Damp proofing rip off

Status
Not open for further replies.

irish_spread

Private Member
Priced up a job a few months ago for an old bird. She had a raised patio which was bridging the dpc. Internal plaster was shot. Told her she needed a pea shingle trench, air ricks and inside rendered. £900 job done. She insisted on a 25 yr guarantee so I said ,no, give it to one of the big firms.
she paid them£3700 and they then told her to get the patio lowered and and air bricks put in after they had finished.

And this is one of the Biggest Dpc companies on the market :RpS_cursing:

Last edited:
The big Damp firms are a bunch of daylight robbers. I was looking at buying a shell of a house that needed at bit of tanking and repair. I had two quotes, One from a large firm that came in at about 6k, and one from a local small business that came in at £800 with me replacing the joists etc and making good shot plaster. Both offered the same guarantee.
As it happens i didnt buy the house due to the survey, but guess who i use now when i need a dpc injection?! it aint the big firms.

She's one of them old fashioned deeply religious types, must be 60+ but still working etc. the hack off, render and skim would have taken 3 (1/2) days max, so say £600. External work 1 day.

Total job is now gonna cost over 4k.

Andyr. Get a local experienced spread to render with sov render mix or similar. Forget about injection mate :RpS_thumbup:

I went for the cream injection, (ooer sounds wrong), as i wanted it done purely for the paperwork for resale. I've only got one bit of internal rendering to do. Well an entire utility once im done demo work. This rendermix from sovereign, is it premixed job? just add water? or an admixture?

A waterproof admixture with a built in salt neutraliser although I've started using an additional salt neutraliser on the bricks lately. If you have dampness in you're utility room it almost certainly won't be "rising damp "

Ive heard that safeguards Dryzone is supposed to be the best cream on the market

Do alot for damp companies they know how to charge ! but would i like to put a 30 year guarantee on a bit of sand and cement and a chemical that has not been out for 30 years ???? no thanks

my mate had his damp proofing done then a year later he put it on the market, the surveyor came round with the 2 prong and said yep its got damp, he showed him the 25 year guarantee and he said go back to the company (a big one round here) they told him they wont do anything so the contacted the citizens advise only to be told that the guarantee is only of any use if the company agree to do the work, so in other words it wasnt worth the paper it was writ on

It was not the chemical companies that ever originally stated the long guarantee ,it was the companies that brought it ,i think it started as 10 year then for advertising they tried to complete with other damp companies 15 ,20 ,30 .So now you pay for a underwritten guarantee to safe guard the bull s**t

Lol. This is my point. All my local 'cheap cheap my friend" damp proofing companies are ltd- which means limited liability- their assets are generally the firm van so when the company gets its 1st problem job it goes bust. I've been in my area 20+ years. There is no such thing as rising damp :RpS_scared:

^^^ if its not rising damp what is it ??? it is a proven fact. I guess there is no such thing as penetrating damp either.

wel i think the guarantee is only as good as the guy who done the dpc.iv done a fair bit of work 4 damp proof firms mostly metre high plaster work.using limelight or renovating plaster.if its done right it will work.but theres that many people at it that havent got a clu what there doing.

Every case of "rising damp" I have ever done iis NOT rising damp and I've been doing damp jobs for nearly 30 years. My dads been a plasterer for 50+ years and he agrees

He's 74 now but still does bits and pieces for neighbours etc but he's always busy every day working round the house. Chalk and cheese me and him :RpS_biggrin:

damp proofing rip off

QUOTE Every case of "rising damp" I have ever done iis NOT rising damp and I've been doing damp jobs for nearly 30 years. My dads been a plasterer for 50+ years and he agrees.

How do you know? Does rising dampness exist? If it does not why do we have damp proof courses?. If it does exist how could you tell whether it was present or not.

QUOTE Every case of "rising damp" I have ever done iis NOT rising damp and I've been doing damp jobs for nearly 30 years. My dads been a plasterer for 50+ years and he agrees.

How do you know? Does rising dampness exist? If it does not why do we have damp proof courses?. If it does exist how could you tell whether it was present or not.

He knows coz hes been doin it for a long time and never seen it, neither have i and neither has his old man and you wont find it on the world wide web.

I know a lot of spreads that agree it does not exist... its normally from another problem

Block paved driveways are a common problem for causing damp

damp that starts at ground level ( or below) and works its way upwards has to be rising regardless of whats causing it.

damp that starts at ground level ( or below) and works its way upwards has to be rising regardless of whats causing it.
How do you know its not working its way downwards? starting at the bottom if you understand what i mean :)

gps yes that is true .to say rising damp does not exist is a bit bold to say at the least ! If there was no damp in the ground why does every new build have a plastic dpc in it (thats the thing you run your bell bead along ,to stop bridging the damp coarse ) and when you lay a screed why would you put a membrane under it ? In the 1700s they put slate as a dpc as we all know ,as time went on the slate can crack allowing damp to rise through ,allowing the lime mixes of the day to show wet . I think lol

Lads, take it from a Paddy (racist statement I know/heard) There is no such thing as rising damp. Im not a sceptic though, I do believe in fairies. Any word of jj lately ?

Ok lads I and some others say it doesnt exist so prove it exists, dont say prove it doesnt, coz proving something doesnt exist is pointless.

Status
Not open for further replies.