Could someone explain to me about Damp Proofing?

ToddyTom

Hi there I just wondered if someone could help me out and explain to me the various solutions on how to fix damp and how to know what type of damp it is in the first place. (Rising damp, penetrating damp and condensation etc)
Currently i sub contract to a couple of businesses that plaster and render, I can comfortable skim and render using Webber/ parex and K-rend but want to learn more! Ive been doing it for around 5 years now but the guys I work for never really explain why you do certain things, such as SBR rather than PVA, certain plasterboard in a certain area. Things that are probably basics to most people but I’ve just never had anyone fully explain it to me.
I just want to learn everything about the trade and become the best I can be.
So if anyone could give me any help to understand damp that would be very much appreciated

Damp or dampness always tends to be cold and mostly wet,there you go pal you've learnt more in 5 mins then you have in 5 years your welcome

Most spreads slap a membrane on and dab with 27.5mm insulated plasterboards...you can inject before membrane if you want to make a bit of extra money but not needed.

Hi there I just wondered if someone could help me out and explain to me the various solutions on how to fix damp and how to know what type of damp it is in the first place. (Rising damp, penetrating damp and condensation etc)
Currently i sub contract to a couple of businesses that plaster and render, I can comfortable skim and render using Webber/ parex and K-rend but want to learn more! Ive been doing it for around 5 years now but the guys I work for never really explain why you do certain things, such as SBR rather than PVA, certain plasterboard in a certain area. Things that are probably basics to most people but I’ve just never had anyone fully explain it to me.
So if anyone could give me any help to understand damp that would be very much appreciated
@Casper

This place is not what you think it is
Current advice from me - take any abuse, laugh it off, join in the banter and slowly pick up the details your missing.
I got taught things from men I respected and later found out what I was taught was wrong plus you never stop learning anyway
Often the method taken is peculiar to the situation that is being dealt with so you can’t just follow a set of rules anyway

Good Advice from Monkey Boy. They quite possibly don't know themselves, they've just always done it like this. If you really want to learn it'll be evening study - books, internet, maybe college course, building courses etc. Some of the big principles don't change but each situation can be different, it's actually a big subject.
Not everybody on here agrees with each other, especially on lime plastering, but you can learn a lot from the handbag swinging.

Was actually looking into this myself.. all the firms that do it seem to be doing very well for them selfs.. they do cover other aspects of damp proofing.. but big bucks indeed. Priced a job the other day an one of the company’s done the damp proofing. Thought maybe that’s something I could learn..who knows. All just chasing the money train ha!

Check out Peter Ward on YouTube. Will give you a different perspective.

If you want to continue on the path currently on, checkout Damp Sam.

Check out Peter Ward on YouTube. Will give you a different perspective.

If you want to continue on the path currently on, checkout Damp Sam.
Damp sam knows his stuff but im not a fan of his express system when he sticks boards onto the wall with caulk and foam...........he Has bloody props going from one side of the room to the other....

Damp sam knows his stuff but im not a fan of his express system when he sticks boards onto the wall with caulk and foam...........he Has bloody props going from one side of the room to the other....

I suppose every job on its own merits and circumstances.

People want a quick solution and don’t really care what’s done.

I think fair play! Damp baffles loads of people. You can tell because on here the damp threads are often avoided by a lot of people I find. Probably because there’s lots of reasons and lots of solutions these days.

just read through the threads, hit the search button

@ToddyTom

rising damp is damp that forms from the ground upwards, you will see this usually up to half a metre high. It can cause black mould, paint cracking, bubbling and damage to walls.

Penetrating damp comes from the exterior and penetrates through your walls. It can be due to various defects in your property including: porous bricks, leaking pipes, guttering, bad roofing.

Condensation is commonly the case of bad airflow within your property. To control condensation, fans and dehumidifiers are your best first uses.

@ToddyTom

rising damp is damp that forms from the ground upwards, you will see this usually up to half a metre high. It can cause black mould, paint cracking, bubbling and damage to walls.

Penetrating damp comes from the exterior and penetrates through your walls. It can be due to various defects in your property including: porous bricks, leaking pipes, guttering, bad roofing.

Condensation is commonly the case of bad airflow within your property. To control condensation, fans and dehumidifiers are your best first uses.
Rising damp is a myth. It cant defy gravity

Trees do it
As leaves evaporate water more is drawn up , never understood how the process works at start of spring with no leaves
A better example of rising damp is a dry tissue just dipped in water and watch it rise

As leaves evaporate water more is drawn up , never understood how the process works at start of spring with no leaves
A better example of rising damp is a dry tissue just dipped in water and watch it rise
I don’t think the leaves drive it but rather is the capillary size automatically creates lift?

I have never seen a case of rising damp where it has not been penetrating damp...

I would love to be proved wrong but I have to find it....

This video shows capillary action... but it does not defy gravity

I watched this one
38C60766-E03D-4DD5-9CA9-05F80B7D69BC.jpeg

I have never seen a case of rising damp where it has not been penetrating damp...

I would love to be proved wrong but I have to find it....

So you sit a dry block in a puddle and water doesn't rise up the block , your video explained electro static charge lol

So you sit a dry block in a puddle and water doesn't rise up the block , your video explained electro static charge lol

Depending on the block/brick and it's make up.

It does, at different heights.

A thermalite will do far more than an engineering. As would a soft red way more than flettons.....