Damp proof membrane question, hope im not going mad

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

peterroberts

Gone to a job today and got a few questions just to put my mind at rest.
should have taken some photos but anyway will try and explain
client has had a dam proof course done. First thing i noticed when I went in was that the wall had been knocked off to 8 inches in height, yes i did say 8 inch, the wall had then been boarded and the gap filled with bonding between existing SC and the new boards, then skimmed over. Looking at the gap under the boards i noticed the membrane.
Asked the client what exactly had been done, she tells me that this is what her builder had specified would correct the damp issues, he had also injected the outer wall, this had been done four weeks ago at a cost of £1200 not bad for a ten football, im obviously vastly undercharging, anyway when i explained the reason the wall was still damp she rang said builder and plasterer who both blamed each other, I politely asked the plasterer what he had done exactly with the wall, and could he explain why the wall was still pee wet through, according to him his dabs take that long to dry out.
anyway after hacking the wall back and inspecting his work i was amazed to see that he had bridged the membrane with his dabs, explaining where the water was coming from.
I have advised the client that I will be back next week to S&C the wall up to the metre i have knocked off and then be back later to rues kim the wall, after explaining this to her builder he has nicely told me that I am wrong it what I am doing and theres no need to remove all that from the wall. I have never seen such a terrible job in all my years, so im just wondering now if I am going mad
along with all the above when I showed the customer how far out the wall was that had been boarded she said the plasterer had told her that that was normal for damp courses, the wall was over 40 mil out of plumb, please someone tell me this isnt the worst they have ever heard of
sorry for the essay would have been easier with photos, will get some next weekend

If you have already knocked off id render it. Waterproof chemical, salt inhibitor. Just in case cavity is blocked or bridged thus bypassing membrane. Sound a right pair of comedians.

Sounds just like a job that was done for me a few years back fracking horrendous plastering. would of been good if you could of given us some photos.

While you have got the plaster off, inject it again. There's no saying that was done right.

membranes come in handy in some situations but can also cause problems.... these guys though are taking the pith.....

Well said carlos , at least mention it to the customer and its there choice , if they have done the plastering side wrong it doesnt look good at the bookies on the odds for the injecting lol

True never actualy thought of that bit , best give her a bell tomorrow, not sure what the husbands going to do to the builder she tells me hes built like a barn door, so wouldnt like to be the guys who did it in the first place, especially after the way the plasterer was talking to both me and her, a few choice words exchanged with the pair of us

True never actualy thought of that bit , best give her a bell tomorrow, not sure what the husbands going to do to the builder she tells me hes built like a barn door, so wouldnt like to be the guys who did it in the first place, especially after the way the plasterer was talking to both me and her, a few choice words exchanged with the pair of us

The best thing to do is treat the job as if it has never been done. Thats the only way you can guarantee its been done right.

Status
Not open for further replies.