Sponge float ?

Members online

josel

Been talking to a plasterer whi onsists on using a sponge float after the 2nd flatten.
Wondering is it a good process to use.

Thanks

There alright on shite walls were you have to bring them out with skim but theres other ways you can bring put shite walls in 2 coats with a little thing called a magic mix.

If you feel the need to use a messy, wet, useless sponge float on flat walls, semi flat walls, boarded walls or rendered walls then I think your not coating things up right, plus it leaves a vile looking finish

But that's my opinion!

Sponge floating is ok if you're an average spread. If you're good, you'll get just as good or better finish with a quicker set and less mess without.

When you work in nice private houses, mess needs to be absolutely minimal and sponge floats are not the cleanest.. If I was doing site work and wanted to put 5-6 bags a set on, then I'd get te sponge out again prob.

Let the flaming begin :)

Done correctly the end result from using a spongefloat cannot be beaten A1 Flawless!!!

Done wrong its horrendous

I do work for a plasterer in his seventies, he just does reveals , nibs and anything less than 10m. He's been plastering 60 years. He puts on first coat with an old tyzsak then second coat with a plastic float. Never seen anyone else do this. His work is faultless

Is this flawless ??
Im sure the lads were proud of this !!

Attachments

• 20160602_161704.jpg
    20160602_161704.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 967
I do work for a plasterer in his seventies, he just does reveals , nibs and anything less than 10m. He's been plastering 60 years. He puts on first coat with an old tyzsak then second coat with a plastic float. Never seen anyone else do this. His work is faultless

on sirapite, we would first coat with a wooden float , lay in with a trowel. this gave the impression that the wall had been cross grained. this was quicker then what was the spec. 2 coats with a trowel then the wall rubbed up with the cross grain then laid in with the fat . this was considered a better job .
when multi finish first arrived we were told if you wanted to put a float over it to do that early in the set.

I'm not getting this one at all are you all on about like a sponge on a float or a actual float ?
A picture would help
Thanks

well if you got a bit between a bead and a door frame dub it out first then second coat it using the float before you trowel it scour with the float and leave when gone a bit trowel it it will come out flat as a witches tit same round wall lights

Let's get down to business. If you are going over plasterboard and you know what your doing. One coat sponge will earn you decent money.no matter how low the prices go. If you do 3 quick gauges you will earn ok money. If you do 4 quick quages you will earn decent money. Remember it's all about the final finish! No water marks, no lines , no joints showing. Just flat flawless walls and ceilings. We use three different trowels for each stage.No plastic.Iike everything connected with the game it's a learning curve.
We used to two coat all the time on plasterboard. Roughly 3 bags each a man per gauge. But you've got to think smart. You can't be doing that day in day out and for it to have no effect in the body.im 37 and I'm having trouble with my knees and shoulders. Tbh I'm f#£%Ed . I feel it it's not good. These past 18 months I've had to change how I skim and I'm glad I did.Think about your body and how you approach things. . Keep it tight!

In the right circumstance, ie. Where the skim is majorly deep the sponge float is like a wand, excellent. In the wrong hands it's awful, but that goes for any tool I suppose??
Have to admit I've used it a lot less on deep areas since using speedskim, but would still bring it out in the right circumstance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've seen an orange sponge float being used over a couple of walls once and after the set was finished and coloured you could see loads of the lines from the sponge still, it looked shite! So I've never bothered trying it on any of my own work. But like been said probably just in wrong hands.
I asked what was the benefit of it and he said it'll bring it back to life if it's running away with u and flatten out abit.

Let's get down to business. If you are going over plasterboard and you know what your doing. One coat sponge will earn you decent money.no matter how low the prices go. If you do 3 quick gauges you will earn ok money. If you do 4 quick quages you will earn decent money. Remember it's all about the final finish! No water marks, no lines , no joints showing. Just flat flawless walls and ceilings. We use three different trowels for each stage.No plastic.Iike everything connected with the game it's a learning curve.
We used to two coat all the time on plasterboard. Roughly 3 bags each a man per gauge. But you've got to think smart. You can't be doing that day in day out and for it to have no effect in the body.im 37 and I'm having trouble with my knees and shoulders. Tbh I'm f#£%Ed . I feel it it's not good. These past 18 months I've had to change how I skim and I'm glad I did.Think about your body and how you approach things. . Keep it tight!
Why three trowels

We use a different trowel for putting on. Then a different one for sponge
And a different one for final .
Certain trowels at certain stages of the set really come into there own.
You would never me admitting this a while back. It was strictly flat brush,Mt ss and Mt carbon. Always has and always will. But I had to change my methods cut out the strain on body and working harder . Now we all follow suite and it works . The trade is progressing on the tool side and I personally think it's for the better..... Or are we just catching up to are European brothers?. I can't answere that. We all do it differently but the most important thing is the end result and how it's been achieved.most of our work is 70 / 30 site based . Not so long ago we used to be at the gates with our spanner. @ 6.45 rushing to get a mix on for 7. Finishing @ 5.30 pm after 3 big sets. But how long can that go on for? Now I think back to those days and am gratefull that I/ we have embraced the modern methods that our out there..The building sites are changing in the north west. Gone are the days of working a full Saturday and Sunday.gone are the says of the early gauge.The times they are a changing boys. I think it won't be long before plastering will be an hourly rate like some other trades on site. One thing which is more common on sites, is the lack of plant are fellow spreads have. It's quite frightening. I couldn't imagine turning up on site asking fellow gangs to use there whisk , genny, screwgun. But it seems common practice now. Sad but true

I think another reason why people use the sponge is the difference in board finish over the past 20 years.I remember it being a nice dark red a bit gritty and it didn't take much water to finish.The plaster it's self done all the work. The stuff that's coming out the bags now is shiney and greasy and takes more powder to mix.Imo

well if you got a bit between a bead and a door frame dub it out first then second coat it using the float before you trowel it scour with the float and leave when gone a bit trowel it it will come out flat as a witches tit same round wall lights
I like that

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Board finish gibbo. Used to be a dark red with little black grits in. You could just give it a couple of flattens and a little bit of water to finish .Nice stuff used ti pick up a bit though

We use a different trowel for putting on. Then a different one for sponge
And a different one for final .
Certain trowels at certain stages of the set really come into there own.
You would never me admitting this a while back. It was strictly flat brush,Mt ss and Mt carbon. Always has and always will. But I had to change my methods cut out the strain on body and working harder . Now we all follow suite and it works . The trade is progressing on the tool side and I personally think it's for the better..... Or are we just catching up to are European brothers?. I can't answere that. We all do it differently but the most important thing is the end result and how it's been achieved.most of our work is 70 / 30 site based . Not so long ago we used to be at the gates with our spanner. @ 6.45 rushing to get a mix on for 7. Finishing @ 5.30 pm after 3 big sets. But how long can that go on for? Now I think back to those days and am gratefull that I/ we have embraced the modern methods that our out there..The building sites are changing in the north west. Gone are the days of working a full Saturday and Sunday.gone are the says of the early gauge.The times they are a changing boys. I think it won't be long before plastering will be an hourly rate like some other trades on site. One thing which is more common on sites, is the lack of plant are fellow spreads have. It's quite frightening. I couldn't imagine turning up on site asking fellow gangs to use there whisk , genny, screwgun. But it seems common practice now. Sad but true
That sounds painful .on site two big sets back in the house for 3 no sponge

Last edited: