claim by customer

• Thread starter Deleted member 29624
  • Start date
Just wanted some opinions on a problem ive come across...did a full reskim a few weeks ago and on our first day they had all their virgin boxes installed....in one room we were to rip down the ceiling, board and skim the full room.... I put the virgin box in a rubble sack to protect it and did the work...got a call yesterday and customer said they can hear grit in the box now and are replacing it at a cost of £250...they told me ive got to pay the cost even though the box works fine. Ive agreed to pay it but just wondered what others would do?
true grit?

And sorry to all the work site people I am not ranting about it again but @gps if you remember I said this in the my builder thread ... I asked who decides what is right when trades get into a dispute on these sites ,they never back up the trader always the public

This has nothing to do with my builder lol, if they got your number from the herald and post, do the herald post act as intermediaries ? No they don't.

That was the exact reason they gave, they dont own the box and if its been mistreated they have to pay for a replacement when they send it back so wanted to just do it now instead
Assuming it's a TiVo box the website says £150. Box still works though.

This has nothing to do with my builder lol, if they got your number from the herald and post, do the herald post act as intermediaries ? No they don't.
I agree nothing to do with my builder, just wish it wasnt through thecsite or my response would be a lot different

@Lodan well don't pay and let them post a review then reply with ' they wanted me to pay for a new Virgin box that was still working' .... that's your side and let people make there own choice ... you'll always come across some t**t in life like that regardless of what you do ...

I think you only have yourself to blame here, if your taking down a ceiling the room gets emptied.

If grit has got in it, again your fault for protecting properly, but what are virgin saying about it ? They maintain the boxes for free don't they ?

Stand your ground they are trying it on mate don't give them any money till you have the invoice and box and tell them you will meet the Virginia guy there when he comes out to check the box out they will soon shut up I work on social housing and the amount of things they leave about just tell them can you move that out of my way because I've got nothing to cover it up and if they don't move I don't start

I think you only have yourself to blame here, if your taking down a ceiling the room gets emptied.

If grit has got in it, again your fault for protecting properly, but what are virgin saying about it ? They maintain the boxes for free don't they ?
Virgin not been out yet....box is wired in through the aerial and I dont know how to disconnect it

ask them to put it in writing. what their problem is, whether the box is working etc and tell them once they have you'll reply in writing. they'll think you're willing to let it go to county court and will back off because they are trying it on and wont want to in the small claims. a game of brinkmanship. if they then leave a bad review on mybuilder you can rely that you offered to go to court but they refused. people will see through it.

That is kind of my point .. But it doesn't matter for now lets sort this box dust first
Yeah I know what you mean....youve got to crawl when the jobs are through a site or theyll tell the whole world your shite

That's the best one there @Lodan
ask them to put it in writing. what their problem is, whether the box is working etc and tell them once they have you'll reply in writing. they'll think you're willing to let it go to county court and will back off because they are trying it on and wont want to in the small claims. a game of brinkmanship. if they then leave a bad review on mybuilder you can rely that you offered to go to court but they refused. people will see through it.

Yeah I know what you mean....youve got to crawl when the jobs are through a site or theyll tell the whole world your shite
Yes but it isn't just sites ... Every single plasterer has something like this on a job in there lifes .. I broke someone's Denby pottery mug the other week and got accused of over boiling the kettle on a job.

@Lodan it just unscrews with a small spanner. Get urself a small adjustable, go round knock the power off and unscrew it. Turn it upside down and hoover the f**k*r through the vent. It'll take you 5 mins max. Then just screw it back on by hand finger tight and turn it a quarter turn with the spanner.

Turning it off at the mains doesn't mess the settings up or anything it'll just reboot.

A bit of friendly advise is don't think just because your starting out customers will tell people how great you were for buying them a new box, they'll still complain to others that you "broke" it. I spent my first few years doing little extras for free, under pricing to get jobs etc the truth is customers don't give a f**k if you go out your way to help them. Sure you'll get the odd one that appreciates it but as a rule they don't.

Yes but it isn't just sites ... Every single plasterer has something like this on a job in there lifes .. I broke someone's Denby pottery mug the other week and got accused of over boiling the kettle on a job.
Did you overboil the kettle:)

If it was 20quid I'd pay it and be done but there Def pulling your plonker here mate.
Do not be fooled by it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Before you pay ask them to get it repaired by a qualified engineer. If they say it's broken and a replacement required that's a different ball game. That's basically what an insurance company would do.

I think I should have a poo in an empty bag of skim and leave it on their doorstep(y)

Your wrong lodan, each job should be done to the best of your abilities regardless of where it come from.
This is no ones fault but your own for taking down a ceiling without the room being emptied first or protecting the box properly.

Your wrong lodan, each job should be done to the best of your abilities regardless of where it come from.
This is no ones fault but your own for taking down a ceiling without the room being emptied first or protecting the box properly.
Ok mate(y) cant be arsed to argue with you

Don't pay it, offer to take the box away and get it cleaned out/repaired. Also as said tell them you want all communication by email and send them one stating what your willing to do to fix the problem.

250 f**k**g quid for a new box! What in the name of good f**k is it made of- gold! You can get cheap boxes online or someone on Facebook selling them. Them f**k**s are at it. I'd be telling them to go fcuk TBH. It's not like you broke it. If your working inside their house, it's they're job to remove the box so doesn't get dust in it. I wouldn't care about a bad review like that. Sure if you can explain your side, then people will understand. It's only dust. Go round there and take it apart, clear the dust, screw back up and job done.

As for the people pissing down your leg, that's something my granny would do. Only thered be no new box bought. Shed just be rubbing her hands that she got few quid of ya. Sounds like they are exactly like her lol

250 f**k**g quid for a new box! What in the name of good f**k is it made of- gold! You can get cheap boxes online or someone on Facebook selling them. Them f**k**s are at it. I'd be telling them to go fcuk TBH. It's not like you broke it. If your working inside their house, it's they're job to remove the box so doesn't get dust in it. I wouldn't care about a bad review like that. Sure if you can explain your side, then people will understand. It's only dust. Go round there and take it apart, clear the dust, screw back up and job done.

As for the people pissing down your leg, that's something my granny would do. Only thered be no new box bought. Shed just be rubbing her hands that she got few quid of ya. Sounds like they are exactly like her lol
It's not gold mate it is made of plastic but has dust particles inside it...

I'm taking Big Barry bashum up , down there Saturday to arrange a solution to the problem.