• Thread starter Deleted member 23452
  • Start date

Members online

Current working status?

• Not at all anywhere.

Votes: 47 55.3%
  • Yes, but only person on site.

Votes: 15 17.6%
  • Yes, on site with others but practising safe isolation.

Votes: 12 14.1%
  • Part time urgent jobs.

Votes: 10 11.8%
  • Working as normal 'cause fcuk it.

Votes: 1 1.2%

• Total voters
The furlough scheme they got right, mortgage holidays (be it deferred payment) pcp car plans (again deferred) business grants, loans etc all good schemes but the idea on self employed taking until June to pay out has taken to long, 4 months is ridiculous, is it any wonder they've gone out to work if they could, they should have just given everyone that's self employed, and completed a tax return last year(easy enough to check), a generic £500 a week from the outset, the end figure is only a maximum £2500 a month, so there not going to be far off that anyway in the end and the money would be there now.

I've had an email of my firm asking weather would be ok going back to work as long as safety procedures are put in place.i would as long as it's safe.i need to because I'm getting a new roof next week which costing me 6k thought I would get away with patch up but its f**k*d.is it acceptable to let roofers in my house?subbie firm I work for has already said they expect a recession.
NO, but it's ok to let them on your roof.

You just said you couldn't lose anything now though. But could years ago, at which point I assume you didn't have 24k overheads a year?

At some points more, at others less. Three months mortgage holiday is deferred debt on which you pay interest which is additional to the original. That debt is taken on at a point when your profits are reduced/wiped out and the income from the property has been delayed. In way way does that might the slightest bit of sense?

At some points more, at others less. Three months mortgage holiday is deferred debt on which you pay interest which is additional to the original. That debt is taken on at a point when your profits are reduced/wiped out and the income from the property has been delayed. In way way does that might the slightest bit of sense?
It doesn't make financial sense, not arguing that. But you could cope, you'd have less money than if you went to work, but you'd cope

What do I and my family eat and pay bills in the meantime tho ( if I had no family help)
As I said £500 interest free overdraft available on every bank account, credit card and universal credit. Not saying it would be easy, but alot of people aren't having it easy.
And I repeat that I'm almost positive noone working on this site took a mortgage holiday

We have to discuss what is not what you’d like ,
We can work , the government wants us to work .
If people wish not to work , they shouldn’t have to
The government are contradicting themselves, stay at home save lives, but not construction lives, there somehow worth less.pretty much every other none essential industry has closed down, apart from key industries and key workers and general construction is not key workers.

I'm sitting this out to the bitter end with my nut job left looney tune robbo..no good preaching for last 3 weeks then declare your going back because your part of a chain,when uve been preaching 4 last 3 weeks saying family more important than money blah blah blah..this is what I meant when I was saying other day those that are judging stop judging other people
Too f**k**g right, do your own thing and keep your gob shut about other folks business.

It doesn't make financial sense, not arguing that. But you could cope, you'd have less money than if you went to work, but you'd cope

I think you're perhaps missing the main problem in that situation which isn't the immediate survival. If you take that sort of hit the impact is three or four months down the line. That's the point where things can come home to roost and if you miss a payment on a BTL mortgage in then starts a ripple effect that can, and has for some, taken everything from you.

An average working bloke clawing their way up the property ladder will at times be hideously exposed to risk. That's a gamble that has to be taken. Mostly it works out OK after some sleeples nights, struggle, graft and long hours. Soemtimes it's all gone in a flash and you're lying in a sleeping bag under a flyover sucking from a bottle or worse.

As I said £500 interest free overdraft available on every bank account, credit card and universal credit. Not saying it would be easy, but alot of people aren't having it easy.
And I repeat that I'm almost positive noone working on this site took a mortgage holiday
Don’t forget this is unprecedented, and companies and councils etc are bending Over themselves to help out ! All I know is it’s not like how ur making out, maybe if we got Regular hand outs from The beginning of this It might soften the blow , I can only speak as I find what happened to me , plus I had the same grief going thru 2 recessions

I think you're perhaps missing the main problem in that situation which isn't the immediate survival. If you take that sort of hit the impact is three or four months down the line. That's the point where things can come home to roost and if you miss a payment on a BTL mortgage in then starts a ripple effect that can, and has for some, taken everything from you.

An average working bloke clawing their way up the property ladder will at times be hideously exposed to risk. That's a gamble that has to be taken. Mostly it works out OK after some sleeples nights, struggle, graft and long hours. Soemtimes it's all gone in a flash and you're lying in a sleeping bag under a flyover sucking from a bottle or worse.
We'll agree to disagree. You have to cope for 2-3 months ( in which you can barely spend a penny as everywhere is shut ) then you get a lump sum.

People thinking that £500 a week is a lottery win , mortgages deferred isn’t a help
, it’s a stay of debt , people who just work for a wage with minimum outlay are safe , those with large outlays , mortgages, loans , businesses etc is a different story
I agree but £2000 grand a month is a decent amount surley, it is only meant to be a short term option.

It should have been a ban on all construction from the start, essential works only, plumbing fittings and the like.
Bullshit, who decides what is essential for me? you or Boris or Zombie,,, No, me I decide.

We'll agree to disagree. You have to cope for 2-3 months ( in which you can barely spend a penny as everywhere is shut ) then you get a lump sum.

You're right in so far as you're talking about a single person. I'm pointing out that at various times you need to operate as one or two businesses and a self employed person to get ahead. That's where your scenario doesn't work and it's not an uncommon position.

Agree, where in uncharted times.

Ain't that the truth. All the things you ponder that could go wrong in business or trying to get ahead financially, toss ideas around, look at the risks, cost/benefit time it'll take etc. I doubt anyone thought "Ah, but what if there's a global pandemic and everything shuts?" :LOL:

You're right in so far as you're talking about a single person. I'm pointing out that at various times you need to operate as one or two businesses and a self employed person to get ahead. That's where your scenario doesn't work and it's not an uncommon position.
I'm not arguing that. I don't think the people who have said they are working are in that position though from what I've read so I think we agree

Ain't that the truth. All the things you ponder that could go wrong in business or trying to get ahead financially, toss ideas around, look at the risks, cost/benefit time it'll take etc. I doubt anyone thought "Ah, but what if there's a global pandemic and everything shuts?" :LOL:
Yep 6 weeks ago it was all ticking over nicely......now I'm sat at home through the day in trackie bottoms, on a plasterers forum, arguing the toss to fellas I've never met, about a virus, that I'm likely to never get....

I'm not arguing that. I don't think the people who have said they are working are in that position though from what I've read so I think we agree

Some will be hand to mouth, some will be satisfied just getting by, some will be poor businessmen and some will be in that or a similar position. I can think of two on here who are working and in that position.

Personally, I can remember lying in a sleeping bag in a derelict house in January during a snowstorm (most of which seemed to be coming into the room) wondering what the fcuk I'd done by ploughing everything into buying a property that wasn't eligible for a mortgage. Miles from home, b4stard freezing running various scenarios as to how much time I could get away with before doing paying work again.

If I'd heard this nonsense start on the radio I think I'd have gone to sit outside like Johnny.

Yep 6 weeks ago it was all ticking over nicely......now I'm sat at home through the day in trackie bottoms, on a plasterers forum, arguing the toss to fellas I've never met, about a virus, that I'm likely to never get....
I hope you or any of yours never get it , you can visit me after lock down

That's because you are a fool Rob.