Damp proofing rip off

Status
Not open for further replies.
Steve, at the bottom of each post there is a 'reply with quote' thing. Please use it, your posts are soooooooooo difficult to decipher.

As I have explained elsewhere I (seriously) struggle with the English language If read 'reply' then since I am replying I press the reply button. The nature of a reply necessitates some communication so 'reply' and 'reply with a quote' mean the same thing. Was the designer of this web site Gaelic or some other foriegner with less grasp of English than I ? You will have observed I have obeyed

As I have explained elsewhere I (seriously) struggle with the English language If read 'reply' then since I am replying I press the reply button. The nature of a reply necessitates some communication so 'reply' and 'reply with a quote' mean the same thing. Was the designer of this web site Gaelic or some other foriegner with less grasp of English than I ? You will have observed I have obeyed

Your English is very good.

You may struggle speaking it but you don't typing it. :RpS_laugh:

lol why wouldn't you? ok it uses a bit more materials but probably easier not as if anything is gonna rise up it?

" smart arsed surveyors "
Now we're talking.

And if, for example you did bridge the dpc with render on this cavity wall would the (huge :RpS_lol: ) amount of water that would "rise " up your 25 mm thick render cause the rising dampness you suggest ? I think not.

The problem nowadays is that people have swallowed all the bull from surveyors and damp companies about this rising damp thing. You need to approach the subject with an open mind and to find what is casing the dampness.

And what's your dads surname Steve ? My surname is Wrynn, a common surname in them parts
Now we're talking.

And if, for example you did bridge the dpc with render on this cavity wall would the (huge :RpS_lol: ) amount of water that would "rise " up your 25 mm thick render cause the rising dampness you suggest ? I think not.

Mostly you would be right, but if you are in court with a smart arsed chartered surveyor your done for. I am not saying that one should carry out work as if it will end up in court but rather that codes comes from the combined wisdom of many rather the limited experiences on one or two in dividuals

Small amounts of moisture exiting from walling causes lots of damage especially if the stone is weaker than the sand and cement render this is often seen where strong cement pointing remains while the adjacent stone has decayed ... thus leaving the pointing proud of the wall face as the stone decays back into the body of the wall. The same can happen in soft brick in older buildings.

Follow codes and price up for for the same. If you explain to customers why extra work needs to be done you are demonstrating competence.

The problem nowadays is that people have swallowed all the bull from surveyors and damp companies about this rising damp thing. You need to approach the subject with an open mind and to find what is casing the dampness.

I once run a series of workshops for a firm of estate agents. Their valuation surveyors were costing them £300,000 a year in professional negligence claims. The biggest percentage were to do with damp. So the driver for demanding surveyors in part comes from the public suing their pants off when there is an undiscovered defect.

And what's your dads surname Steve ? My surname is Wrynn, a common surname in them parts
Hows that pronounced?

lol why wouldn't you? ok it uses a bit more materials but probably easier not as if anything is gonna rise up it?

Clutching at straws now freed :RpS_biggrin:

If you want to believe in rising damp, go for it mate.

Im just pointing out the facts, people once believed cigarettes were good for you, now what do they believe.
on the same note they said Guinness is good for you :RpS_scared:

Dont care, I'm going for a few pints anyway :RpS_thumbsup:

Interesting since Rennes near us, as in place name is pronunced the same way. I bet your French and taking the p**s

No Steve, I don't lie about anything. I'm a paddy and I don't lie bout nothing. It winds me up when people talk about rising damp when it doesn't exist. Ive told the lady in walthamstow to give her views on sorting out her dampness on this forum when I'm finished

sli have u ever done a dpc from start 2 finish.on a job real practical experince.or read books on other peoples findings..if youre doing it every day you cant buy experince.or read it in a book you need real practical experince.you must not forget the dpc is only as good as the guy who done it.

Now we're talking.

[h=5]Problems with using external cement based renders[/h][h=5]There was a photo in this post but it don't show in the quick reply box[/h][h=5]This is an extreme example of damp damage - in this case, the stonework of the building has been covered with cement render. This has sealed water into the structure - it has run down the face of the stone, and gone behind the render where it has built up to ridiculously high moisture levels. The only way it can escape is to evaporate out of the stone just above the render, and in so doing, it has destroyed the stone. Note that much of the stone is pointed with cement, which has exacerbated the problem.[/h]In the room inside, the walls are damp as well - moisture has penetrated through the wall and blown the plaster on the inside. All of this render needs to be removed and the stonework requires extensive repair as a result.

[h=5]
C:\Users\steve\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image001.jpg
[/h]

ok ok

To be honest I've just seen evidence of rising damp outside my house. It's risen 4" in 24hrs. I like to call it snow :RpS_laugh:

sli have u ever done a dpc from start 2 finish.on a job real practical experince.or read books on other peoples findings..if youre doing it every day you cant buy experince.or read it in a book you need real practical experince.you must not forget the dpc is only as good as the guy who done it.

Yes hundreds of times my life has been one of working with my hands as opposed to a word processor. I have vibration white finger as a consequence. Experience is not enough you need to understand what you are doing and have an investigative nature. The problem with much of what is written on this site is that people do not read enough to understand. Reading books lets you see farther than those who don't. One of the biggest problems within the building trade is the failure to learn from past cock-ups. As a minor example of this the Building Research Establish (BRE) published a book about the problems associated with using Portland cement and stone. By chance a photograph I just failed to load to this site demonstrates this. The BRE published the book in the 1930's I bet not one in a hundred brickies has ever heard of it or of its contents. If I had used plasterer instead of brickie I would have got a load of inane remarks ...which I now will get any way. There is a fanciful notion that ignorance is to be applauded so lets make a joke of it. Doing a good job and being proud of what you do makes for a better life. One consequence is that you get loads of good paying work. And, yeah before someone launches an attack based on this comment ..I accept that the mere fact you are reading on this site probably puts you in the caring, talented, fully employed plasterer who cares.

No Steve, I don't lie about anything. I'm a paddy and I don't lie bout nothing. It winds me up when people talk about rising damp when it doesn't exist. Ive told the lady in walthamstow to give her views on sorting out her dampness on this forum when I'm finished

Is this she who you previously describe as an old bird or some other female you are advising?

Portland cement and stone. So is this rising damp Steve ?
would a chemical dpc have solved the problem ? I think not

Much of the debate on this forum has been about whether there is a need for a remedial dpc's or in fact whether rising damp exists. For those who hold this view the quality and skill of the guy doing the job is irrelevant: to be in stalling a dpc places you in a fraudulent and/or unnecessary activity.

DAMP PROOF COURSES ARE A WASTE OF TIME

For anyone who is bothered.
The following web site attacks the rising damp industry it will make Irish-spread happy. Unfortuneatley it also rips apart the idea that sand and cement is a satisfactory mix to use on older buildings. There are lots of photos. I think this site is an example of people putting forward ideas that reasonably attack the damp proofing industry and then go to far.
[h=1]www.heritage-house.org[/h]

Yes hundreds of times my life has been one of working with my hands as opposed to a word processor. I have vibration white finger as a consequence. Experience is not enough you need to understand what you are doing and have an investigative nature. The problem with much of what is written on this site is that people do not read enough to understand. Reading books lets you see farther than those who don't. One of the biggest problems within the building trade is the failure to learn from past cock-ups. As a minor example of this the Building Research Establish (BRE) published a book about the problems associated with using Portland cement and stone. By chance a photograph I just failed to load to this site demonstrates this. The BRE published the book in the 1930's I bet not one in a hundred brickies has ever heard of it or of its contents. If I had used plasterer instead of brickie I would have got a load of inane remarks ...which I now will get any way. There is a fanciful notion that ignorance is to be applauded so lets make a joke of it. Doing a good job and being proud of what you do makes for a better life. One consequence is that you get loads of good paying work. And, yeah before someone launches an attack based on this comment ..I accept that the mere fact you are reading on this site probably puts you in the caring, talented, fully employed plasterer who cares.

Would the use of a chemical dpc have solved the dampness problem in these stone and Portland cement houses you mention ?

The answer Steve is NO

Much of the debate on this forum has been about whether there is a need for a remedial dpc's or in fact whether rising damp exists. For those who hold this view the quality and skill of the guy doing the job is irrelevant: to be in stalling a dpc places you in a fraudulent and/or unnecessary activity.

the skill of the guy doing the job is most importent.as it may well be condi and no need 4 injection.or carlite plaster has been used.or blocked vents so the guy doing the job is realy most importent aspect.2 identify the problem.then cure it.

Would the use of a chemical dpc have solved the dampness problem in these stone and Portland cement houses you mention ?

The answer Steve is NO

Writing never, or always or in the case above 'No' reveals a simple attitude to problems. It has no merit if you want to be taken seriously.

In my opinion the diagnosis of the cause of a damp problem, should be by a person independent, a person who has no vested interest in the outcome. When the diagnosis and solution is offered by the same company there is a danger in that a 'surveyor', may feel the need, for a variety of reasons to specify unnecessary work. Might be to show his worth to his employer if all week he has generated no work or the company is short of work.
This does not mean that you and many other do not have a high ethical standard my opinion is a consequence of lots of reporting on unnecessary work; the public need to be protected from con men.

There should be a distinction between being able to do the physical job ie drilling injecting, replastering, and other re-instatement and being able to diagnose and specify a solution. Many people are good at the former but not all of them want to devote time to becoming good at the latter.

I have worked with very good tradesmen who cannot or barely read or write and there are people like myself who don't have a GCE or CSE to our name who studied later in life via apprenticeships and night school. I am a big fan of anything that promotes education because my school experiences were dismal.

Yeah it was me that asked, my place is near Corlay not far from lac de guerledan.
If you know where that is its not that far from you.

So are you a plasterer Steve?
And are you working as a plasterer in France?

Oh & have you got a dpc in your property? :RpS_biggrin:
I haven't :)

Sooo are you a plasterer then or what?

Well steve saying your a big fan of anything that promotes education on this forum will not make you any friends coz a lot of people on here dont believe in education and qualifications. :)

TO FLYNNYMAN
Come on steve dont be nasty lets keep it civil we dont like that kind of language on the forum.

You have my apologies.

Bearing this in mind are you able to dispense your judgement with equality? I find the following post very offensive, see below. I did not complain because I presumed there was no standard of decency on this site. Its from Irish, its no big deal but it palls into insignificance compared to that which you are admittedly, modestly repremanding myself for. If I was the moderator I would have asked for Irish's post to be removed because when searching on the internet Irish's comments in this once instance show this web site in a poor ligfht: his comments are vulgar and offensive.

Might have a job for you next week Steve, my mates reckon your mrs ********************, I disagree and presume they would be **************** :RpS_laugh:

Flynnyman wants more evidence of which I will supply in respect of rising damp but there comes a time when those with only a peripheral interest in rising damp and old ladies being robbed will get bored and this thread might be better closed and I will email anyone who has a continuing interest.

Maybe anew thread RISING DAMP;why it exists and how to discuss it without all of us deviating from the topic

luv Steve​

Status
Not open for further replies.