Unifinish users

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys had 1 bag of uni left in the van so thought on my way home id go to a flat I'm working on to hit a wall.
ImageUploadedByThe Plasterers Forum1444842723.567118.jpg
ImageUploadedByThe Plasterers Forum1444842739.333355.jpg

On this one I did give it a quick coat of pva. I'm regretting it now as the bloody thing isn't going off.

was gonna use unifinish on some artex ceilings on monday but didnt in the end. the gear they had in the local b and q was two months out of date and didnt want to risk it. it obviously hadnt sold very well. they only had a pallet as well. about half of it left. might go back tomorrow and see if i can get it for 10p a bag or something. they had browning there last week from the beginning of 2014 and when i told them about it they said i could have it for 10p a bag. cant remember the last time i used browning :confused:

was gonna use unifinish on some artex ceilings on monday but didnt in the end. the gear they had in the local b and q was two months out of date and didnt want to risk it. it obviously hadnt sold very well. they only had a pallet as well. about half of it left. might go back tomorrow and see if i can get it for 10p a bag or something. they had browning there last week from the beginning of 2014 and when i told them about it they said i could have it for 10p a bag. cant remember the last time i used browning :confused:
I got a load of bags 3 month out of date, with no problems mate. But I didn't get them at 10p that would of been nice

I got a load of bags 3 month out of date, with no problems mate. But I didn't get them at 10p that would of been nice
yeah i might and back and get them. dont mind if theyre only a tad out of date but when i was reading the gumf on the back of the bag think it mentioned it might not be suitable for going over textured finished. didnt want it to flash set on me. that happened when i used mp over artex a year or so back. was nearly crying that day

yeah i might and back and get them. dont mind if theyre only a tad out of date but when i was reading the gumf on the back of the bag think it mentioned it might not be suitable for going over textured finished. didnt want it to flash set on me. that happened when i used mp over artex a year or so back. was nearly crying that day
Sometimes it does flash set on artex,just have enough mixed up to quickly layin straight away,brings it wet again and then mix your laying in mix and flatten as normal....9 times out of 10 over artex the gear gives u plenty of time but if it does flash set do as above u will be fine....I think a couple of months out of date is ok.

Sometimes it does flash set on artex,just have enough mixed up to quickly layin straight away,brings it wet again and then mix your laying in mix and flatten as normal....9 times out of 10 over artex the gear gives u plenty of time but if it does flash set do as above u will be fine....I think a couple of months out of date is ok.
So that's three coats essentially of a product that costs more than multi that you could have two coated?? More work for you and more cost on materials, I don't get your big fascination for it at all.

Last edited:
@theplasterman. It took 3hrs bloody typical
So that's three coats essentially of a product that costs more than multi that you could have two coated?? More work for you and more cost on materials, I don't get your big fascination for it at all.
I did say 9 out of 10 were ok,it was only a bit of positive advise for any fellow plasterers in case they get in the poop a loop..in future I keep my thoughts to myself and just do what everyone else has been doing for years and years:coffe::pcmala: ....or I can try something new maybe a plastic trowel or a big long plastic trowel or a machine that helps me put my gear on or maybe add some insulation to a home inside and out or I just might keep doing the same thing I been doing for years and years and years:boxeador:

I'm no asking you to keep your thoughts to yourself but having to mix up enough to quickly lay in( just in case) it starts pulling in quick before your actual laying in coat would be madness with multi but with a product as expensive as unifinish it's off the scale.

Find me a product that's going to make me more cash with less effort then I'm all ears :sisi:

I'm no asking you to keep your thoughts to yourself but having to mix up enough to quickly lay in( just in case) it starts pulling in quick before your actual laying in coat would be madness with multi but with a product as expensive as unifinish it's off the scale.

Find me a product that's going to make me more cash with less effort then I'm all ears :sisi:
If I am doing a (let's say for example) a two bag mix to cover a artex ceiling first coat and thought it might pull in fast I meant I would add a few big double handfuls out of the laying in bag so that there is a bit of gear left in the mix to quickly ( 5 minutes)top it up or make it wet so that it can have a quick flatten before the lay in mix then it's happy days cus everything is workable...it probably not a product to save u money (I said before about the same price as buying pva and multi for that ceiling) but I think it is less effort cus the sheets go down and as soon as the water hits the bucket your straight on the mix..people say it takes no time to pva but a lot of times u do have to wait say 30 minutes at least maybe an hour before you can mix up that's what I like about it

I did a full flat with these old unfinish and it was thick artex I just used it like magic mix with bonding

It's not about having the balls to use it, I'm sure every plasterer can use it it's about reputation and giving it time in my eyes. Yeh you can put it on and it finishes sound but the test is wether it stays on and the walls that have been skimmed have probably just been painted or drying out. I don't think it's just a price thing it's a confidence thing so time will tell. Up until then I'm not trying to save myself an hour which I've priced for by taking a gamble for no reward.

Done a large living room ceiling with it over artex on Friday. It wasn't nice to trowel up, patches were tearing but in the latter stages it does finish lovely. B and q selling bags for a fiver, only reason I used it. When the woman rung four bags up it was £46 I think but when she added discount it was £20. Big difference.

Done a large living room ceiling with it over artex on Friday. It wasn't nice to trowel up, patches were tearing but in the latter stages it does finish lovely. B and q selling bags for a fiver, only reason I used it. When the woman rung four bags up it was £46 I think but when she added discount it was £20. Big difference.
Did it turn out ok in the end?

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

@
Yes, in the latter stages is where it excels imo but it's a pain towelling up with it tearing in bits and wet in others
I ain't commenting on your techniques.. I gave a load of advise in another unifinish photos post I did but it been moved off somewhere ..maybe the ceiling was to much area for u to keep on top of and wet..and I don't mean that in a negative way

@
I ain't commenting on your techniques.. I gave a load of advise in another unifinish photos post I did but it been moved off somewhere ..maybe the ceiling was to much area for u to keep on top of and wet..and I don't mean that in a negative way
No, two of us on it, layed a large wall on as well same as I would have done with multi.

What size was the ceiling and wall?did u take any pictures?how many bags did u use between u both first mix and laying mix?
I've used pallets of the stuff mate so I know how it reacts. Unless it's a silky paint it'll pull fast in places and I'm no giving it three coats like you suggest, what's the point in that?

I've used pallets of the stuff mate so I know how it reacts. Unless it's a silky paint it'll pull fast in places and I'm no giving it three coats like you suggest, what's the point in that?
So are going to answer how big the ceiling and wall were.? Not just me that says 3 coats sometimes if needed it on the back of the bag.if the ceiling was more than 3 bags worth i would have had to have another spread there as well with uni
WP_20151018_20_12_57_Pro.jpg

So are going to answer how big the ceiling and wall were.? Not just me that says 3 coats sometimes if needed it on the back of the bag.if the ceiling was more than 3 bags worth i would have had to have another spread there as well with uniView attachment 7681
No I'm no because ive been plastering long enough I don't need you to tell me how to do it. I refuse to three coat with a more expensive product, why should I do more work and have to pay extra for the privilege of doing it? You do realise I've probably used the stuff as much as you?

No I'm no because ive been plastering long enough I don't need you to tell me how to do it. I refuse to three coat with a more expensive product, why should I do more work and have to pay extra for the privilege of doing it? You do realise I've probably used the stuff as much as you?
That's the problem this post started off with a plasterer showing the work he has done and people commenting who want to know about it read...then along u come with no evidence or details of your so called job that u and another guy u say struggled on ..u post all your negative garbage and say you used loads of the stuff when I hit u back with facts and evidence photos u come out with 'I refuse to 3 coat' yet that is how it should be done sometimes.Sorry if u get upset about facts and photo evidence I post or others that it's ok but that's why I do cus I want to help people who want to use it not just turn threads into the next nela refina marshalltown slag rant.if you want to post pure negative about it to get a few likes off people who don't use it or have a couple of times and didn't give it a chance carry on...that's not me though...check my profile post I don't say what I don't know or can prove..

Wtf are you talking about? The difference between you and me when talking about unifinish is I talk about the cons as well as the pros. I've said umpteen times it has a place just it's too expensive. I was posting on this thread about using it on Friday, i said it was hard to trowel up but finished lovely, you have took that as me slagging it off for likes? You seem to take any critism of it personally, I don't get that. I'm just saying it as I see it, my opinion is just as good as yours.

Two sides to the story I suppose.
some love it and some not so much?.I dont really see the point though.
you do sound very passionate about it plasterman? Do you have shares in it.lol..and dont start on me because ive never used it.used the first failed version though.

you do sound very passionate about it plasterman? Do you have shares in it.lol..and dont start on me because ive never used it.used the first failed version though.
Give it a try if you can pick some cheap bags up, good over silk.

Maybe I do go on abit to much bout it...never told us how big the ceiling was though did he..oh well going to bed now...sweet dreams Stuart xx

Status
Not open for further replies.