the more advanced stuff like rendering etc. Both are subbies but with me everyday of the week.

I've been looking lately for another labourer/learner so we would be 2 gangs of 2.

I'm very fussy with who works with us, I'll get through as many as I need to till I find the right one but always want to give someone a chance as I know how hard it was to get my foot in the door.

I'm a firm believer in that the hard work you put in to start with will repay you with the benefits in the long run.

So I've got 2 lads I'm using at the minute and both have emailed me saying they are level 2 qualified NVQ in plastering and would like to progress with a career. Both had there courses funded by the government.

I thought this would help me as it may mean I wouldn't need to show them the basics and would just help them get better at there finishing.

He's 40, wanted a career change from car sales as it was stressful and not doing him any good.
Now the bloke is sound, very easy to get on with and good with customers as expected being a salesman.
He has no previous trade experience so not sure If im being harsh but he just has no common sense! He does the opposite to what I tell him and when I give him a list of what to do in a order he does it in the way he wants! If I give him one job that will take him all day he's fine, if I give him 5 small jobs to do in a order I can guarantee he will do them back to front or start in the middle!
Now as for his skimming, I've only let him loose on the trowel once and to be fair he was ok. As expected. He tells me what he's learning at college and I just feel it's a complete waste of time.
He's being made to lay screeds up a wall left to set for a day and then rendering to the screeds. There seems to be no real world situations! I need to get him on the trowel more but when he can't even do the basics like follow a list or clean up properly I think what the hell will his finish be like!
He seems keen, so keen he's bought a van for 4.5k and about 1k on tools [emoji16].

He's also taking a week of next week to skim a friends house with another one of the coursers!!!! [emoji16] I said to him that's not good as his friend will not have a clue and he needs to gain experience with some one with experience! He said he needs to start somewhere!
To me that's just bad though, you'll pick up bad habits and won't know what to do properly.
There's also the £££ talk being thrown around the college which I think sends them with the fairies!
I don't know whether to stick with him and see if he improves or just stick with a young one and give my time to them.

Trial no 2.
Emailed me saying he wants a career in plastering and trying to find someone to give him a chance.
I thought this might be good, will know how to lay on etc save me some time on training.
Christ was I wrong!
So gave him his first day and gave him a wall to do over old plasterboard, only about 8m2 same time as my set so I knew I could keep up with it incase it went wrong!
He starts laying on above the door and it's just big enough to fit the trowel upright. He whacks it on and get more on the frame and himself than on the wall! I thought give him 5 mins, see the rest,
Honestly I've never seen such a bad lay on in my life! It was everywhere, all different thickness over the other wall on the floor.
I had to speedskim it to flatten out, his second coat was just as bad. Thick as hell then nothing.
No purpose what so ever.
He seemed a little fazed but I said it's not your fault that's how you were taught.

Started off pushing the roller up the wall and not rolling it [emoji16][emoji33][emoji23].

These people are being fed bullshit and given false hope by colleges that get paid to pass them!
They can technically go on site and call them selves plasterers!! Yet they couldn't probably couldn't scrim and bead up properly let alone skim a room to a decent standard!

It's also these people that become our competition, doesn't matter if there are 100 times worse than us, if they are pricing any job in the area they are competing!

I done a job for a lady today, she's had another 'plasterer' do her living room she spent 2 days filling and sanding to get it to a good standard for painting! [emoji33][emoji36][emoji36][emoji31]
Now she only used me after I got recommended to her and thought that prepping walls after plastering had been done was normal!

A lot the public know no different! They don't know an bad from an average and an average from a good job!
You can't always blame the client as they genuinely don't know the difference until they see it.

These colleges and courses are slowly killing our trade and making it out to be a easy job for any idiot!

I did a course and like to think im not what you describe...maybe I am but I hope not.

I'd sack them both. I've only ever started school leavers, in my experience if they've had someone else training them they think they know already and its hard to knock bad habits out of them.
I had a young bloke last year had a diploma in plastering so thought i would give him a go, there was'nt much he did not know about
I've always thought about an apprentice but worried I'll get one just as bad who I have as an employee and I can't just sack then!?

Lets face it how many blokes do you go through be it coursers or not that make good plasterers,its a law of averages.

We are domestic only.

Trial no 2.
Christ was I wrong!
No purpose what so ever.

But what can be done?! We've been saying this for years on here and it's not changed. Maybe getting worse. Get your head down and put yourself above and beyond the fools that chance it. You're better than being worried about this J green.
From my own experience it's all repeat works and recommendations. No website, no Facebook, no Twitter, no van sign written. Just hard work. Might not work for everyone but does for me.

But what can be done?! We've been saying this for years on here and it's not changed. Maybe getting worse. Get your head down and put yourself above and beyond the fools that chance it. You're better than being worried about this J green.
From my own experience it's all repeat works and recommendations. No website, no Facebook, no Twitter, no van sign written. Just hard work. Might not work for everyone but does for me.

It worries me that I'm looking to give someone a chance to make a career as well as help with my workload and earn me money and people are being given false hope that they can become a plasterer in 6 months because a college gets a funding bonus from the government if they pass someone!

It's fraud in my opinion and will only flood the market with more s**t!.

Same here mate. I am always busy with recommendations, but I want to push the boat out a bit now with the website etc ...

Same here mate. I am always busy with recommendations, but I want to push the boat out a bit now with the website etc ...
Always worth a try John. Personally I'm put off by knowing so many shysters out there with amazing glossy websites but they're all show and no b*ll***s.

Always worth a try John. Personally I'm put off by knowing so many shysters out there with amazing glossy websites but they're all show and no b*ll***s.

There is shysters about I agree. And before I join this fourm I was always a believer than if you advertised you were desperate for work. Meaning not very good. Think might have changed my mind.

There is shysters about I agree. And before I join this fourm I was always a believer than if you advertised you were desperate for work. Meaning not very good. Think might have changed my mind.
I used to think same about advertising but know I do as much as I can thru website Google Facebook etc etc. Think of coca cola they must spend probably into the billions on advertising and sponsorship and who's not heard of coca cola! Same with big sport companies like Nike and Adidas giving Ronaldo and Messi millions to wear there boots so all the little kids moan at mum and dad to fork out 80 quid on a pair.

We've got none of the above aswell Rossi..no paid advertising,no van signage no website jack all all our work is repeat custom and word of mouth

I have never advertised as when I'm busy I'm generally too busy and when not I enjoy the reprieve, mixture of working alone or like at mo have lab to get through some jobs quicker.
Overspill I have few trusted peeps can pass sideways with drink on top rather than lose but most clients will wait within reason.
Advertising etc unless I wanted hassle of taking guys on what would I do with all the extra work? So for me is pointless changing summin that works.
Besides suns out and tapas n wine yesterday in Malaga was good as will beachfront lunch be today:sisi: feck work.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

I have never advertised as when I'm busy I'm generally too busy and when not I enjoy the reprieve, mixture of working alone or like at mo have lab to get through some jobs quicker.
Overspill I have few trusted peeps can pass sideways with drink on top rather than lose but most clients will wait within reason.
Advertising etc unless I wanted hassle of taking guys on what would I do with all the extra work? So for me is pointless changing summin that works.
Besides suns out and tapas n wine yesterday in Malaga was good as will beachfront lunch be today:sisi: feck work.
View attachment 10305 View attachment 10306 View attachment 10307
Wen u move to Spain aplasterer?

No 1 will fook you in the long run and try and steal your work, more money no loyalty

No 2 will cause you problems thinking he is better than he is

This, exactly. The only way I'm afraid is to wade through a few people until you find the one that's right for you - and when they get good they go out on their own.

View attachment 10305 View attachment 10306 View attachment 10307

You should do a photography course mate

Apart from my own son who I can't see being a plasterer I would'nt have the patience to teach someone.No matter what grants or whatever is given it's not enough considering your giving someone a trade and all your own knowledge.

Have to agree the last ten I have had have been complete f**k**g idiots with with ideas of grandeur, mainly dick heads who have took every short cut in life and ended up at the hardest job in the world without a clue. It is getting boring they are a f**k**g the waste of space who think your an idiot and they have thought of something good. It really is declining and the colleges and schools add to it. I will say now if you stick it out for four years from you will reap the rewards but ain't happening soon.

The future is bleak for the plastering trade if this is the general consensus. This is exactly why the short courses are doing so well. People can't get into this trade through the right procedure so go on a short course instead. They have no other choice really. The carrot dangling course false promises don't help really. Vicious cycle.

Putting someone's work right tomorra who's been on a course, a regular I do work for, his misses got a family friend to skim a room out coz he was cheap! Well I ain't gonna! be gonna have to pay the going rate! Regular or not Looks like he put it on with a spoon and no beads around windows.

Putting someone's work right tomorra who's been on a course, a regular I do work for, his misses got a family friend to skim a room out coz he was cheap! Well I ain't gonna! be gonna have to pay the going rate! Regular or not Looks like he put it on with a spoon and no beads around windows.
No beads is nothing to do with a course....the guy who did it is just a prick.

There will always be every level of workmanship in all trades and there always has been, some skilled to high levels all way down to mind boggling shoite.
Anyone having had the opportunity to work on variety of buildings stretching back through the ages will be aware that this is the case , not bothered what anyone else is doing as it does not warrant my energy or time.
Completing my jobs to good standard is my concern, happy clients and repeat work and recommendations.
Stonehenge, and Tumuli Wiltunenses - Page 15 - Google Books Result
https://books.google.es › books
W. M. Flinders Petrie, ‎Richard Colt Hoare - 2014 - ‎History
mortises, is not clear in the outer circle; probably the latter, as there is a ridge 1: inch high across the top of 30, ... 130 has a curious mistake in it, of a third mortisehole, too large, and too near its middle.

Status
Not open for further replies.