Thistle Plasters Q&A

Members online

BritishGypsum

Hi all,

Quite a few of you have asked for an open discussion on this forum so we will be taking live questions for an hour next Wednesday, 28th November from 5 to 6pm.

If the time doesn't suit, please feel free to post the questions in advance on this thread and we will do our best to cover them all.

Thanks,
The British Gypsum team

I'm pretty sure this just goes round and round in circles..

We say the plaster quality is s**t, you say it hasn't changed, we say you're lying, you double down and say it hasn't changed, we start to doubt ourselves again, go to work, find out it's definitely s**t quality plaster and not us going mad, we come on forum and winge to you, you deny anythings changed, we say you're lying, you ask for samples of said plaster posted to you in little baggies, you get forensics on it to tell us it's fine, we tell you you're lying, you disappear for months then randomly appear with a set date for q&a to start the process all over again.

Blah blah blah forever and ever and ever and ever and eveeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrr

I'm pretty sure this just goes round and round in circles..

We say the plaster quality is s**t, you say it hasn't changed, we say you're lying, you double down and say it hasn't changed, we start to doubt ourselves again, go to work, find out it's definitely s**t quality plaster and not us going mad, we come on forum and winge to you, you deny anythings changed, we say you're lying, you ask for samples of said plaster posted to you in little baggies, you get forensics on it to tell us it's fine, we tell you you're lying, you disappear for months then randomly appear with a set date for q&a to start the process all over again.

Blah blah blah forever and ever and ever and ever and eveeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrr

Exactly this

Hi all,

Quite a few of you have asked for an open discussion on this forum so we will be taking live questions for an hour next Wednesday, 28th November from 5 to 6pm.

If the time doesn't suit, please feel free to post the questions in advance on this thread and we will do our best to cover them all.

Thanks,
The British Gypsum team

Why do you want a real time Q&A? It's a forum. The answers stick around forever....just ask poor ******* who wishes they didn't.

You don't need a real time Q&A. You just need to log in and answer people's questions.

Worst part is there is 0 acknowledgement of any issues, perhaps that may jeopardise then legally if they did.

I’m OCD with plastering. I notice things. Bag to bag is different and it’s always after laying in. The second you go to flatten or trowel up its like crunch time whether the gear is ok or not.

If its shite it just becomes a stress to finish it. Feels too wet but also too dry at same time. Greasy. Drags peels just absolutely disgusting.

And to the wankers who say they never have problems. You’re either doing baby gauges or you’re too rough to notice. Id be interested to see your finished and dried work.

Worst part is there is 0 acknowledgement of any issues, perhaps that may jeopardise then legally if they did.

I’m OCD with plastering. I notice things. Bag to bag is different and it’s always after laying in. The second you go to flatten or trowel up its like crunch time whether the gear is ok or not.

If its shite it just becomes a stress to finish it. Feels too wet but also too dry at same time. Greasy. Drags peels just absolutely disgusting.

And to the wankers who say they never have problems. You’re either doing baby gauges or you’re too rough to notice. Id be interested to see your finished and dried work.

If you're that pissed off, why not give Gyproc skimcoat a try? Same stuff but grey. Standard in Ireland. Dunno if you can get it in UK.

I think @JessThePlasterer comments on previous post were pretty close to it.

"
agree. So far we’ve just had a chat amongst ourselves though..... sorry!

I’ve not had much issue myself with finish. I use knauf boards.

Seems to me from reading everything people are posting about it, folk would like to know:

1. Why are there bad and good batches of gear?

2. Do you recycle the gear and if so how much of it?

3. Why have bg boards become so fragile?

4. Can you provide everybody with pure finish in the standard merchants and wickes etc so we have the choice?

5. What is it about pure finish that makes it that much dearer? More gypsum less crap?

6. You must have tested enough bad batch samples by now and spoken to people. What are your findings please?"

For me if you want practical feed back.

These bags have come from a fresh palette, stored in dry lockup from Jewson in Paignton.
IMG_20181123_135453.jpg

It is very greasy and doesnt have its usual workability.
IMG_20181123_135617.jpg

I've noticed it tears more than usual

How long you been spreading Lurpack?

Nagative piss taker, go back back to spreading wondertex if you can’t work with finish, either way from what it sounds like your work needs sanding

Think everyone’s should really try stick to getting their questions answered on wed and not a mud slinging free-for-all. I’d certainly like to get to the bottom of all this bad finish malarkey, it’s a ridiculous situation.

Sorry you're having issues to but that is music to my ears to be honest. That is exactly how it is. I go to work not knowing if it's going to be spot on or a struggle for an hour and a half back end of the set to get something reasonable. I would genuinely be interested to spend a day with anyone who says it trowels up fine. I've tried letting first coat go right off, getting on it abit sooner, leaving the second coat longer than I normally would. Nothing works if you've got s**t gear to work with. I'm going to resort to looking into sponging it down soon... Bit of a joke having to relearn how to plaster when I've been getting a really nice finish for years

Y c
Hi all,

Thanks,
The British Gypsum team
Y can't u do a longer setting time for us oldis

Sorry you're having issues to but that is music to my ears to be honest. That is exactly how it is. I go to work not knowing if it's going to be spot on or a struggle for an hour and a half back end of the set to get something reasonable. I would genuinely be interested to spend a day with anyone who says it trowels up fine. I've tried letting first coat go right off, getting on it abit sooner, leaving the second coat longer than I normally would. Nothing works if you've got s**t gear to work with. I'm going to resort to looking into sponging it down soon... Bit of a joke having to relearn how to plaster when I've been getting a really nice finish for years

Might try sponging too. I’ll try anything to make life easier.

Same shite today weird gear. Have to wait till set to cross it and even then it just rips off wall

my son and myself work together, what we have noticed using multi. is the changing of trowels . At one time I was finishing with a refina flex with my son finishing with a marshalltown stainless. if I had used the refina on an area the plaster would tear if he came over with his trowel.
we now both use marshalltown gold back stainless and on the final finish marshalltown super flex, with no problems from the material.

They've been mucking about with so many different products over the past few years that the core business has got lost. Plaster isn't like an iphone there's no constant need to the reinvent the wheel to sustain a product. For instance why is pure finish et al labeled "professional""when mult/board is the only realistic option for professionals. To me it looks like what we have now is a diy product in multi/board. So make a market for pissed of plasterers and drip feed them pure finish, if you want good "gear' it costs.

Ive got an offe @bg
They've been mucking about with so many different products over the past few years that the core business has got lost. Plaster isn't like an iphone there's no constant need to the reinvent the wheel to sustain a product. For instance why is pure finish et al labeled "professional""when mult/board is the only realistic option for professionals. To me it looks like what we have now is a diy product in multi/board. So make a market for pissed of plasterers and drip feed them pure finish, if you want good "gear' it costs.

Tbf i honestly wouldnt have even heard of pure if not for @Vincey!

Though im sure hes on the payroll!

my son and myself work together, what we have noticed using multi. is the changing of trowels . At one time I was finishing with a refina flex with my son finishing with a marshalltown stainless. if I had used the refina on an area the plaster would tear if he came over with his trowel.
we now both use marshalltown gold back stainless and on the final finish marshalltown super flex, with no problems from the material.

Funny you should say this . Lad uses Mt xtra lite. I use nella carbon.
Today I said i f**k**g hate being on same walls as you. Just seems weird . Can't say if it's down to different trowels or he puts it on thicker and flattens twice but just throws me out

I still think they're adjusting the formula to better suit plastic trowels to "stay with the times"

Cause the gear hates a worn in ss