Spot board

I am a spot board man... I am far to talk to be leaning over s bucket and scooping... sod that...

The spot can be annoying in small rooms but you get over it and tales the strain off your wrist.

I also get that on site you may have to walk a bit but I looked at putting wheels on my spot at the time... easily done but never got round to it

Never used a spot board, would be a ballache on domestics
In my experience, they aren't. Granted most work I do is on site, but any homers I do are domestic and on both I find spot board easier, but each to their own I suppose

Board and stand preferable but big Refina bucket and scoop isn’t a bad second choice, once you’ve got gear on the board it’s quicker than scooping from a bucket?

I love my spot board but wont lift a bucket to empty on it unless its a very small gauge... I use the refia scoop to transfer it, i can get a 1 bg mix on the board in less than 1 minute... I find scooping out if the bucket all day hammers my elbow and back....

I've never been able to get my head around people not using a board and stand whenever possible.
I also can't understand why anyone would want to mix up three bags of finish in one go unless in a good sized gang. I'd much rather keep having fresh gear to use. Maximum of a bag at a time, usually 10lts of water mixed to how we like it.

I mix up 2 bags in a bucket for myself and wash the mixer straight away just spin it in a bucket of water. I have a bucket scoop. Leaves it easy to get skim out of the bucket. I find mixing up a few different times slows the set down. I do 3 sets a day that way. If its really clod I'll do 3 bag sets just 2 of them tho. I like doing 3 small sets tho. Some days I'll only do a bag for my 3rd set. But i average 6 bags a day when am skimming.

I mix up 2 bags in a bucket for myself and wash the mixer straight away just spin it in a bucket of water. I have a bucket scoop. Leaves it easy to get skim out of the bucket. I find mixing up a few different times slows the set down. I do 3 sets a day that way. If its really clod I'll do 3 bag sets just 2 of them tho. I like doing 3 small sets tho. Some days I'll only do a bag for my 3rd set. But i average 6 bags a day when am skimming.
The last job I did before Xmas was on my own and thats exactly the way I did it.Had joints and beads filled out a few minutes earlier with a bit mixed in a small bucket.Just the one decent coat all over then.Not a bother with it,if there was I would’nt do it that way.

The last job I did before Xmas was on my own and thats exactly the way I did it.Had joints and beads filled out a few minutes earlier with a bit mixed in a small bucket.Just the one decent coat all over then.Not a bother with it,if there was I would’nt do it that way.
The Irish skim is good for one coating with at the moment. And if I do 2 coat I use the same mix.

The Irish skim is good for one coating with at the moment. And if I do 2 coat I use the same mix.
If the boards are good I don’t see a problem with it.A lad could do fairly well if he got a decent meterage rate or a good price on a private job.

If the boards are good I don’t see a problem with it.A lad could do fairly well if he got a decent meterage rate or a good price on a private job.

Tbh if the board work is s**t I still only give it 2mm of skim. Skim is a 2mm finish. I'll tell the builder or client. If the want to pay me to bond out iv no problem if they got the money. 99% time they don't so I just skim It at 2mm. Not my problem if I didn't do the boarding tbh. I find if u put skim on too heavy you get ripples in it tiger stripes. U will see them when it' painted. I have even got a bag of skim out to show builders that it says 2mm finish. On the last job the door frames 5to7mm out past the board. I just skimmed into the side of the frame. Builder would not pay me to bond it so went in behind it. He phoned me lol. I said I told u it's a 2mm finish. I won't put over 5mm on. He said the other plasterer did. I said u may get him back then. As I won' be told to do my job worng. He just said don't be like that. I want u to do the next job. I just said well just get the frames around 2to3mm out past the board and u won't have the problem. Or pay me to bond it out.

Tbh if the board work is s**t I still only give it 2mm of skim. Skim is a 2mm finish. I'll tell the builder or client. If the want to pay me to bond out iv no problem if they got the money. 99% time they don't so I just skim It at 2mm. Not my problem if I didn't do the boarding tbh. I find if u put skim on too heavy you get ripples in it tiger stripes. U will see them when it' painted. I have even got a bag of skim out to show builders that it says 2mm finish. On the last job the door frames 5to7mm out past the board. I just skimmed into the side of the frame. Builder would not pay me to bond it so went in behind it. He phoned me lol. I said I told u it's a 2mm finish. I won't put over 5mm on. He said the other plasterer did. I said u may get him back then. As I won' be told to do my job worng. He just said don't be like that. I want u to do the next job. I just said well just get the frames around 2to3mm out past the board and u won't have the problem. Or pay me to bond it out.

the local carpenters fit the door linings after skimming, they just plane the linings down. that keeps the skirting line straight.

Proper order.

Is it me or are door frames thicker now. Jobs we be on the stud be's heavy on both sides, and floating its usually both sides heavy as f**k now. Some near need scratched fs.

Is it me or are door frames thicker now. Jobs we be on the stud be's heavy on both sides, and floating its usually both sides heavy as f**k now. Some near need scratched fs.
The hallway does be a nightmare.

The hallway does be a nightmare.
I've seen walls need over an inch on both F*****g sides. Used to be maybe one side was heavy if joiner set frame off or if wall was running off, but both sides heavy as f**k now, can't see what it's about,ljke I say, must be using wider frames or something now?

Would like some time with someone at some point though to get to grips with it
Learn to tile...then you can expand into that area..not rocket science and very complementary to tiling...

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I've seen walls need over an inch on both F*****g sides. Used to be maybe one side was heavy if joiner set frame off or if wall was running off, but both sides heavy as f**k now, can't see what it's about,ljke I say, must be using wider frames or something now?
It’s probably easier for them to put up wider frames especially if the block works not great.Not easier for the poor soul coming after them though!.Has to be the hardest part of plastering on the body.

It’s probably easier for them to put up wider frames especially if the block works not great.Not easier for the poor soul coming after them though!.Has to be the hardest part of plastering on the body.
Especially when walls need coated twice, and sometimes 3times

Spot board always, tis the way I was reared, I scud all new block work interior and exterior regardless of how good or bad the block work ,

I always like to knock up next to an open window if I can (not as dusty) and have my spot & stand next to it, as most of you will know after constant use your spot board ends up looking and feeling like a highly polished wall. This occasion I wet down the spot a bit too much (it looked like an ice-rink), I heaved the bucket up under my arm and dumped the gear out too fast, it hit the spot and slid straight out of the open window and down three or four floors onto the cars below - the car park was covered but looked beautiful all pink.

I always like to knock up next to an open window if I can (not as dusty) and have my spot & stand next to it, as most of you will know after constant use your spot board ends up looking and feeling like a highly polished wall. This occasion I wet down the spot a bit too much (it looked like an ice-rink), I heaved the bucket up under my arm and dumped the gear out too fast, it hit the spot and slid straight out of the open window and down three or four floors onto the cars below - the car park was covered but looked beautiful all pink.
For me open windows are forbidden!! Breeze interfering with the set.