Damp proofing rip off

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stick around please Steve, you're knowledge could be useful to a few of us on here.
Just ....err, shorter replies if possible :RpS_thumbup:

TO FLYNNYMAN
CONCERNING W.C. ROOM

LOL i forgot about this thread well what i did was remove the toilet :)
Ive turned it into a cloak room and guess what no damp. This tells me there was nothing wrong with the plaster,dpc,vent,floor,ceiling,window and the paint. Steve tell me how rising damp suddenly appears after such a long time? dont tell me the dpc has broke down it is always mis-diagnosis and is caused by something else.

Situation you describe is that of condensation, to the extent its possible to figure out what you are explaining.. Porcelain being cold and if close coupled the cistern traps still air behind it. Still air promotes condensation problems: whereas moving air has a drying affect. Removing w.c frees up space and allows easier air circulation I presume room is small like 2 metres by one metre. Bigger rooms problem less likely. I am unsure as to why you mention d.p.c..

As for Dpc breaking down its very common with pre-Second World War housing with bitumen dpc. I don’t recall ever seeing a plastic dpc post Second World War that has broke down. As time goes by (average house occupancy is 8 eight years or was before recent economic collapse in UK) all older bitumen dpc’s are being replaced. That breaking down DPC’S is always a mis-diagnosis your assertion is wrong.

Once again you are wrong Steve.

Pre second world war has mainly slate dpc s. it's true that house settlement can cause the dpc to crack in places but it beggars belief that a few hairline cracks can cause large areas of wet walls that you call rising damp.

My house was built in 1896.

I was gutted when it caught rising damp in 1996, the year I bought it. I told the surveyor that this was not rising damp but was caused by high external ground levels.
he told me I was talking rubbish and that I needed a chemical dpc + a certificate. My mate gave me the useless bit of paper for nothing and I put in a French drain and rendered.

Guess what, it's been bone dry ever since. :RpS_scared:

The continuing insistence on proof prevents short answers. This reply is not for Bubbles 65

FLYNNYMAN says

I have read your links and ive also read a lot of other links and my conclusion is rising damp does not exist it is always something else. Here are a few things from the link which make me think if something is so common why use words like;

Point 1.
"Definitions of words and terms form the cornerstone of language. As readers will appreciate, there is a little confusion in the industry concerning exactly what ‘rising damp’ is. This is mainly because the Building Research Establishment (BRE) have not yet in the author's opinion carefully andadequately defined it. There is very little independent published advice concerning diagnosis and remediation of wallbase damp problems."

Point 2.
"So a rise of moisture in a brick pier cannot prove or disprove the existence of rising damp as a phenomena."
Point 3.
What i want to see is proof and i mean see it, ive sorted loads of damp problems and it has never involved injecting anything into a wall.

MY ANSWER

You have required that in order that I meet your requirement that I prove rising damp exists. This is contrary to the norm. In our society the nuisance of rising damp is well documented even if not well-understood and for this reason a dpc is installed in various locations in new-build and alteration. You and others are challenging the accepted view the onus of providing sound reasons, short of proof, for your reasoning consequently falls on you. The ball is in the court of the non-believers.

a. The first thing to point out is that despite repeated observations, along the lines of if rising damp does not exist - why do we have dpc’s - you need to really address this. The reason why we have dpc’s is to stop damp rising up walls in buildings. Why do you continue to ignore this very valid point and fail to provide us with the reason for the building regs being so defective?

Re; Point 1. Where does this comment come from? You might be quoting something which is only partially reflects the writers intentions or the writer might be a complete thicko or currently receiving psychiatric advice. I don’t accept that this piece of writing is a demonstration that a phenomenon that is experienced all over the world does not exist.

Re Point 2. The rise of moisture in a brick pier DOES prove rising dampness but there is a modest problem with definitions. In a normal wall in a building which rises out of the ground the common visual appearance of rising damp, staining and efflorescence is a consequence of ground salts which have been drawn up and into the wall. When examining buildings in the real world these salts are needed to confirm the diagnosis of rising damp; no salts no rising damp problem. A brick pier built off plywood or concrete where dampness rises up it has no salts present and thus does not meet the specific definition of rd. Cornerstones of language, so to speak, do not discount the existence of rising damp nor does the present modest inadequacies of a definition. Moisture rises up walls without a dpc, not always but so often as to make it worthwhile to put a dpc in every new build wall in the UK. It is what practical people do to solve a problem.

I have previously mentioned that rising damp can be easily observed in gypsum and plasterboard explain why this is not rising dampness?

Jeff Howell the most prominent brick pier experimenter claims that rising damp is a myth because he could not get damp to rise up his walls. To have achieved rising damp in a pier is of itself the destruction of this argument. If rising damp does not exist it cannot climb any wall or building material; but dampness does. The conclusion is self evident except to those who refuse to believe the blindingly obvious. You need to address these points and tell us what it is that is happening if water climbing a brick pier is not rising damp.

Point 3. A multitude of points have been raised in this thread that you of the denying persuasion conveniently fail to address, you are like flat-earthers you are blind to the obvious and insist on others proving that which is self-evident.

Pick up any building defects book and there are numerous photos of rising damp with the symptomatic tide mark running around a room. What interests me is that if you have a load of damp experience ( and I fully believe you about treating many cases of damp), normally you would be aware of this, first it is revealed by eyesight, a non-calibrated damp meter reveals the characteristic fall-off of readings, salts are apparent at the high point, and salts tests reveal nitrates and chlorides

Haven’t you come across situations where the plaster has failed after the insertion of a dpc because someone used Carlight Browning? Where do you think the salts come from that cause the problem with Browning? Where rising damp is concerned replastering does not solve the problem; it simply covers it up. I mentioned a situation where two sides of a wall were rendered using sand and cement which in the course of a few months drove the water within the wall another 300 mm up the wall…if this does not constitute proof, how would you explain it other than rising damp? - the moisture has to come from somewhere?.

We who believe in rising damp would like to hear what experiments you have to support your argument and if by research papers give us their references so we can have a look. I am not challenging your sincerity but I genuinely fail to understand how any objective examination of the published data on rising damp can result in the denial of its existence.

Regards Steve

We who believe in rising damp would like to hear what experiments you have to support your argument and if by research papers give us their references so we can have a look. I am not challenging your sincerity but I genuinely fail to understand how any objective examination of the published data on rising damp can result in the denial of its existence.

Regards Steve[/QUOTE]

Steve I'm sure you're a genuine bloke and to be honest I only come on here lately to reply to your replies. Bearing in mind I started this thread to point out that I was a bit p1ssed off that an old bird had been conned by a rising damp firm. You are the one that is shouting from the sidelines saying I'm incorrect. I AM correct, you haven't seen this job, or any of the scam diagnosis of dampness I have seen over the years. How come you are the only person that can find the rising dampness ?

" we who believe in rising damp......" LMAO

And just as a matter of interest, why do you post , wait for a reply (me normally :RpS_laugh:) then log off, come back 4/5 hrs later with a reply and the circle starts again. Are you really from France originally as a matter of interest ? I'll log on again in 4 hrs time

TO IRISH-SPREAD

1. Once again you are wrong Steve.

2. Pre second world war has mainly slate dpc s. it's true that house settlement can cause the dpc to crack in places but it beggars belief that a few hairline cracks can cause large areas of wet walls that you call rising damp.

3. My house was built in 1896.

4. I was gutted when it caught rising damp in 1996, the year I bought it. I told the surveyor that this was not rising damp but was caused by high external ground levels.
he told me I was talking rubbish and that I needed a chemical dpc + a certificate. My mate gave me the useless bit of paper for nothing and I put in a French drain and rendered.

5. Guess what, it's been bone dry ever since.
C:\Users\steve\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image001.gif

MY ANSWER, HAVE YOU JUSTY GOT BACK FROM THE PUB
Concrning 1. Above I do not know what you mean by suggesting that something was wrong in my post
2. If I goggle slate dpc and bitumen dpc I get 193,000 responses for slate and only 64,000 for bitumen. You might be right that slate is more common nationwide, but I never said or suggested that my point concerned the most common type of pre World War Two damp proof course material. It is simply a common material used where I lived in West Yorkshire and fails due to ageing and consequently allows moisture rise up the wall.
4. I am glad that you did not fall for the damp-proofing industry con. Many houses have no dpc and are dry. Am happy that everything you say is perfectly correct in respect of your experiences. Our disagreement is that I do not accept that rising dampness does not exist.

Google all you like Steve, you have finally agreed on all my posts and no, I have not justy got back from the pub, maybe you have maybe perhaps maybe got got back from ze pub :RpS_biggrin:

Are you Polish by any chance (wiv ze norzern accent :RpS_sneaky:) ?

So what your saying steve is that the salts can only come up from the ground?

No, you get them in urine with dogs and animals peeing against building structure, they are a big problem in chimney breasts especially at ground level but also coming down from the bedroom ceiling, you get them when builders use sea sand without it being washed. In respect of rising damp they provide a characteristic pattern which if absent usually means no rising damp and if present might be enough to conclude rising damp or more investigation. In cellars and under dwellings external walls which are underground pass salts horizontally into walls that connect to them. Generally salts will go in any direction if there is moisture and the adjacent area is dry.​

Google all you like Steve, you have finally agreed on all my posts and no, I have not justy got back from the pub, maybe you have maybe perhaps maybe got got back from ze pub :RpS_biggrin:

Are you Polish by any chance (wiv ze norzern accent :RpS_sneaky:) ?

I think either you are unable to read or you dop not understand the English language. Is your first language Gaelic? If so this will explain a lot

Yes my first language is Gaelic, I'm from county Meath, but I also speak some German, some Latin and very little French. Mmm it seems ur not all u purport to be :RpS_laugh:

Irish -spread asks
And just as a matter of interest, why do you post , wait for a reply (me normally
:RpS_laugh:) then log off, come back 4/5 hrs later with a reply and the circle starts again. Are you really from France originally as a matter of interest ? I'll log on again in 4 hrs time.

I didn't realise that you lot did this 'live' So I posted and then went and did something useful.

I'm English born, with three Irish grandparents and an Irish surname.

Yes my first language is Gaelic, I'm from county Meath, but I also speak some German, some Latin and very little French. Mmm it seems ur not all u purport to be :RpS_laugh:

I am all and more than what I purport to be. And plasterers vocabulary should not extend to purport..I think you have been reading too much.

Purport came up on me US iPad lol. you are deffo not Irish although you could be English (any colour/creed) . Polish I reckon :RpS_thumbup:

I might be 3/4 Irish but I'm not that daft to give you my surname! You'll be turning up wanting accommodation. Father from Leitrum where our surname is common

Steve im finding it very difficult to answer your threads co it would mean a long script like your which i cant be bothered to write i will however answer some of the bits i can remember coz they stand out in my head. you said " In a normal wall in a building which rises out of the ground the common visual appearance of rising damp, staining and efflorescence is a consequence of ground salts which have been drawn up and into the wall." then say "No, you get them in urine with dogs and animals peeing against building structure, they are a big problem in chimney breasts especially at ground level but also coming down from the bedroom ceiling, you get them when builders use sea sand without it being washed." you also mention DPC "As for Dpc breaking down its very common with pre-Second World War housing with bitumen dpc. I don’t recall ever seeing a plastic dpc post Second World War that has broke down." so with this information rising damp as you like to call it can not exist after the war or since the introduction of plastic DPC? you also mentioned my WC "Removing w.c frees up space and allows easier air circulation I presume room is small like 2 metres by one metre. Bigger rooms problem less likely. I am unsure as to why you mention d.p.c.." your right the room is small they usually are and if you think the toilet was taking up a lot of space and removing it has solved the problem maybe i should stand it in there not plumbed in and see if the problem comes back, I mentioned DPC coz this is the reason most conmen tell people they have rising damp and its failed, this is not the problem in that room.
You also said "why do we have dpc’s - you need to really address this. The reason why we have dpc’s is to stop damp rising up walls in buildings. Why do you continue to ignore this very valid point and fail to provide us with the reason for the building regs being so defective?" Well its been mentioned in a previous thread in other countries these are not used and it is a bit of a running joke as to why we use them, im not sure of the country it might be the netherlands and ive not checked to see if its true so why not tell me why other countries dont use them? you mentioned " I mentioned a situation where two sides of a wall were rendered using sand and cement which in the course of a few months drove the water within the wall another 300 mm up the wall…if this does not constitute proof, how would you explain it other than rising damp? - the moisture has to come from somewhere?. your right and without me seeing it a cant tell you. Also you keep using these type of words to describe what your saying "usually means no rising damp" and if present "might be enough to conclude rising". You see what i mean we on here want definates and if its that common maybe a couple of pics xxxxx

Someone asked where in France do you live Malestroit in Brittany

Yeah it was me that asked, my place is near Corlay not far from lac de guerledan.
If you know where that is its not that far from you.

So are you a plasterer Steve?
And are you working as a plasterer in France?

Oh & have you got a dpc in your property? :RpS_biggrin:
I haven't :)

Can't believe we have actually got some1 with a brain on the forum, makes such a nice change from the normal inane bullsh*t.

Flynny and Irish would you bother putting a bellcast above dpc when your external rendering? Or just render over dpc? maybe even take the render to the ground? What would you say is best practice and why pls?

Look here. I have had a lifetimes battle with the English language as as I am concerned, for example, was is pronounced WAZ and woz should be the correct spelling of was. If Paddies can't spell phonetically you'll get whatever I fancy. Regarding Leetrum the family farm was in the sticks but near Ballinamore ( I can't be arsed checking the spelling).

Look here. I have had a lifetimes battle with the English language as as I am concerned, for example, was is pronounced WAZ and woz should be the correct spelling of was. If Paddies can't spell phonetically you'll get whatever I fancy. Regarding Leetrum the family farm was in the sticks but near Ballinamore ( I can't be arsed checking the spelling).

My dads from ballinamore, well just outside. A place called drumcoura.

We could be related :-0

Blocked and bridged cavities?
How often do you see that, especially now that cavities are insulated .

If you are worried about blocked/bridged cavities putting a bell cast on at ground level won't stop dampness around a bridged cavity at for example, 1st floor level.

THIS IS ON LY FOR FLYNNY
FLYNNY WRITES Steve im finding it very difficult to answer your threads co it would mean a long script like your which i cant be bothered to write i will however answer some of the bits i can remember coz they stand out in my head. you said
. " In a normal wall in a building which rises out of the ground the common visual appearance of rising damp, staining and efflorescence is a consequence of ground salts which have been drawn up and into the wall." then say

"No, you get them in urine with dogs and animals peeing against building structure, they are a big problem in chimney breasts especially at ground level but also coming down from the bedroom ceiling, you get them when builders use sea sand without it being washed." you also mention DPC "As for Dpc breaking down its very common with pre-Second World War housing with bitumen dpc. I don’t recall ever seeing a plastic dpc post Second World War that has broke down."
STEVE WRITES Concerning ‘No’ as above. This was in answer to your question you wrote which I copied in my response as below:.
FLYNNY WROTE “ So what your saying steve is that the salts can only come up from the ground”

AND STEVE REPLIED No, you get them in urine with dogs and animals peeing against building structure, they are a big problem in chimney breasts especially at ground level but also coming down from the bedroom ceiling, you get them when builders use sea sand without it being washed. In respect of rising damp they provide a characteristic pattern which if absent usually means no rising damp and if present might be enough to conclude rising damp or more investigation. In cellars and under dwellings external walls which are underground pass salts horizontally into walls that connect to them. Generally salts will go in any direction if there is moisture and the adjacent area is dry.

Do you want me to go through the rest of the post, you might fall asleep, I will if you ask

THIS IS ON LY FOR FLYNNY
FLYNNY WRITES Steve im finding it very difficult to answer your threads co it would mean a long script like your which i cant be bothered to write i will however answer some of the bits i can remember coz they stand out in my head. you said
. " In a normal wall in a building which rises out of the ground the common visual appearance of rising damp, staining and efflorescence is a consequence of ground salts which have been drawn up and into the wall." then say

"No, you get them in urine with dogs and animals peeing against building structure, they are a big problem in chimney breasts especially at ground level but also coming down from the bedroom ceiling, you get them when builders use sea sand without it being washed." you also mention DPC "As for Dpc breaking down its very common with pre-Second World War housing with bitumen dpc. I don’t recall ever seeing a plastic dpc post Second World War that has broke down."
STEVE WRITES Concerning ‘No’ as above. This was in answer to your question you wrote which I copied in my response as below:.
FLYNNY WROTE “ So what your saying steve is that the salts can only come up from the ground”

AND STEVE REPLIED No, you get them in urine with dogs and animals peeing against building structure, they are a big problem in chimney breasts especially at ground level but also coming down from the bedroom ceiling, you get them when builders use sea sand without it being washed. In respect of rising damp they provide a characteristic pattern which if absent usually means no rising damp and if present might be enough to conclude rising damp or more investigation. In cellars and under dwellings external walls which are underground pass salts horizontally into walls that connect to them. Generally salts will go in any direction if there is moisture and the adjacent area is dry.

Do you want me to go through the rest of the post, you might fall asleep, I will if you ask

Steve, at the bottom of each post there is a 'reply with quote' thing. Please use it, your posts are soooooooooo difficult to decipher.

Flynny and Irish would you bother putting a bellcast above dpc when your external rendering? Or just render over dpc? maybe even take the render to the ground? What would you say is best practice and why pls?

Non of my business but if you take on the decision for example when you are working for a member of the public you need to do the work in accordance with best practice. Following a code provides you with a defence against someone who says your work is defective or if someone won't pay and you take them to court they don't have an escape mechanism by way of claiming crap workmanship. If its your own house when you come to selling it deals with smart arsed surveyors looking for building defects. Following a code permits you to defeat chartered persons in court otherwise they tend to win cos of professional status. . Whenever you break with a code of practice you have taken a design decision for which you are responsible.
Break the continuity of render at the dpc and fit a bell cast. Bridging the dpc may permit moisture to rise in the render or behind it, well it might if you are sane and believe in rising damp.​

" smart arsed surveyors "
Now we're talking.

And if, for example you did bridge the dpc with render on this cavity wall would the (huge :RpS_lol: ) amount of water that would "rise " up your 25 mm thick render cause the rising dampness you suggest ? I think not.

The problem nowadays is that people have swallowed all the bull from surveyors and damp companies about this rising damp thing. You need to approach the subject with an open mind and to find what is casing the dampness.

And what's your dads surname Steve ? My surname is Wrynn, a common surname in them parts

Status
Not open for further replies.