Thistle Plasters Q&A

A full yellow builders bucket per bag
so,i am using the same buckets ,which means you are using around 15L per bag. I use 14-14.5L per bag .Taking on board what you say there is nothing wrong with the gear id like to ask you this question-why the gear needs 25-30% more water from what is stated on the bag?

so,i am using the same buckets ,which means you are using around 15L per bag. I use 14-14.5L per bag .Taking on board what you say there is nothing wrong with the gear id like to ask you this question-why the gear needs 25-30% more water from what is stated on the bag?
Just how i have always done it no big deal

Disagree all you like andy i dont
Well there appear to be more spreads that agree with my opinion than yours Gary.
I have said that the pallet of Board Finish we had recently was considerably better than the Multifinish I've been using for the last god knows how many years.

Well there appear to be more spreads that agree with my opinion than yours Gary.
I have said that the pallet of Board Finish we had recently was considerably better than the Multifinish I've been using for the last god knows how many years.
I only use board and my opinions are from my personal experience

Just how i have always done it no big deal
i agree with you here , but when you loose £££££ youll start thinking differently.In generally we make it work,but that doesnt mean there is nothing wrong with the plaster by any means.The difference between the recommended and actually used amount of water shows you clearly how far is the plaster at the moment from the original and to say there is nothing wrong with it, thats a bit naive. Thats about 4 generations of recycled plaster. Next time you on site mix the bag with the recommend water ratio and tell me what do you think.

I’m more in the same boat as @Gibbo to be honest. I once was on a job where the gear felt a bit greasy but apart from that one time not had a problem. Been plastering about eight years so maybe just not long enough to know a time when it was better and therefore can’t make a comparison. Maybe I’m just lucky. I’ve never read the back of a bag of finish, if I had to do that I probably shouldn’t be charging for work lol

i agree with you here , but when you loose £££££ youll start thinking differently.In generally we make it work,but that doesnt mean there is nothing wrong with the plaster by any means.The difference between the recommended and actually used amount of water shows you clearly how far is the plaster at the moment from the original and to say there is nothing wrong with it, thats a bit naive. Thats about 4 generations of recycled plaster. Next time you on site mix the bag with the recommend water ratio and tell me what do you think.
Would never do that i will stick to my method has worked for 35 years

Ive never lost money over it

I’m more in the same boat as @Gibbo to be honest. I once was on a job where the gear felt a bit greasy but apart from that one time not had a problem. Been plastering about eight years so maybe just not long enough to know a time when it was better and therefore can’t make a comparison. Maybe I’m just lucky. I’ve never read the back of a bag of finish, if I had to do that I probably shouldn’t be charging for work lol
If its greasy get the windows open humidity does that

I’m on gibbo’s side
Sounds like he knows his gear
CADA3019-91B0-4ED3-BCDE-A7DC5CE05E59.gif

Gears 100% changed. Like clay now. Firms up fast in bucket too even new bucket
Spot on. No time to mess about now or take phone calls when you're wacking it on. Used to hang around for ages in the bucket bit you can feel it firming up each time you fill your hawk up

Spot on. No time to mess about now or take phone calls when you're wacking it on. Used to hang around for ages in the bucket bit you can feel it firming up each time you fill your hawk up
Use a hand board instead then,,,,,,:coffe:

We can’t all agree because we’re all skimming with different bags, different conditions, different trowels, different methods.

If you skim board daily then theres less room for problems in my opinion.

Skimming over walls mixture of bonding, artex, paint etc is where multi should be doing it’s job, and it usually does with the odd s**t bag. Just feels like most bags are s**t lately.