Damp proofing rip off

Members online

No members online now.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OK smart arse what about rising damp existing when there is a damp proof course? which nearly all the time there is a dampproof course but the conmen still come up with rising damp. Ive got a downstairs toilet, single skin, with a vent, a flatroof above it, no rad, on the ground floor, come winter the walls are damp as **** and the ceiling is dripping wet. This year there is not a single drop of water what do you think i did to solve the problem?

Complained to the council?

Only for the dedicated seekers of the truth. Look up up the following for a detailed description of rising damp, the problems in describing it, that it exists and that chemical injection has been demonstrated to reduce or stop it.
luv steve
[h=1]Scientific Review[/h]Journal of Building Appraisal (2010) 6, 5–19. doi:10.1057/jba.2010.13
[h=2]The rising damp tests of Camberwell Pier: Potential height of moisture rise in brickwork and the effectiveness of a modern chemical injection cream damp coursing application[/h]Ralph Burkinshaw[SUP]1[/SUP]
Correspondence: Ralph Burkinshaw, 32 Acland Crescent, London, SE5 8EQ, UK. E-mail: rf.burkinshaw2@ukonline.co.uk; Web: www.damp-diagnosis.co.uk
[SUP]1[/SUP]is a chartered building surveyor, visiting lecturer and independent dampness consultant. He carries out investigations all over the United Kingdom, whenever a professional opinion is sought on the cause of dampness or suitable remediation.
Received 24 May 2010; Revised 24 May 2010.

Omg. Let's agree to disagree :RpS_biggrin:

Its like being married :RpS_cursing:

Might have a job for you next week Steve, my mates reckon your mrs knickers are always wet when your finished, I disagree and presume they would be very very dry :RpS_laugh:

The problem with Iris-spread is that he is used to airing his views in the pub, the cafe and on-site or wherever he holds court without being subject to dissenting views. Out in the wider world of the internet he is surprised that someone disputes his assertions.
To be challenged and to be unable to answer the challenge he attempts to bluff and bluster his way through and of course employs the age-old technique of attacking the messenger and throwing in sexual and offensive remarks to bolster his otherwise failed attempt to support an untenable position.
In all of this he has tied himself to the following statements;
There is no such thing as rising damp’.
Every case of "rising damp" I have ever done iis NOT rising damp and I've been doing damp jobs for nearly 30 years. My dads been a plasterer for 50+ years and he agrees

I'm gonna say it once more, rising damp does NOT exist. Went round to the poor old bird today to see what they had done. £2100 for 8m2 of rener and skim, salt neutraliser , skirting renewal etc, total job over £3500. Massive nationwide company. Next time u guys 'spot lol' rising damp just give me your card and pin no
Having linked himself to these views he can’t to admit otherwise or he would lose face in front of his internet pals. To admit he was wrong takes the sort of balls that this type of bullying personality rarely exhibits.
There is a madness in all of this. I probably accept all his views of the damp-proofing industry in respect of its dishonesty and failure to properly diagnose problems. There are however some reasonable companies with decent standards and competence. Our difference is that there is clearly an observable phenomenon called rising damp.
In attempting to rubbish my point of view Irish-spread attempts to seek out my history presumably to poor scorn on it in a further attempt at attacking the messenger. To clarify the situation I have absolutely no ties with any damp-proofing companies or damp-proof materials suppliers. Some of my views on the industry expressed in my responses come from a dissertation I wrote in the mid-1990’s which was critical of damp-proofing companies, their competence and their honesty. My view was and remains that in respect of damp problems no person or company should diagnose, specify the solution and undertake the work; diagnoses and inspection where necessary should be done by someone independent.

Steve

The problem with Iris-spread is that he is used to airing his views in the pub, the cafe and on-site or wherever he holds court without being subject to dissenting views. Out in the wider world of the internet he is surprised that someone disputes his assertions.
To be challenged and to be unable to answer the challenge he attempts to bluff and bluster his way through and of course employs the age-old technique of attacking the messenger and throwing in sexual and offensive remarks to bolster his otherwise failed attempt to support an untenable position.
In all of this he has tied himself to the following statements;
There is no such thing as rising damp’.
Every case of "rising damp" I have ever done iis NOT rising damp and I've been doing damp jobs for nearly 30 years. My dads been a plasterer for 50+ years and he agrees

I'm gonna say it once more, rising damp does NOT exist. Went round to the poor old bird today to see what they had done. £2100 for 8m2 of rener and skim, salt neutraliser , skirting renewal etc, total job over £3500. Massive nationwide company. Next time u guys 'spot lol' rising damp just give me your card and pin no
Having linked himself to these views he can’t to admit otherwise or he would lose face in front of his internet pals. To admit he was wrong takes the sort of balls that this type of bullying personality rarely exhibits.
There is a madness in all of this. I probably accept all his views of the damp-proofing industry in respect of its dishonesty and failure to properly diagnose problems. There are however some reasonable companies with decent standards and competence. Our difference is that there is clearly an observable phenomenon called rising damp.
In attempting to rubbish my point of view Irish-spread attempts to seek out my history presumably to poor scorn on it in a further attempt at attacking the messenger. To clarify the situation I have absolutely no ties with any damp-proofing companies or damp-proof materials suppliers. Some of my views on the industry expressed in my responses come from a dissertation I wrote in the mid-1990’s which was critical of damp-proofing companies, their competence and their honesty. My view was and remains that in respect of damp problems no person or company should diagnose, specify the solution and undertake the work; diagnoses and inspection where necessary should be done by someone independent.

Steve

I can't show you something that doesn't exist.

How about you show me this rising damp ?

now think this is nolonger a talk on damp but a character assassination on Irish
but making for a good read !!

To Flynnyman
Earlier you wrote Your english blah, blah .....l but stop bullshitting and show us some proof rising damp exists.
And then, as above ....

Journal of Building Appraisal - The rising damp tests of Camberwell Pier: Potential height of moisture rise in brickwork and the effectiveness of a modern chemical injection cream damp coursing application

What level of proof do require, does the above journal satisfy a moderators opinion? If not satisfactory it is now time for you who assert there is no rising damp to provide us with credible proof, that means more than the anecdotal experiences of Irish plasterers

Steve.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz sorry you say something !!

So you guys who think rising damp does not exist, i'm interested to know if you were building an extension on your own house, would you bother putting a dpc in?

flynnman will you spit it out mate! freed is losing sleep over it and steve needs a new keyboard haha seriously though we all want to know my last guess is you took the door off?

Yea I didn't sleep last night my mind was working overtime, I didn't come up with any other possibilities though maybe he removed the dpc? lol

LOL i forgot about this thread well what i did was remove the toilet :)
Ive turned it into a cloak room and guess what no damp. This tells me there was nothing wrong with the plaster,dpc,vent,floor,ceiling,window and the paint. Steve tell me how rising damp suddenly appears after such a long time? dont tell me the dpc has broke down it is always mis-diagnosis and is caused by something else. I have read your links and ive also read a lot of other links and my conclusion is rising damp does not exist it is always something else. Here are a few things from the link which make me think if something is so common why use words like;
"Definitions of words and terms form the cornerstone of language. As readers will appreciate, there is a little confusion in the industry concerning exactly what ‘rising damp’ is. This is mainly because the Building Research Establishment (BRE) have not yet in the author's opinion carefully and adequately defined it. There is very little independent published advice concerning diagnosis and remediation of wallbase damp problems."
"So a rise of moisture in a brick pier cannot prove or disprove the existence of rising damp as a phenomena."
What i want to see is proof and i mean see it, ive sorted loads of damp problems and it has never involved injecting anything into a wall.

LOL i forgot about this thread well what i did was remove the toilet :)
Ive turned it into a cloak room and guess what no damp. This tells me there was nothing wrong with the plaster,dpc,vent,floor,ceiling,window and the paint. Steve tell me how rising damp suddenly appears after such a long time? dont tell me the dpc has broke down it is always mis-diagnosis and is caused by something else. I have read your links and ive also read a lot of other links and my conclusion is rising damp does not exist it is always something else. Here are a few things from the link which make me think if something is so common why use words like;
"Definitions of words and terms form the cornerstone of language. As readers will appreciate, there is a little confusion in the industry concerning exactly what ‘rising damp’ is. This is mainly because the Building Research Establishment (BRE) have not yet in the author's opinion carefully and adequately defined it. There is very little independent published advice concerning diagnosis and remediation of wallbase damp problems."
"So a rise of moisture in a brick pier cannot prove or disprove the existence of rising damp as a phenomena."
What i want to see is proof and i mean see it, ive sorted loads of damp problems and it has never involved injecting anything into a wall.

reminds me of a mates rate job me and another lad did for a proper mate we both grew up with!

he paid this clown £250 to inject the walls we knocked off a metre high and used limelight then he tried blaming us when it went tits up..............not to mention he started pva'ing and painting before the walls were dry!! some people are born to get scammed.

just a thought if you had re boarded the walls with aqua board the toilet could have stayed i guess?

As NPS says it is getting a bit boring (and long winded lol )

The quick answer is how can thousands of rising damp companies exist ( not so many in the rep of Ireland for some reason :rolleyes) ) to cure this rising damp phenomenon which we are told by Steve is so common in the Uk.

But it's also not that common by his own admission.

s**t big bird, I just saw mr snuffleuffagus

I will close this thread if everyone else agrees ??

Unless we see some evidence :RpS_confused:

So flynny if you were building an extension on your house would you bother putting a damp proof course in? I mean there really is no point is there?

Might as well spend the money on something else like some coat hangers for your new cloak room or something?

So flynny if you were building an extension on your house would you bother putting a damp proof course in? I mean there really is no point is there?

Might as well spend the money on something else like some coat hangers for your new cloak room or something?

It would cost about a tenner FreeD. A dpc will protect in the future against the outside ground height being increased, raised patio etc. the dpc is recommended to be about 6" above ground level , why's that I wonder ? A dpc (chemical one as well stops it. Doesn't it ?..... Erm

It would cost about a tenner FreeD. A dpc will protect in the future against the outside ground height being increased, raised patio etc. the dpc is recommended to be about 6" above ground level , why's that I wonder ? A dpc (chemical one as well stops it. Doesn't it ?..... Erm

I was thinking you could just dig a trench round your house and not bother with the dpc. Maybe just a tenner but thats 30 odd coat hangers. If you did get rising damp later you could just install a chemical course? Just thought it might be a good experiment or something to offer your customers '£10 discount no dpc'.

Last edited:
I was thinking you could just dig a trench round your house and not bother with the dpc. Maybe just a tenner but thats 30 odd coat hangers. If you did get rising damp later you could just install a chemical course? Just thought it might be a good experiment or something to offer your customers £10 discount.

Pits good night from him :RpS_thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.