multi problems (tearing/striping)

Members online

Seriously those two and just your favourite normal trowel seems to be the best way forward for us at present.
I had a speedskim before and it was rubbish (the old white model) I just don’t get how a bendy plastic blade flattens adequately unless the plaster is piss wet but if the set starts to pick up then surely a speedskim is a waste of time, if I get the speedskim I’ll need a pole attachment and then it will probably just bend and get all deformed after five minutes. I might try the felt brush and look at prices for speedskim It might be worth it for this particular job I suppose :buitre:

I had a speedskim before and it was rubbish (the old white model) I just don’t get how a bendy plastic blade flattens adequately unless the plaster is piss wet but if the set starts to pick up then surely a speedskim is a waste of time, if I get the speedskim I’ll need a pole attachment and then it will probably just bend and get all deformed after five minutes. I might try the felt brush and look at prices for speedskim It might be worth it for this particular job I suppose :buitre:
You know I was exactly the same with the speedy, had the original, didn't rate it. Got a new one and like it, or maybe the gears just got worse and it helps.
We flatten in the first coat and the second coat fairly soon after application with the speedy and then just use a normal trowel with either the felt brush or not depending on how it goes.

My favourite is the easter bonus ball competition,sad that there is only 5 left and lots buy in 2's don't be a baron ,pick and pay £10 wind £590. Other runner up prizes including a Nela trowel of choice

My favourite is the easter bonus ball competition,sad that there is only 5 left and lots buy in 2's don't be a baron ,pick and pay £10 wind £590. Other runner up prizes including a Nela trowel of choice
If I were to win a runner up prize can I have a marshal town carbon steel trowel instead I can’t be doing with these plastic thingies

IMG_1852.PNG
Awsome I.ll have last number just to stop ye stalking me

Aren’t those felt brushes designed for removing blisters in skim?
No idea what they were originally designed for.
To be honest they really badly put together, but a bit of drilling to fit thicker bolts, plus some penny washers and they're good to go.
Oh I did also cut the handle down and make it easier to grip.
So basically a badly made tool helps with badly made plaster.

It’s that time of year again cold and damp working on a house that has just got ply over the front and back door . I’m thinking too much moisture soaked into plasterboards, first coat hanging greasy when flattened in, second coat after ages of waiting around for first coat to pick up, start trowelling and it starts striping like the second coat is just setting naturally but not pulling in to the wall, like moisture is coming through from behind the skim? Or it starts tearing aswell. After getting the spray bottle or wet brush to prevent tearing I’m effectively wetting down an already greasy wall, bloody nightmare had it numerous times before (normally this time of year) what’s going on and how to overcome it? After nearly four hours polish up with a plazzi to wipe off remaining moisture. Still got skimming from Monday that hasn’t dried out yet. Got loads of lights and I’m confident it will be ok when it finally dries but it’s a ball ache to achieve a decent finish.

If you get stuck in a cold plot again Joe I've got a big gas blower, really warms the walls up a treat. We used to point in through front door and give it a blast for 15 mins.

I use a Marshall (I think) brush.local hardware store sells them for less than a tenner. Nice for cleaning angles and bristles are soft enough they dont scribe into the finish. Only down side is they don't last overly long but at less than a tenner it's small change really

I should add that despite being a big new build we've had halogen heaters keeping temperatures between 6°-8° day and night, and still the gear is shite.
Although gas heaters will, obviously, make the place warmer they also add moisture so you need ventilation as well.

We have had this problem (Tigering) for a while and experimented and found this routine is perfect. We add water early to reduce resistance between the wall and the trowel. They are a few main reasons why it happens

Have heard loads of gangs moaning about multi finish changing and noticed it ourselves. Everyone to there own but if people ring you up to do more work then we must be doing something right.

- Top coat being thicker than 1st coat

- Not using water early enough or waiting too long to get on each trowel.

-Troweling the same way every trowel.

Lay on up and down as per

Flatten across the wall

Lay on Second coat but make sure it’s knocked back with water or use fresh gear.

Flatten across the wall

First trowel with a sprinkle of water to reduce resistance.

Second trowel up and down (with water), like you do when laying on.

Third trowel across again with water (pre final)

Cross trowel (Hard final)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you get stuck in a cold plot again Joe I've got a big gas blower, really warms the walls up a treat. We used to point in through front door and give it a blast for 15 mins.
Cheers mate got a few fan heaters and a portable radiator in the garage so will persevere

We have had this problem (Tigering) for a while and experimented and found this routine is perfect. We add water early to reduce resistance between the wall and the trowel. They are a few main reasons why it happens

Have heard loads of gangs moaning about multi finish changing and noticed it ourselves. Everyone to there own but if people ring you up to do more work then we must be doing something right.

Flatten across the wall

Lay on Second coat but make sure it’s knocked back with water or use fresh gear.

Flatten across the wall

I think it' down to angle of trowel wetter plaster flatter trowel

1 coat and just keep on top of your trowling up on boardwork.

There really is no miracle cure and it really is that simple.

Water to early fucks everything up but equally when it's needed then use it!

I’m pretty sure I’ve mastered how to hold my trowel by now, I’m not one of those guys that takes off loads of gear.
Ye still getting stripes lol . Wasn't a dig its just what seems to work for me but i don't use multi anyway

Flatten across the wall

Flatten across the wall

b*ll***s