Unifinish

Members online

Multi is getting worse in the UK and Ireland. They are having to put more chemicals when making it. To help keep the greenhouse effect down. Just think back to 15 years ago how multi was a lot easier to get a good finish on. And tiger stripes didn't exist then.

Ok I'm just throwing this out there, I've long had a suspicion that blackdog is either vincey or his side kick lodan, for many reasons one being only they sing the praises of uni.

So I'll hand the investigation over to @Pagey you know the drill

No idea but people seem to not like high suction backgrounds using it....

That's entirely from what people on here have said. I still haven't even seen a bag
I think a lot of people get confused with suction and setting times or just don't know the difference. Plaster will pull in straight away on backing plaster and that's what every plasterer knows. The problem that has happened is the gear has been explained really badly by a certain member on here and partly by BG who have advertised it with "no need for PVA". Now BG are correct in what they say, there is no need for PVA to make it stick, but PVA is also used to control suction and that's what's getting lost. I would say uni does everything multie does but with the added extra bit if the job was suitable. I've said before the problem with plastering and the lack of good training is the basics are being missed, everyone who is coming into it is looking for a quick fix and the fact a lot of new plasters and tools are giving the false impression, they will teach you how to plaster quicker. We are getting a lot more examples of bad work being posted up and this is down to people who think they can dab their way out of anything and the skimming is the easy bit.

Also to add, you lot that are still using it whilst an unresolved problem is ongoing from one of our members hstoke ( still unresolved I believe) are MUGS

@BritishGypsum any news?

Ok I'm just throwing this out there, I've long had a suspicion that blackdog is either vincey or his side kick lodan, for many reasons one being only they sing the praises of uni.

I'm not liking this being put in same bracket as you and @flynnyman lately although I've been called a cont quiet a few times lately

Or lose board finish, multi for board and backgrounds not needing extra sticky power. Uni for everything else... just a thought

They can't really just replace multi with it. Multi is for various/high suction backgrounds including base coat plasters.

On high suction you have to use pva or grit with multi and with uni we've found out you do too! The only advantage it seems is on well painted sound backgrounds and just slap it on saving a bit of time but not enough to warrant the price tag.
As multi is not as good as it was years ago a full swap with this at £6 Inc vat would then give people choice to use as they wish. I've found it ok to use and yes it can hang a bit but I've found multi and board finish to do the same lately too.

Hmmmmmmm did see him lose his temper on a thread and the thought crossed my mind but didn't think it was one of them just from the same firm ;) but now you say it @Lodan has been a bit quiet?

On high suction you have to use pva or grit with multi and with uni we've found out you do too! The only advantage it seems is on well painted sound backgrounds and just slap it on saving a bit of time but not enough to warrant the price tag.
As multi is not as good as it was years ago a full swap with this at £6 Inc vat would then give people choice to use as they wish. I've found it ok to use and yes it can hang a bit but I've found multi and board finish to do the same lately too.

Agreed swapping between board and multi alot recently and it seems all the same on board. Uni will always be more as it has polymers mixed in, board finish isn't recommended for backing coats (never tried either) so on jobs that can work without pva/grit or polymers multi can be used. Just think uni needs to come.down to maybe around 7.50 Mark really.

Why though? It does f**k all multi can't, and it doesn't seem any different. And it doesn't really cost less .... talking pence a bag
If uni does it all then no need for three but they need to sort them white bits they will freak some people out giving them an excuse for a s**t job.

Also to add, you lot that are still using it whilst an unresolved problem is ongoing from one of our members hstoke ( still unresolved I believe) are MUGS

@BritishGypsum any news?
IMG_4517.JPG

Reactions: gps
Great thread tbh it is worth reading about materials before use so I attached this link for members

http://www.british-gypsum.com/products/thistle-unifinish

The FAQ part is very helpful imo
To be honest mate you've had your say on this product and made too many false claims, you've also made claims regarding an email I sent to Knauf which needs clearing up on another thread. There are rules on the forum and one is making claims against a firm or person that may have an effect on their business or name, which if proven not to be true could be very costly for the member and the forum, the last thing I want is the forum to be closed down because a member made false accusations, so that is why I moderate the forum as best as, to avoid this happening. :)

Hmmmmmmm did see him lose his temper on a thread and the thought crossed my mind but didn't think it was one of them just from the same firm ;) but now you say it @Lodan has been a bit quiet?
Lol, im not anyone else @gps @flynnyman....i dont need a second profile to say what I think....also wouldnt say I sing uni's praises just use it for first coat on first set to give me a bit of a headstart on glossy stuff....if it makes you feel better ask danny to check my IP and he'll confirm I only got 1 profile, I give him my permission to check and confirm if he can be arsed(y)

Lol, im not anyone else @gps @flynnyman....i dont need a second profile to say what I think....also wouldnt say I sing uni's praises just use it for first coat on first set to give me a bit of a headstart on glossy stuff....if it makes you feel better ask danny to check my IP and he'll confirm I only got 1 profile, I give him my permission to check and confirm if he can be arsed(y)
Just checked :)

Timing is the key with the gear,,,and the only way to get that is persevere.
Then its worth it.

Timing is the key with the gear,,,and the only way to get that is persevere.
Then its worth it.

Lol, that goes for all plastering.

But in this products case the timing is a problem too long on artex and too quick on Matt walls.
Plus it fails and bg do bugger all about it ask hstoke and his client

Lol, that goes for all plastering.

But in this products case the timing is a problem too long on artex and too quick on Matt walls.
Plus it fails and bg do bugger all about it ask hstoke and his client
I missed hs stokes findings on that ceiling GPS.
Was it confirmed by British gypsum that uni failed.
Yes you are correct about timings,,but uni is by far the most difficult one to nail.

I missed hs stokes findings on that ceiling GPS.
Was it confirmed by British gypsum that uni failed.
Yes you are correct about timings,,but uni is by far the most difficult one to nail.

As far as I'm aware still unresolved