tiger stripes

In the days of Sirapite and the old Boardfinish you never heard of or saw tiger stripes, ever.
Personally I think the current finish is just too fine. I can understand it with Multi as it needs to be used on high suction backgrounds but the last time I tried Boardfinish it was just a fine as Multi.

******* hell I'll say it again bg know they have a problem they even have a name for it.The simple fact that people are coming up with different remedies proves this.like an earlier poster said 20 years ago there was no problem.I think a lot of the spreads on here werent plastering 20 years ago so know no different

I wasn't plastering 20 years ago I learnt to plaster with muti, I don't have problems with tiger stripes though. I thought being a plasterer was mastering the materials you use?

R W Plastering-Heathrow-07534832747

Hi @stevo1984, tiger stripes can be caused by a number of different things including over whisking, adding too much water to the wall and applying to a damp background, as a few of the other members have suggested.
It can happen at this time of year, when the weather turns colder and wetter. We’re happy to get a member of our technical team to give you a call to discuss in more detail if you’d like?

Is it not because at this time of year sites are illuminated buy lights which highlights the problem more?

Last edited by a moderator:
Can you explain why this anomoly never happend when multi first came out 20 + years ago ? if as you are saying it's down to conditions rather than a crap pruduct

It also don't happen with mp finish in the same conditions

i dont get them.. maybe its all the new tools on the market, ?? maybe plasterers should master a trowel before getting all the gadgets ?

i dont get them.. maybe its all the new tools on the market, ?? maybe plasterers should master a trowel before getting all the gadgets ?
Cassie i don't get them either but i do use some of the new tools. so it can't be that can it

Im same mate, use the new stuff, just wondered if some are using the new stuff without the knowledge of timings etc, im not slagging anyone, its an honest viewpoint... one of my mates wont let his apprentice have a s*p*r*lex etc, until he can trowel up with a plastering trowel, great idea... the new stuff helps and I use them, but really not that much harder work using a normal trowel really... I have no idea about these stripes... i dont get them, but i dont rush round trying to get massive gauges on etc... maybe thats it ? fuk knows..lol...maybe the gear is shite ?, but it seems the same as it was 30 years ago to me.. and if im skimming boards I use board finish, pva a skim, I use multi...

the multi to me seems a lot more greasy than it used to be, when it first came out you could get a really nice belmish free finish with 2 trrowels

Im 55 years old been plastering since i was 16. I have plastered squash courts all over the world and now and again i get tiger stripes.The problem is with the product.

thats great you got to travel mate, not sure what squash courts have to do with it tho... I must be lucky with the gear...I dont know..

Doesnt that make the set go real quick?

Never tried it to be honest... tend to 3 coat it...

It works really well dan dub out to your beads flatten let it pull in abit then lay on a tight coat of multi. Doesn't slump like finish would.

you can always knock it up a bit rounder and run a float over it if you aint got any bonding

Adding anything to multi sends it off quick.... just assumed bonding would as well... i stand corrected and i am going to try this out ;-)

Thanks
make sure you don't mess around. It turns a bag of bonding in 20 mins to a rock:rolleyes).Add some dirty water and the setting, sorry , the concreting , time is shorter. Same goes for the wall!

@Nisus is the boy to ask about mixing bonding/multi. :RpS_thumbsup: He gave @Fibrehand7 some great advice about mixing process and ratios. It's what makes this forum great , making bread & butter together

Last edited by a moderator: