Expanding business

carys

Before this covid19 arrived I was thinking of taking two lads on but it on hold now till next summer! What it is I've being a one man band for 20 odd years. I'm starting to feel the affect of wear and tear over the years. My plann is to take subie plastrer on and a young apprentice on would anybody recommend this. Don't whant make a fortune just easier life and a better wage than I would get working for the council ect lol...

Yes on bigger jobs I sub in mates regularly that I trained up years ago to make life easier, we help each other out on jobs when extra hands needed, labourer is very useful for render jobs and on big internal hits I can cope with spreading on my own.
Been at it a while so the wear n tear is bugging me now so anything to ease it while keeping the job speed and quality up is worth doing imo.

It's a lottery to find the right person ...

If they are any good they are alresdy self employed ...

That's true.

When I left the army my mate offered me a job working for him as a small building contractor. He said he'd got though ten men in only a few months.
.I stayed a couple of years before we had the inevitable fight.

Then I went on my own and I had the same trouble.

Still do.

If you was in London the prices are high and easier to make the profit that would pay for the stress of employing someone
Why not go for smaller jobs that involve skill and not volume , to get value from a labourer you want 3 spreads minimum on most jobs

I’ve been trying to do the same for a while but as others have said, generally have a nightmare finding decent people as if they’re half decent they’re obviously going to be doing their own thing. You have to try and find decent youngsters which is hard enough or blokes that don’t want the hassle of doing quotes, advertising, sourcing materials etc but even then they usually still want decent money so hard to make a decent amount on them to make all the extra hassle worthwhile! I’m thinking about going down the apprentice route myself but worry as soon as they get decent and a bit more clued up they’ll be off :confused:

Only live once, I say go for it and if it goes s**t up it’s better than never trying in first place

I’ve been trying to do the same for a while but as others have said, generally have a nightmare finding decent people as if they’re half decent they’re obviously going to be doing their own thing. You have to try and find decent youngsters which is hard enough or blokes that don’t want the hassle of doing quotes, advertising, sourcing materials etc but even then they usually still want decent money so hard to make a decent amount on them to make all the extra hassle worthwhile! I’m thinking about going down the apprentice route myself but worry as soon as they get decent and a bit more clued up they’ll be off :confused:
We have put 3 lads through college in total,paid there apprenticeship all way through to end of year 2,as soon as there could put 1 and half bag on there wanted £400 a week..see ya we said..I know 1 works nights at primark stocking shelves and other one went on to be a multi turder,and the other is now on the dole as he went to work in a factory as there were paying him more at the time,he just wouldn't listen,asked for his job bk about a year ago as it happens

We have put 3 lads through college in total,paid there apprenticeship all way through to end of year 2,as soon as there could put 1 and half bag on there wanted £400 a week..see ya we said..I know 1 works nights at primark stocking shelves and other one went on to be a multi turder,and the other is now on the dole as he went to work in a factory as there were paying him more at the time,he just wouldn't listen,asked for his job bk about a year ago as it happens
Nightmare, that’s why I don’t want to risk it.. how many blokes do you have working with you then?

2 skilled labourers are better than a labour and a subby,
Half the time you're paying top rates for a subby to do a labourers job,

I get through my workload a lot quicker this way and it costs me less

Nightmare, that’s why I don’t want to risk it.. how many blokes do you have working with you then?
None pal,not worth the hassle,had subbys in past,ended up buying 2 bags of easi fill every other week,any1 decent is either plodding along by themselves etc,just 2 of us..your best with a apprentice,there a hindrance 4 first 6 months but then there pay for themselves and earn you money if there have anything about them,just a shame its prob parents getting into there heads saying ask for more money

Yeah 2 of us as well but will have a look into apprenticeships a bit further I reck and maybe even the skilled labourers could be an option, just hard to keep labourers busy all the time though on certain jobs

2 skilled labourers are better than a labour and a subby,
Half the time you're paying top rates for a subby to do a labourers job,

I get through my workload a lot quicker this way and it costs me less
I’m not even sure there’s such a thing as a skilled labourer in plastering in the North West. As soon as they get some “skill” they’re taking on their own jobs and before you know it driving a brand new van and competing for your jobs.

I Have a mixture of subbies, plus some on books,I’ve had lads start off as labourers and Make good spreads.my right hand man started as a bag man on machine 8 years ago, I’ve bumped him up and given him responsibilities and now he runs most of my projects. I only tackle rendering and it’s very labour intense so I need a few gangs to get through projects. The crux of it is to get others to do physical graft, make your money with your head and not your hands, your body will thank you for it in later life.

I’m not even sure there’s such a thing as a skilled labourer in plastering in the North West. As soon as they get some “skill” they’re taking on their own jobs and before you know it driving a brand new van and competing for your jobs.
Yep some do that, but I’ve one or two that can’t be arsed with the hasstle of it being on there own, so there happy for the wage every Friday and switching off at the weekend.

It's really difficult to get a right lads,
You need them without ambition but with work ethic,
a bit thick but not too thick just enough to be able to to-do everything but not apply and flatten off,
Mine are as good as me at rubbing up texture and scratching off monocouche
But couldn't lay it on to save their lives

It's really difficult to get a right lads,
You need them without ambition but with work ethic,
a bit thick but not too thick just enough to be able to to-do everything but not apply and flatten off,
Mine are as good as me at rubbing up texture and scratching off monocouche
But couldn't lay it on to save their lives
That a good idea that just teach them to scratch coat and put skim on and do the donkey work. Good thinking batman

Before this covid19 arrived I was thinking of taking two lads on but it on hold now till next summer! What it is I've being a one man band for 20 odd years. I'm starting to feel the affect of wear and tear over the years. My plann is to take subie plastrer on and a young apprentice on would anybody recommend this. Don't whant make a fortune just easier life and a better wage than I would get working for the council ect lol...
No