tiger stripes

Members online

Or don't use any plaster at all, just that powdered water instead............... brilliant :RpS_thumbup:

To much pressure when your first troweling. Or your getting on it too early. My old boss, my teacher is still renowned for it he goes by the name raspberry ripple. I tried telling him once he told me to shut the f£&k up and that he had forgotten what I knew.
I think that was the problem

Its a mixture of using too much water too early,trowelling it when you dont need to.wait until its gones off and give it a hard dry trowel!!!!

Nothing to do with too much water or anything.Gypsum know they have a problem they actually call it ribbing as a few years ago I contacted them and they admitted they had a problem. It is caused by (a)bad clay or (b) too much additives in the powder.An ex employee of bg told me this. They need to sort it themselves.Simples

Same difference with bonding and hardwall both of these can be grey or pink is it because of different contaminants in the ground at the quarry?

Different quarries in diff areas of the UK. We in the North always got grey bonding, browning and carlite finish, the board finish could be either grey or pink. However, I believe those in the south got pink everything.

IIRC, first time I ever saw a pink backing coat was in leicester and I found looking upon a wall done in pink backing coat a slightly wierd experience.

It's a mix issue that's getting worse. It's a gamble if it occurs or not.

same plasterers same methods different results. Only variation is the material

If ya ask me, which many do, then ya should poot it on a wee bit thinner. Dunnae look at the plaster when ya trool it. Breathe on it heavily for ten minutes then trool it like ya arm wrestling. Thats hoo i doo it.

Bg actually paid for the jobs be sanded and filled.If more spreads rang them to complain then maybe they might try to rectify the problem. This striping has only started in the last ten years never had any problems beforehand I'm 55 and I've not started doing anything different.

To much pressure when your first troweling. Or your getting on it too early. My old boss, my teacher is still renowned for it he goes by the name raspberry ripple. I tried telling him once he told me to shut the f£&k up and that he had forgotten what I knew.
I think that was the problem
My old mentor use to say to me "you'll never be a plasterer as long as ive got hole in my arse ! Unfortunately he died nearly 20 years ago !I often think your right !

"Tiger stripes"? Never heard of them but I think I know what you mean. Does it look like you closed in with the same mix as the 1st coat?

I got it once, I blamed my using a newish stainless steel trowel on some of the trowelling up (if you don't use them, how are you going to wear them in?) There was no forgiveness in it. You can get away with an awful lot with a proper sharp, steel trowel, that you can't with a new one.

I think its down to not keeping your trowel clean... if it was a mix surely it would be over the whole area?

Are we talking different colours in the wall? Forgive me, my usual line, just a student. But when I am putting a wall on I am looking for it being flat and if possible the aim is no more than 3 blemishes on a wall (that is how we'll be judged anywho admittedly it certainly is more at the mo) but I mean I don't give a crap if its multi coloured or anything. I do try to use only as much water as possible because that seems to add to it and I occasionally am very guilty of leaving excess glut/fat on the wall which gets disapproving looks and tuts.

So I mean is the colour a thing? Aren't walls painted or papered?

Are we talking different colours in the wall? Forgive me, my usual line, just a student. But when I am putting a wall on I am looking for it being flat and if possible the aim is no more than 3 blemishes on a wall (that is how we'll be judged anywho admittedly it certainly is more at the mo) but I mean I don't give a crap if its multi coloured or anything. I do try to use only as much water as possible because that seems to add to it and I occasionally am very guilty of leaving excess glut/fat on the wall which gets disapproving looks and tuts.

So I mean is the colour a thing? Aren't walls painted or papered?

It's not a colour thing it's a ripple thing