Expand

You can have my number if you want mate.
Gis a ring we'll have a good old fashioned English moan (y)(y)
Everyone I know seems to ring me to tell me how shite their day is ....and funnily enough they all work alone.
The trick is decent reggae mate....brings the sunshine back :)
Worse thing is working alone.
2nd worse thing is when most plasterers were at school we all thought we be millionaires by 25

Thanks m8 been my self 20 odd years don't whant to throw it away if I can just see the next 7 8 years out I can pack winter in then not wishing my life away.
It is very hard to step down a gear or two,especially from your own work,but it is rewarding if you can spend more time with family,or doing the things that you want to do in life with the people that you want to do them with.You could try it for a month or two,see how it goes?Its a bit like going on holiday,it takes a few days to wind down,it took me a year to wind down,but I felt I had to stick to what I knew and didnt want to retire fully,still got plenty to give,and can still cut it if/ when I need to.I tried subbing out my own work years ago,never worked,no one does it how you would,and although acceptable to the customer,was not acceptable to me,so knocked that on the head

If you have to ask then you havent got the workload to expand!

When people expand its through necessity not through choice.

You expand because your unable to fulfill contracts and schedules and the work just develops from there.

Sole traders on private work cant expand as such more buddy up with other spreads on a as and when basis.

To expand properly your opening yourself up to an absolute minefield!!

Worse thing is working alone.
2nd worse thing is when most plasterers were at school we all thought we be millionaires by 25

I had a young gang of joiners in my plot yesterday and started new plot today with young gang of dabbers....good laugh trying to fit in lol.
Showed the pups how to work though....actually good seeing young lads steaming in earning for Xmas all excited.

My brother flooded his plot when kitchen pipe burst yesterday...called me instead of the groundworkers lol.

Funny hearing other people's whinging lets me know I'm not alone :LOL:

You expand because your unable to fulfill contracts and schedules and the work just develops from there.

Sole traders on private work cant expand as such more buddy up with other spreads on a as and when basis.

That is the reason thats prob held me back

I agree,but to anyone who want to expand,bare in mind that doubling your workforce will not double your money.If you had say 15 sreads on,its reasonable to expect that 5 will make a good profit,5 will break even,and 5 may lose you money,it can vary all ways,then by the time you get more vans,wages,accounts,looking/pricing/chasing work,if you have men on the cards you have to find work for them,if you use subbies you have virtually no control over them,and thenBANG! you are in the middle of a minefield as mentioned above

I agree,but to anyone who want to expand,bare in mind that doubling your workforce will not double your money.If you had say 15 sreads on,its reasonable to expect that 5 will make a good profit,5 will break even,and 5 may lose you money,it can vary all ways,then by the time you get more vans,wages,accounts,looking/pricing/chasing work,if you have men on the cards you have to find work for them,if you use subbies you have virtually no control over them,and thenBANG! you are in the middle of a minefield as mentioned above

Plus they want thier money on Fridays and when finished price sections while you have to wait for draw stages and finished n signed off.

It is very hard to step down a gear or two,especially from your own work,but it is rewarding if you can spend more time with family,or doing the things that you want to do in life with the people that you want to do them with.You could try it for a month or two,see how it goes?Its a bit like going on holiday,it takes a few days to wind down,it took me a year to wind down,but I felt I had to stick to what I knew and didnt want to retire fully,still got plenty to give,and can still cut it if/ when I need to.I tried subbing out my own work years ago,never worked,no one does it how you would,and although acceptable to the customer,was not acceptable to me,so knocked that on the head
Il never stop working m8 Il carry on till I drop but I can't do winter anymore be nice when I reach my goal. Cold damp winter day fire on just chill out still do the od ceiling walls here and ther just to top my income

I thought it was more that the commitment would keep things going

I work on my own most of the time. Podcasts keep me happy. None more so than athletico mince podcasts (spotify etc , start at episode 15) Bob Mortimer and a talksport guy taking the piss out of footballers (gangs of the EPL, harry kane gets a sunburnt chin on holiday) Steve McClaren new career as a carpet salesman and minibus driver. And the fans favourite south African gangbangers

EE1B2C2D-F74A-447E-9E28-31967C393EF3.jpeg

I dont think I would be expanding... I did in 2006 and made good money for a few years then bailed and went travelling...

Now its all about a work/life balance for me...

Myself and mrs TPF have 10 years of hard work ahead of us but then we will have mortgages paid and our rentals will be sorted and will have probably built a couple of houses on a plot of land we have bought... or we will have sold the flippin lot for a lump sum... either which way 10 years ahead of us and then we are done

You can’t compare employing lads 20-30 years ago In the 80s and 90s to now in any case.
The amount of rights paye lads have now compared to then is another world, ie pension contributions, sick pay, holiday pay, insurances etc, your comparing apples with oranges.
But saying that Personally upscaling has been the best thing I’ve ever done, although just the rendering these days, but with my workforce we get through jobs quicker, more profit etc but you have to factor in paye perks into your profit margins and downtime this time of year with the weather.

I work on my own most of the time. Podcasts keep me happy. None more so than athletico mince podcasts (spotify etc , start at episode 15) Bob Mortimer and a talksport guy taking the piss out of footballers (gangs of the EPL, harry kane gets a sunburnt chin on holiday) Steve McClaren new career as a carpet salesman and minibus driver. And the fans favourite south African gangbangers

Have you heard the ballad of Barry homeowner?