tiger stripes

Members online

Nothing to do with too much water or anything.Gypsum know they have a problem they actually call it ribbing as a few years ago I contacted them and they admitted they had a problem. It is caused by (a)bad clay or (b) too much additives in the powder.An ex employee of bg told me this. They need to sort it themselves.Simples

Yep exactly right.

Spoke to them about it myself. Its a recognised problem.
They were referring to it as tiger striping to me. It is the material. There doesn't seem to be anything they can do.

They told me a quicker mix and less trowels was "only thing to try" and see if it reduced it.

Mixing in a taller skim bucket rather than a gorilla made sense as gear knocks up much faster in those. Also the correct whisk this will avoid over mixing and help as they claim....

Funny thing is I have asked loads of spreads on site doing insides about stripes that have all said no don't know what your talking about it doesn't affect me then when I been back to look the walls were riddled with it. Riddled. Amongst other things...

I used to work in a gang and there was one bloke that always got them and the rest didn't all using the same gear

I used to work in a gang and there was one bloke that always got them and the rest didn't all using the same gear

There can be 2 versions of this striping..
One where the gear has gone too far usually on the first coat and the trowel lines never go.

The other being greasy swipe marks where the gears is matt and greasy in the same area. The greasy looking bits seem to be the stripes.
They do come out in the end but its a hard extra trowel that you wouldn't normally do.

Glad I don't do Any skimming tbh

I have to admit here,risking to be put on the wall of shame-:), I had them too, a few times. Don't know what is the reason in general, but I had them always in the afternoon! I found out that the plaster in the bucket gets really hot in the afternoon, for some reasons, unknown for me yet:rolleyes). Then they appear when I try to fix, or correct some very small ,and really not worth doing it,areas by moving my trowel horizontally . Using my finishing spatula I never had this problem and here is where I think is more down to pressure on the plaster. On my chest level I am likely to apply more pressure, than below or above that level. The moment when all this is happening is when the second coat starts to come together with the first one and all this is happening only on site, when you are in rush to beat the time and leave some acceptable standard finish.:RpS_blushing:
This is how I avoid them- by looking back into the mistakes I have done. And yes I am not one of the best plasters around and not afraid to admit my mistakes:RpS_cool:

tiger stripes are caused by a thick first coat and second put onto early and when trowelling too much pressure used two even coats you wont get them

tiger stripes are caused by a thick first coat and second put onto early and when trowelling too much pressure used two even coats you wont get them

Exactly my point ! It's dragging the first coat,not the second!

Just seen the aftermath from a gang of one coat sponge monkeys.
There work is riddled with stripes looks like a frosties box.
Think its a combination of being feckin useless and not giving a shite.
its like a disease with some lads.

Michael Jackson died tripping over a pushchair BUT, Don't blame it on the buggy! :RpS_thumbsup:

Just seen the aftermath from a gang of one coat sponge monkeys.
There work is riddled with stripes looks like a frosties box.
Think its a combination of being feckin useless and not giving a shite.
its like a disease with some lads.

Can u get pic's of there work so I can see what stripes are..

just to add room was 70m2 was all one coated layed on with Refina s*p*r*lex, speedskimed, sponged & troweled with 24" plaziflex in just under 2 & half hours :RpS_sneaky:

If these stripes are ripples I've always seen them when people are using a dry trowel?! If they just stripes of glut/fat it's too much water. decent 1st coat then straight on with yr tight laying in coat never heard of flattering yr first or waiting for it to set before 2nd tho.

just to add room was 70m2 was all one coated layed on with Refina s*p*r*lex, speedskimed, sponged & troweled with 24" plaziflex in just under 2 & half hours :RpS_sneaky:

Well fair play to you kev obviously there's exceptions to every rule mate.
Its just Every time I have seen the sponge used on multi its been left looking like dog shite.
You know yourself there's plenty who can feck it up with 2 coats and a steel trowel, it just seems whenever I see the 1 coat sponge gone wrong its always disastrously wrong.

why am I getting tigers stripes wen I skim a wall

not happing every time that's wats making me more puzzled

been plastering4 years so would sound for any tips

Hi @stevo1984, tiger stripes can be caused by a number of different things including over whisking, adding too much water to the wall and applying to a damp background, as a few of the other members have suggested.
It can happen at this time of year, when the weather turns colder and wetter. We’re happy to get a member of our technical team to give you a call to discuss in more detail if you’d like?

Last edited by a moderator:
So far we have established:

It happens in the second coat.
It happens in the first coat.
It happens in on coat.
Its because of trowel being too dry
Its because the trowel is too wet.
Its because of too much water.
Its because 1st coat is too thick
Its because 1st coat is too thin
Its the time of year
Its the way its mixed
Its because the boards are damp
Its because the trowel is dirty
Its the plasterers fault.
Were doing great here ain't we.

ITS BECAUSE THE GEAR IS SH1TE.

Hi @stevo1984, tiger stripes can be caused by a number of different things including over whisking, adding too much water to the wall and applying to a damp background, as a few of the other members have suggested.
It can happen at this time of year, when the weather turns colder and wetter. We’re happy to get a member of our technical team to give you a call to discuss in more detail if you’d like?

How can it because it happens in one coat of skim also ?

Yes mate, you are right! The ceiling is the only place I do one coat on sites. It turns really good and never had problem so far , touch wood! Wals I am quicker with two coats and is much better than one coat. When you do one coat usually is thicker than when you do two coats and here is key- the back of the plaster is drying much quicker than the surface and you have again two different textures together . When you have the strips on the wall , dragged the coat already , naturally you go over with your trowel to fix it and it feels like you done it, but not . You only are pushing the second coat ,or the surface of the one coat plaster, back in to replace the first coat and here is the problem- they don't mix , already two different plasters. same when you try to repare a small chip or hole when you are almost done - you don't do it with fresh mix, you look for the old and set in the bucket and you are spot on.
I also don't believe in bad way of applaying plaster. I have seen brilliant results with one coat, with sponge,with two coats etc. I have seen the opposite results from all the above too. I think you have to find what works best for you and stick to it. Practice will make it the perfect way of plastering for you. Said all this cos I wonder how people on here can tell if a plaster is good or bad only from a picture, which is not showing the small details, unless is obvious of course, but I guess with the time I will learn too-:)

Can you explain why this anomoly never happend when multi first came out 20 + years ago ? if as you are saying it's down to conditions rather than a crap pruduct

Well fair play to you kev obviously there's exceptions to every rule mate.
Its just Every time I have seen the sponge used on multi its been left looking like dog shite.
You know yourself there's plenty who can feck it up with 2 coats and a steel trowel, it just seems whenever I see the 1 coat sponge gone wrong its always disastrously wrong.
Have to agree with you there mate, i've seen some rough as **** plastering, it's not the method or materials or trowels it's the plasterer (shouldn't even really call them that)