Taking 2 month course. Introduction and questions

If you really want to get into it at this late stage, stick to the basic plastering course and complete the 8 weeks first before even asking a plasterer about how to tackle a window wall back to bare brick,once you have finished your course i suggest you ring every plasterer within your region explain your situation and offer to jump in on weekend's or whenever you have spare time if any do work a Saturday etc on account your in the warehouse mon-fri working with an experienced plasterer on the job is priceless you won't get that kind of experience or workmanship training in a bay some courses are decent I think the gold trowel courses are the best ones you can ever go on so I've been told
Thanks for the advice mate

If skimming a room that's is already plastered and presumably has corner beads in place should you place new corner beads over the top meaning you would have 2 sets of corner beads on the wall and skim over the new beads again. And if so how should they be mounted
Yes

If skimming a room that's is already plastered and presumably has corner beads in place should you place new corner beads over the top meaning you would have 2 sets of corner beads on the wall and skim over the new beads again. And if so how should they be mounted
Yes.
Bed on with gear.
That’s all you’re gonna get for free!!

What you want to do is screw abit of wood or plasterboard or anything with a straight edge to the other side of the wall. Then plaster up to it so whole wall is 3mm uniformly thick. Then unscrew it, screw it to the side you just plasterer and repeat the process. Then you just need to fill and sand the screw holes on the first side you plasterer and jobs a gooden

Hi all,

Little introduction. I am 36 years old and have been doing warehousing for 18 years. I have come to a point in my life where I not happy in what I'm doing anymore and want to change my life for the better and so something I am happy doing and can be proud of. I've just signed up to an 8 weeks part time course to learn basic plastering skills and want to eventually do it full time.

I did my first class night and loved it! We did some rendering with sand and lime and then flattened it off with a darby flush to two wooden battens either side of our section of wall and then keyed it ready for skimming next week. I was really happy with the way it came out with it being my first time ever picking up a trowel.

So I have some questions that are stupid I know but thought id ask on here and get community help...

My mother has a wall that has blown and the plaster us coming away from the wall so she has asked when I have finished my course if I can fix it. I know this is going to involve remove all the plaster from the wall back to the brick and start again. It's an external wall which the window is on so is it better to hardwall it and multifinish as apposed to plasterboard for and dab and skim?... How do I get the wall 100% level without having battens in the wall as we did in lesson 1?

Second question and this one is gonna be the one I expect stick for... I want to skim the walls in one of the rooms which isn't used for the practice to upskill myself. So... The wall is already plastered and painted so the edges are gonna have steel angle beads on them I assume... To reskim would I need to stick new angle beads over the old angle beads? And reskim over those so you would have an angle bead on top of an angle bead? In my head that's the way to go cos your gonna have a couple of mil thick plaster which will be weak on the corner without it right?

After I have finished my course I want to just do little jobs to try and upskill myself until I'm at a point where I can advertise for work and do jobs for people. I don't want to fly in with no experience and get a bad reputation I want to do a good job for people. Is there any advise on how to get in with anyone else for experience or would people be hesitant to help train you up as you are potential competition.

Thanks guys
Hi, mate welcome along. With the window wall I would chip it all off and I no it’s annoying but if the room down stairs you’ll have to take the ceiling out and come of the wall the above it. Only way you’ll get it spot on level then get a big tub of tartin pva bond ( Wicks is the best place) then hardwall and skim. I’ve always found with putting beads over beads best thing to use is sky hooks go in so easy and don’t Move once in! Good luck with everything mate and enjoy!

Hi, mate welcome along. With the window wall I would chip it all off and I no it’s annoying but if the room down stairs you’ll have to take the ceiling out and come of the wall the above it. Only way you’ll get it spot on level then get a big tub of tartin pva bond ( Wicks is the best place) then hardwall and skim. I’ve always found with putting beads over beads best thing to use is sky hooks go in so easy and don’t Move once in! Good luck with everything mate and enjoy!
Thanks I've just taken the roof out with my wobbleshank. Wickes was out of tartan PVA so I used unicorn sparkles PVA instead. Zebra at the store said it is amazing

Hi all,

Little introduction. I am 36 years old and have been doing warehousing for 18 years. I have come to a point in my life where I not happy in what I'm doing anymore and want to change my life for the better and so something I am happy doing and can be proud of. I've just signed up to an 8 weeks part time course to learn basic plastering skills and want to eventually do it full time.

I did my first class night and loved it! We did some rendering with sand and lime and then flattened it off with a darby flush to two wooden battens either side of our section of wall and then keyed it ready for skimming next week. I was really happy with the way it came out with it being my first time ever picking up a trowel.

So I have some questions that are stupid I know but thought id ask on here and get community help...

My mother has a wall that has blown and the plaster us coming away from the wall so she has asked when I have finished my course if I can fix it. I know this is going to involve remove all the plaster from the wall back to the brick and start again. It's an external wall which the window is on so is it better to hardwall it and multifinish as apposed to plasterboard for and dab and skim?... How do I get the wall 100% level without having battens in the wall as we did in lesson 1?

Second question and this one is gonna be the one I expect stick for... I want to skim the walls in one of the rooms which isn't used for the practice to upskill myself. So... The wall is already plastered and painted so the edges are gonna have steel angle beads on them I assume... To reskim would I need to stick new angle beads over the old angle beads? And reskim over those so you would have an angle bead on top of an angle bead? In my head that's the way to go cos your gonna have a couple of mil thick plaster which will be weak on the corner without it right?

After I have finished my course I want to just do little jobs to try and upskill myself until I'm at a point where I can advertise for work and do jobs for people. I don't want to fly in with no experience and get a bad reputation I want to do a good job for people. Is there any advise on how to get in with anyone else for experience or would people be hesitant to help train you up as you are potential competition.

Thanks guys

Don't listen to tapit. He's not a plasterer, he just invents useless shite and comes on here to peddle it. He gave some to a para and it went south from there.

Screed off the bead and you'll be grand. Remember to cross trowel the middle because that's the bit the customer will rub his hands on. Ooh very nice said the customer...just be sure not to be around when the decorator wants to get his hands on you for leaving him glass to paint.

And sweep up good. Leave everything gleaming and the customer won't notice you've done a shite job until the painter points it out.

But you'll have been paid by then, won't you?

Don't listen to tapit. He's not a plasterer, he just invents useless shite and comes on here to peddle it. He gave some to a para and it went south from there.

Screed off the bead and you'll be grand. Remember to cross trowel the middle because that's the bit the customer will rub his hands on. Ooh very nice said the customer...just be sure not to be around when the decorator wants to get his hands on you for leaving him glass to paint.

And sweep up good. Leave everything gleaming and the customer won't notice you've done a shite job until the painter points it out.

But you'll have been paid by then, won't you?
Haha thanks for the reply bud

Hi all,

Thanks guys
Do your course and see if anyone will take you on as an improver

Hi all,

Thanks guys
I would use not of the above are not suitable for an old house.... use Sand and cement render with added water proofer....

Starting plastering in your 30's

1 year later !
Screenshot_20200124-235052.png

I don't see what the major issue is with me starting plastering in my 30's to be honest. Ive already grouped up with some plasterers who are teaching me the trade. I am doing out of my normal working hours so I'm not losing any money apart from a bit of diesel and my own time while learning. I'm doing a course at college to learn it also. If you can plaster you can plaster. I could come into the game now and be great at it where as you can have cowboys that have been doing it years and you can climb the wall when they have finished. I'm not going to go full time until I'm confident I can do it and do it well so I don't see what the issue is really.