tiger stripes

Members online

I know loads of plasterers that i have worked with and met over the years that wont splash water on walls and on plasterboard they wont...

There is nothing worst than seeing water marks on a wall or ceiling... that is my bug bear :)

you trowel the water marks out tho, its only a little water, not like your lashing gallons on, like I said earlier, I have never met a single spread that doesnt use a little water.... even on the Knauf mp 75 hand applied video, the guy is flicking a bit of water on...

It's caused by the boards, lets face it, you never get it on float and set work. If you look a the grey side of the board in the right light, you can see the ripples in the board. On the white side, its harder too see, but the ripples are there......that's my theory anyway.

you trowel the water marks out tho, its only a little water, not like your lashing gallons on, like I said earlier, I have never met a single spread that doesnt use a little water.... even on the Knauf mp 75 hand applied video, the guy is flicking a bit of water on...

I worked with a fella on a couple of jobs and he uses no water What so ever except to wet his blade. When its dry it looked like it had been painted the colour of skim. Not a blemish on it

I worked with a fella on a couple of jobs and he uses no water What so ever except to wet his blade. When its dry it looked like it had been painted the colour of skim. Not a blemish on it

Yep Exactly :)

Not saying your wrong @cassie :) Just its a different way :D

Last edited:
if you dont use water how do you fill the odd miss here and there without any glut

shouldn't fill with fat...that bit of process should be all sorted well before stage where you need any water...on my wet trowel be it wetting blade or flick of water only looking to smooth the surface im not looking to fill anything out.

ps not trying to sound clever buddy

I'm not 100% sure what tiger stripes are and I'd never heard of them before joining the forum. When I started I was told "First coat flat, second coat flatter" :RpS_thumbup:
I don't flatten between coats and when I've second coated it there are very few - if any - tramlines in it. Get it on tight and you won't have many problems. On board-work we were taught "3 dry wipes and a little drop of water to finish" Those of you using stainless steel trowels do yourself a favour and get a carbon steel trowel, see the difference :RpS_thumbup:

shouldn't fill with fat...that bit of process should be all sorted well before stage where you need any water...on my wet trowel be it wetting blade or flick of water only looking to smooth the surface im not looking to fill anything out.

ps not trying to sound clever buddy

**** you you clever c**t................................:RpS_mad:

:flapper:

@cassie the guy in the mp75 vid aint got a ******* danny what he is doing its the fat that should be trowelled

Last edited by a moderator:
Like the spread that beddy knew, I never ever use water to trowel up board work.just keep my trowel lubricated to avoid chattering

@cassie the guy in the mp75 vid aint got a ******* danny what he is doing its the fat that should be trowelled
Wouldnt have thought a massive company like Knauf would use a numpty ? thats exactly how I trowel up, the same as everyone else i know..

Like the spread that beddy knew, I never ever use water to trowel up board work.just keep my trowel lubricated to avoid chattering
wetting the trowel uses probably the same amount of water as the splash brush I reckon... its only a little water.. think some are imagining gallons been thrown from a bucket at the wall..lol..

so you do use water then..........................:RpS_confused: or do you lubricate ya trowel with something other than water

I use the sponge on a pole and spray the wall with water from a hose pipe to get the fat up then trowel the fat up that comes to the surface after that a hard trowel and done

i hardly use much water have little spray bottle like hair dressers use if needs a little bit
lot cleaner than a splash brush imo as only a fine mist

althou iv worked with people on jobs
who wen they started troweling up id fort a water fight ad broken out he mights wen of dragged the hose in house luckley was on site so no real mess made once dried out

so you do use water then..........................:RpS_confused: or do you lubricate ya trowel with something other than water
Yea sorry art ,I use water just to lubricate my trowel , i never flick water on the wall on board work,and if I do that it means its going off to fast and I'm chasing it :RpS_scared:, I've seen plasterers throwing water on there work when they've just put it on.why?

isnt putting water on the trowel same as a little splashed on the wall ?? just a different way of applying water..