Dodgy diy 2 day advance plastering course...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

niceandflat

Well I did the 2 day (advanced ha ha),plastering course at Stockport that followed on from the 4 day diy plastering course, and what a waste of time and money. I was of the understanding we would be skimming larger areas with two men, but all we did was work inside the same booths about the size of a standard bathroom. There was a block wall about 3 feet high and about 8 feet long in there that we rendered half of it in lime putty, and the other half in sand and cement. The mix was that wet it was dropping off the hawk even when it was laid flat onto it, and by the middle of the afternoon it was still too wet to skim over.

It just dragged it off the wall when we tried to put on a second coat, mind you I'll bet the block wall has had that many coats of pva that has soaked well into the block work by now after all these years. And probably only needed a misting of water and not the good dowsing that it got.

Then we skimmed over a studded wall that had been skimmed previously by another 4 day course, that had been tiled over after by the diy tiling course. We had to knock the tiles off to create an unacceptable background that needed skimming, but we backed it out first with around a 6 mm coat of bonding, then skimmed with board finish. I didn't feel that I benefitted from the course whatsoever, the finish on my skim coat wasn't as good as my finish from my 4 day course, which I must say I was quite impressed with my results from the 4 day diy course.

I think I should have stuck to my guns with my sparkying experience of backing coats from filling chases and backing out large nightmare patches from blown plaster that drop off when chases are being knocked out. Having said that I would reccomend the 4 day skimming course, but I wouldn't reccomend the 2 day so called advanced course. It could put you off from applying backing coats and you would waste your time and money.

I mentioned to instructor that I thought the course content covered doing larger areas with 2 men, and he said I would have to mention it to the course provider, despite it stating it on the website. But after dealing with him over other issues regarding discount vouchers for attending a second course after I attended the diy bricklaying course. I felt I would have been wasting my time, as he did come across as being self conceited and up his own arse after he had taken your money.

Of course he is you're just another through the mill we know that they know that its just the lads that go these courses that don't

Status
Not open for further replies.