Wage growth

A growing number of people are now living out of their vans for all sorts of reasons and one is work. If you look on Youtube you will see a very very popular huge video section on all kinds of van conversions for van living. Just Transit type vans fitted out with showers/bogs/cooking and heating with pullout beds. Quite ingenious and extreme money saving living.

I don't need to look on Youtube mate, just driving around I've seen more and more converted vans, campers etc parked up. Something is wrong if people can't even afford to rent let alone buy a house.

I don't need to look on Youtube mate, just driving around I've seen more and more converted vans, campers etc parked up. Something is wrong if people can't even afford to rent let alone buy a house.
Thats one way of looking at it but in another way I like it because its some people just sticking their fingers up to the system and saying f**k you. These people champion it as they say it costs them nowt to live like this compared to buying or renting. Living on boats is getting big now as well and lots of vids on that on Youtube.

For those who are living in vans where do you get rid of waste...top up your fresh water? Me and the missus when to the States recently, hired a camper and we could only live off grid for a couple of days...then our water tank was empty and waste needed emptying.

Dunno but on docks where people moor boats and get supplies they have pumping out services where you empty your shite and get water fuel etc. These van people have a bog where you pull out a small tank and empty the shite out. Think its called a cassette toilet.

I see in the news wages have gone up . Yet it’s still £2.50 sqm skimming on site . Despite house prices are through the roof . Anyone explain this ?
Ummm just had some lads pop round to a property I’m doing up look at sum building work he says he’s got Plasterer’s £12 per metre including material

Do you honestly think that keeps prices down its main contractors like barrett that do that
Flooding site work with 6 week experience skimmers will keep prices down yes. That’s what it’s aimed at because they’re short of labour and the prices are creeping up.

Ummm just had some lads pop round to a property I’m doing up look at sum building work he says he’s got Plasterer’s £12 per metre including material
Ignore his price it means nothing on a property that is being done up . Sqm price are only suitable for new work . I would never price up old work by the sqm. Someone will lose out .

Ignore his price it means nothing on a property that is being done up . Sqm price are only suitable for new work . I would never price up old work by the sqm. Someone will lose out .
Still good price though ,even if you at to Chuck a bag of bonding on n u did 30 metres a day

Very true but I think a great idea if you have to leave home to work away. It makes it more viable having no digs to pay for and van conversion w
The customer usually as its priced for all to go tits up , or he gets a cheap price and takes a big gamble on corner cutting to make it pay, day rate , avoid , or get lurpy to clean out his wallet

Wow! I reiterate what I said about keeping labour prices down. This is being subsidised from the big builders no doubt. Rather than pay the extra rates they can flood the job out with skimmer course noobs.
Sub standard work can be filled and sanded. Still cheaper than upping rates.

Last edited:
The customer usually as its priced for all to go tits up , or he gets a cheap price and takes a big gamble on corner cutting to make it pay, day rate , avoid , or get lurpy to clean out his wallet
Wow! I reiterate what I said about keeping labour prices down. This is being subsidised from big the big builders no doubt. Rather than pay the extra rates they can flood the job out with skimmer course noobs.
Sub standard work can be filled and sanded. Still cheaper than upping rates.
wont happen

It’s free apparently! You get a bag of tools at the end too. (y)
Not much is free nowadays so it's a win for the newcomers , electricians should be made to skim walls with a kitchen socket layout to see how easy it is to get round a foot of spaghetti hanging out

I see in the news wages have gone up . Yet it’s still £2.50 sqm skimming on site . Despite house prices are through the roof . Anyone explain this ?
sad but your a working class hero /with all due respects pal no offence meant

If you want to make money in building the best thing to do right now is extensions/loft conversions

Tbf most good plasterers are thick as f**k so business wise they always get it wrong, including myself lol
I disagree with that statement Pete. In my experience the vast majority of good tradesmen are far from thick. Being clever and or a good tradesman doesn't necessarily mean that you'll be a good businessman though. I also know people that are successful in business but if you try and have a conversation with them they're clearly thick as f**k.