Thistle Plasters Q&A

Members online

We can’t all agree because we’re all skimming with different bags, different conditions, different trowels, different methods.

If you skim board daily then theres less room for problems in my opinion.

Skimming over walls mixture of bonding, artex, paint etc is where multi should be doing it’s job, and it usually does with the odd s**t bag. Just feels like most bags are s**t lately.
Ive personally found lately that all the bags with a use by date of February have been a shower of s**t. I bought a load with a march date on, on Monday and had no problems all week

We can’t all agree because we’re all skimming with different bags, different conditions, different trowels, different methods.

If you skim board daily then theres less room for problems in my opinion.

Skimming over walls mixture of bonding, artex, paint etc is where multi should be doing it’s job, and it usually does with the odd s**t bag. Just feels like most bags are s**t lately.
Have you tried using a particular merchant were the gears been better and sticking with it??

I generally use wickes but not always the same one as work all over. Had to use b&q other day same s**t.
I've actually been enjoying using it lately 2 tight coats 2nd mix fresh gear as always... not had any issues I think sometimes certain tubs of Pva it seems to react slightly different.

Plasterers usually develop their preferred trowel through training and experience. Our products are designed to be used with many different tools and therefore we wouldn't be able to state a specific tool for use.

if i remember correctly British Gypsum produced their own trowels at one time.

No that’s 2 coats

Its not mate, never has been, never will be!

Dont get me wrong i often do it myself but unless your working on a very high suction background so as the 1st coat has gone its essentialy just a posh 1 coat.

So much so that back in the day thats actualy what was refered to as 1 coating as its all from 1 gauge of material and still refer to myself as 1 coating when laying down with same gear.

That also causes alot of the problems with regards to how the finish reacts to the walls etc youve been describing as your troweling against the substrate and not a against a coat of pre applied plaster that has firmed up.

For the record thats my favourite way of skimmig but defo has its limitations!

So because it merges with the first coat it’s considered 1 coat, makes sense.

First coats pulled in by time lay it down, always considered it 2 coats.

f**k me am I a part time 1 coat monkey and didn’t know it?

Right @Andy g pick me up in morninh im landing on site haha

A good way to think about it and 1 of the reasons i like to work that way is when you lay down with the same gear any lines left from your 1st cost you compress with the 2nd coat and they dont show through.

If you try doing the same but with a fresh 2nd coat they nearly always grin through as the fresh material is to wet and not dense enough to take them out properly therefore always better to flatten 1st coat in that instance.

A good way to think about it and 1 of the reasons i like to work that way is when you lay down with the same gear any lines left from your 1st cost you compress with the 2nd coat and they dont show through.

If you try doing the same but with a fresh 2nd coat they nearly always grin through as the fresh material is to wet and not dense enough to take them out properly therefore slways better to flatten 1st coat in that instance.

Yep couldn’t agree more. Good point that is.

It obviously depends on background etc but id say mostly i use same gear but not always

First coat super tight so can lay straight down n flattens in nice its my preferred way

Dont get me wrong i often do it myself but unless your working on a very high suction background so as the 1st coat has gone its essentialy just a posh 1 coat.

So much so that back in the day thats actualy what was refered to as 1 coating as its all from 1 gauge of material and still refer to myself as 1 coating when laying down with same gear.

That also causes alot of the problems with regards to how the finish reacts to the walls etc youve been describing as your troweling against the substrate and not a against a coat of pre applied plaster that has firmed up.

For a grumpy old b*****d you do come out with a lot of sense.
Personally I'm a grumpy old b*****d that comes out with a load of b*ll***s.
@lurpak you f**k**g one coat skimming monkey chancer.:cachetada:

I have to agree with zombie here and also would like to add from my experience in domestic s**t holes that a good finish can be achieved this way even on old mashed up walls , but does take great skill , which is why we see a lot of bad pictures of jobs on here because people read it and think oh yeah that’s how they do it but they don’t realise it’s an art mastered, I include myself in that art tbh

I have to agree with zombie here and also would like to add from my experience in domestic s**t holes that a good finish can be achieved this way even on old mashed up walls , but does take great skill , which is why we see a lot of bad pictures of jobs on here because people read it and think oh yeah that’s how they do it but they don’t realise it’s an art mastered, I include myself in that art tbh

That’s the way i was shown and do most of the time . Always considered it two coat tho if first really tight but understand why it would he considererd 1

That’s the way i was shown and do most of the time . Always considered it two coat tho if first really tight but understand why it would he considererd 1
They are very understanding and logical quotes you have been making Lurpak are you in the bath with a beer by any chance

So because it merges with the first coat it’s considered 1 coat, makes sense.

First coats pulled in by time lay it down, always considered it 2 coats.

f**k me am I a part time 1 coat monkey and didn’t know it?

Right @Andy g pick me up in morninh im landing on site haha
5E3DBCE7-FFE7-49E0-803E-2A95EA1D7574.gif