Thistle Plasters Q&A

They dont care mate, not even worth typing your greivence!
download.png

Can i add . Great choice of time . From a part timers point of view its very quiet on here bout 5/6 oclock

.why I wonder
Oh yeah
Full timers have just got in and sat having there tea n spending time with kids
How about 8/9 pm when everyones been in bath and chilled or a bit

That's bad patter mate, that shouldn't be right.
spent an hour on phone this week to bg first then formula the casting plaster makers its 80 bags or f/all internet sales want £30 per bag delivery plus £14 a bag so think I will call it a day cant be f**k*d anymore just turned 2 jobs down this week just going to do a few patching jobs kitchens etc THANKS ST GOBAIN

Ive got an offe @bg

Tbf i honestly wouldnt have even heard of pure if not for @Vincey!

Though im sure hes on the payroll!
Seriously mate I thought after using uni I want to try them all to find which one I thought was the best , tbf I think all the skim plaster they do have different advantages, but the top two I liked to trowel up on plasterboard were pure and thistle spray
But out of the two I’d go pure if I had to choice just one

I still think they're adjusting the formula to better suit plastic trowels to "stay with the times"

Cause the gear hates a worn in ss
I use to just use my tyzack ss start to finish no problems. Now I only coat with it and use my old mt carbon to trowel up. The carbon is much lighter though, probably puts less stress on the surface. You know what I feel like I shouldn't have to post this shite.

Seriously mate I thought after using uni I want to try them all to find which one I thought was the best , tbf I think all the skim plaster they do have different advantages, but the top two I liked to trowel up on plasterboard were pure and thistle spray
But out of the two I’d go pure if I had to choice just one
Unless they've changed the Spray Finish since release I can't understand how you'd think that is a decent bit of gear to use? Even BG advised the need for a plasi trowel to stop it tearing in the latter stages of trowelling up.

@BritishGypsum
Your Multifinish is very, very poor. It has been poor for so long that many guys have either never used decent plaster or have just forgotten what it was like.
It is my honest opinion that the problems really started with you pushing a 'one fits all' plaster, namely Multifinish.
When I started we had Sirapite, Thistle Board Finish and Carlite Finish, three quite different plasters for different substrates.
Every plasterer knew that Carlite was super fine to get over the high suction of Browning, was horrible and slimey to mix and would always show streaks wherever water touched it during trowelling. No one would have wanted to use it on plasterboard or S&C.
Thistle Board Finish was a much coarser plaster. Easier to mix and troweled up nicely on plasterboard or low suction S&C. But you definitely wouldn't have wanted to use it on high suction backgrounds.
So where are we at with Multifinish?
IMO it is designed primarily to be suitable for getting over the higher suction of Hardwall, which in turn makes it slimey, snotty and greasy when used on plasterboard.
Board Finish
Bizarrely this is now a finer plaster than it was years ago, God knows why? This again can cause it to be greasy to use.
So you now make more different types of finish plaster than ever before, but refuse to make the core products truly suitable for use, dedicated plasters for different backgrounds, just like years ago. Are you familiar with the saying 'if it isn't broken don't try to fix it'? Well this is exactly what you're guilty of.

And all the spreads lived miserably ever after.

The end.

What do some of the older guys who work at BG say about this issue .? Surly there are some of there demo team old enough to remember what finish was like years ago and see all the points being made by many of the experienced and long serving spreads on here.

What do some of the older guys who work at BG say about this issue .? Surly there are some of there demo team old enough to remember what finish was like years ago and see all the points being made by many of the experienced and long serving spreads on here.

They say “sometimes its a different gypsym and can be a bit ‘clayey’ “

I think they say "I'm getting very close to getting my full pension and I buggered if I'm going to rock the boat, f**k the spreads".

@malc im guessing you have always used MT start to finish, so why the super flex at the end? Is it the change you’ve seen in plaster over the years or just to make final pass easier?

Not skimmed for a while but skimmed today, gear was rank really streaky and greasy, to much elbow needed cross ways to make it right

Aye...no water it tears, water and it streaks, only option is to leave but not ready to be left...just have to battle on

Left set yesterday was completely turned went to cross is and pulled fat up n teared . Just disgusting shite

Chap I work with anytime I skim the conversation is all about "how's the gear today" doesn't seem right that it's that changeable from bag to bag

I
Left set yesterday was completely turned went to cross is and pulled fat up n teared . Just disgusting shite
I had that today , still tearing on last trowel when it was hard

@malc im guessing you have always used MT start to finish, so why the super flex at the end? Is it the change you’ve seen in plaster over the years or just to make final pass easier?

i have only used Marshalltown trowel since the late 70s when i had to go to London to purchase my first Marshalltown.
i purchased the retina flex, it gave a good finish with not so much effort.
Multi finish is very fine compared to Sirapite which was a more open corse finish, more like the required eggshell finish.

Aye...no water it tears, water and it streaks, only option is to leave but not ready to be left...just have to battle on
Exactly with board other day I had a right s**t background it was masonary painted wtf so day b4 I used some thistle bond it first coat fantastic let it pull in 2nds on pulled in fast same scenario n like u left it in the end light trowel with Nela flex job done but what a f**k about

i have only used Marshalltown trowel since the late 70s when i had to go to London to purchase my first Marshalltown.
i purchased the retina flex, it gave a good finish with not so much effort.
Multi finish is very fine compared to Sirapite which was a more open corse finish, more like the required eggshell finish.
Thank you @malc, so few left to remember the good gear. How easy was it to use the coarser gear?

What seems to be clear, is the ones having issues are having the exact same issues. @Lodan described it well
It's not that you can't finish it, it's just really hard work and occasionally when bags are good it's effortless...that makes it more annoying that's it's right sometimes ....like bully....here's what you could have won

It's not that you can't finish it, it's just really hard work and occasionally when bags are good it's effortless...that makes it more annoying that's it's right sometimes ....like bully....here's what you could have won

Couldn't agree more.

See even a non spread has mailed the issues. Well done you bady builder (unqualified).

Good job I'm Not easily offended ...I'd post some pics of my current loft conversion but know there'd be a load of internet warriors getting off on it finding a bead a mil out and getting a little self satisfied erection

Well, don't put your beads a mil out and you have nothing to fear, do you?

Well, don't put your beads a mil out and you have nothing to fear, do you?
I wish someone made told me earlier..just made.a feature wall and the top one 770m and the bottom one was 775m...very ashamed