So has it affected your ability to win work ?

Members online

Well I was interested in finding out about the scheme, hoping that it would be a way for decent spreads to be easily identified by potential clients.
I was really, really disappointed that it is aimed, from what I can see, entirely on the small job domestic market.
It appears to me to be a real opportunity missed.
It has been said time and time again that trades such as plumbing and electrical are treated with more respect because they have paperwork to say that they know what they're doing. My hope was that BG (who better?) would provide this paperwork, a bit like a Gas Safe for plastering. I was hoping that it would be really hard to be accepted, high standards insisted on.
Obviously something like this still wouldn't have been of interest to all decent spreads, but I would definitely have wanted to be involved.
As I see it this would fit in perfectly with what @imago was saying about how to present yourself.

Well I was interested in finding out about the scheme, hoping that it would be a way for decent spreads to be easily identified by potential clients.
I was really, really disappointed that it is aimed, from what I can see, entirely on the small job domestic market.
It has been said time and time again that trades such as plumbing and electrical are treated with more respect because they have paperwork to say that they know what they're doing. My hope was that BG (who better?) would provide this paperwork, a bit like a Gas Safe for plastering. I was hoping that it would be really hard to be accepted, high standards insisted on.
Obviously something like this still wouldn't have been of interest to all decent spreads, but I would definitely have wanted to be involved.
As I see it this would fit in perfectly with what @imago was saying about how to present yourself.

It was only for bg products though, total rubbish.

Well I wouldn't expect BG to guarantee the quality of a Catnic angle bead or some Wack scrim.
Other than that I use BG gear throughout.

Point being, it doesn’t help any clients choose a renderer or screeder, so it’s not fit for purpose

It has been said time and time again that trades such as plumbing and electrical are treated with more respect because they have paperwork to say that they know what they're doing...

Plumbing (Gas) and electrical trades get more money (respect?) because they do stuff that could land you with a big fine/jail sentence if you do it yourself. Other trades will never have this and need to deal with it.

Point being, it doesn’t help any clients choose a renderer or screeder, so it’s not fit for purpose
No if they're looking for a renderer they can look for Parex, Weber or Krend approved applicators.
Now I know that you're just about the most argumentative guy on here but I just don't understand how, if this type of scheme was well run well/strictly, that you couldn't see it as a good thing even if you didn't want in.

No if they're looking for a renderer they can look for Parex, Weber or Krend approved applicators.
Now I know that you're just about the most argumentative guy on here but I just don't understand how, if this type of scheme was well run well/strictly, that you couldn't see it as a good thing even if you didn't want in.

unless it’s one unified scheme that encompasses all of the trade then it’s a waste of time

You should apply mate and see for yourself,

There’s plenty of old school on there that do like it or the idea of it , and it’s always evolving, some will say what a load of s**t but it’s not, the scheme management listen to what is said and always ask for ways to improve it. I think it’s still early days and will get better tbh , most importantly if you do get on it , get involved when things are offered

Plumbing (Gas) and electrical trades get more money (respect?) because they do stuff that could land you with a big fine/jail sentence if you do it yourself. Other trades will never have this and need to deal with it.
Well I can only say that if you make sure that you're the right person in the right place at the right time often enough you'll earn every bit as much or more than plumbers and electricians.

You should apply mate and see for yourself,

There’s plenty of old school on there that do like it or the idea of it , and it’s always evolving, some will say what a load of s**t but it’s not, the scheme management listen to what is said and always ask for ways to improve it. I think it’s still early days and will get better tbh , most importantly if you do get on it , get involved when things are offered
I had a chat with a guy from BG when he came out to us about another issue. I told him exactly what type of work we do and he said that we're exactly the kind of people they wanted to be involved, but when I looked at the criteria for joining it just looks like it's set up for people skimming Mrs Smith's lounge ceiling, not us plastering quality new builds.
I'm disappointed to be honest.

Last edited:
I don’t think it was ever designed to take work away from plasterers tbf Gordon I now believe the scheme is designed to empower a proper plasterer , I mean fair play the actual criteria to actually pass an assessment and continue on it could be slightly higher , that has been discussed even within the scheme and trade itself but tbf its good that bg have made a start with a bench mark for entry because let’s face it even my milkman can start an account on any other bidding sites out there , of which bg scheme is not .

The people on it are accessed by plasterers with over 30 years of experience and qualified college tutors so compared to say your bidding for a job site where you give money to someone for every job you do , where you only get accessed by a member of public to get on.

To best of my knowledge there is around 1000 on scheme with more been refused entry than allowed

:fuckyou:
They ain’t exactly promoting it are they? But same could be said about pure finish aqua beads ect some stuff is hidden and not really promoted, thing with rated people check a trade mybuilder you hear a radio advert or a tv advert so plants the seed to the inept of building skills don’t see that from the scheme I think they were just way to late to the party

I had a chat with a guy from BG when he came out to us about another issue. I told him exactly what type of work we do and he said that were exactly the kind of people they wanted to be involved, but when I looked at the criteria for joining it just looks like it's set up for people skimming Mrs Smith's lounge ceiling, not us plastering quality new builds.
Fair enough Andy , maybe it is more aimed at domestic plasterers but I wouldn’t take away from ones that are on it there skill and knowledge of all the trade , tbh that’s why I get a bit pissed with Gordon all he try’s to do is belittle everyone on there but everyone on there bar possibly a few would piss all over his skill set

I had a chat with a guy from BG when he came out to us about another issue. I told him exactly what type of work we do and he said that were exactly the kind of people they wanted to be involved, but when I looked at the criteria for joining it just looks like it's set up for people skimming Mrs Smith's lounge ceiling, not us plastering quality new builds.
You only knew about it from here though didn’t you? Wasn’t like u see an ad or heard else where and thought I wonder what that’s all about? The idea is good but well backwards in how it’s been promoted, I worked with a young kid 2 years ago he is rough as they come he 26 he at the age where he is better than everyone he knows it all like we have all been there but he is far from being good imo and he got on the scheme so shows it don’t actually take a lot to get on it

They ain’t exactly promoting it are they? But same could be said about pure finish aqua beads ect some stuff is hidden and not really promoted, thing with rated people check a trade mybuilder you hear a radio advert or a tv advert so plants the seed to the inept of building skills don’t see that from the scheme I think they were just way to late to the party
What can I do about that mate , nothing , tbh I shout my mouth all the time to get more advertisement etc but I don’t run it , as for all the other sites you just mentioned mate , come on , they are b*ll***s tbh

What can I do about that mate , nothing , tbh I shout my mouth all the time to get more advertisement etc but I don’t run it , as for all the other sites you just mentioned mate , come on , they are b*ll***s tbh
Not blaming you vince I can see the thought process behind it and that but bg ain’t promoting like others to hit the domestic market where it’s aimed are they? I’m with you on the other sites and you know my feelings on them it works for some but isn’t for me and I learnt hard way and when i put a thread about it it was 50/50 on how people felt can’t beat word of mouth mate

You only knew about it from here though didn’t you? Wasn’t like u see an ad or heard else where and thought I wonder what that’s all about? The idea is good but well backwards in how it’s been promoted, I worked with a young kid 2 years ago he is rough as they come he 26 he at the age where he is better than everyone he knows it all like we have all been there but he is far from being good imo and he got on the scheme so shows it don’t actually take a lot to get on it
Everyone is monitoring s**t though mate so if there is ones that slip through or f**k up they will be dealt with that’s the whole point
Tbh I ain’t gonna carry on on this thread I just get mad , I can’t understand why the hell everyone is so against them trying to do something good for the trade all we ever see is ducking moaning and s**t
I’m done

Well I can only say that if you make sure that you're the right person in the right place at the right time often enough you'll earn every bit as much or more than plumbers and electricians.

I agree mate, I've got 5 months of work stacked up so I'm not bothered. But people moan about sparks/gas pay rates etc and I don't see the point.
Certification can only really work on sites but it won't because it drives up cost for the company so they'll keep getting the Ubekhiztani farmers and whoever cos they'll smear s**t on the wall for thruppence. They aint gonna end up in court if the ceiling looks a bit lumpy.

Fair enough Andy , maybe it is more aimed at domestic plasterers but I wouldn’t take away from ones that are on it there skill and knowledge of all the trade , tbh that’s why I get a bit pissed with Gordon all he try’s to do is belittle everyone on there but everyone on there bar possibly a few would piss all over his skill set
Vincey I'm definitely not 'having a go' at those that are on it, I just see it as a bit of a missed opportunity by BG to set something up for ALL decent spreads.
Personally I wasn't bothered about BG pushing the scheme and didn't care about whether potential clients had even heard of it before.
I mentioned it to one developer and that we may be joining and he was really pro the idea of the scheme.
If the scheme really did (may do already?) sort the wheat from the chaff I would have been mentioning our membership at every opportunity.
Maybe it will evolve and we will join, I hope it does.
So good on you for joining @Vincey and I hope that you use it to your advantage at every opportunity.

Vincey I'm definitely not 'having a go' at those that are on it, I just see it as a bit of a missed opportunity by BG to set something up for ALL decent spreads.
Personally I wasn't bothered about BG pushing the scheme and didn't care about whether potential clients had even heard of it before.
I mentioned it to one developer and that we may be joining and he was really pro the idea of the scheme.
If the scheme really did (may do already?) sort the wheat from the chaff I would have been mentioning our membership at every opportunity.
Maybe it will evolve and we will join, I hope it does.
So good on you for joining @Vincey and I hope that you use it to your advantage at every opportunity.

good morning andy.
im off to work for a few hours.
im gonna show them useless plumbsparks how to earn money and be back for 2. (y)

good morning andy.
im off to work for a few hours.
im gonna show them useless plumbsparks how to earn money and be back for 2. (y)

change of plan @essexandy ....
"where do you think your going"??
"to skim them ceilings in that big house"
"YOU CAN f**k OFF THE KIDS HAVE BEEN OFF ALL WEEK AND YOU HAVNT SEEN THEM"

thats me told :tarjetaroja:

change of plan @essexandy ....
"where do you think your going"??
"to skim them ceilings in that big house"
"YOU CAN f**k OFF THE KIDS HAVE BEEN OFF ALL WEEK AND YOU HAVNT SEEN THEM"

thats me told :tarjetaroja:
Lol. By the end of the day you'll be missing those ceilings something terrible.
Have a nice day mate.

its been a while since we have discussed "the scheme"

Has anyone been asked by a client if they are on it ?

Has anyone not got work because they areNope,, on it ?

Is it even still live lol. I’ll be honest I still don’t know anyone on it (outside of here) nor has any client asked if I’m on it.

Now I fully expect the usual company men to say how great it is and blah blah blah
But I ask those not on it.
Nope, let's talk about uni finish.

No mate I'd heard about it long before I started using TPF again.
If you do mainly domestic work why WOULDN'T you join?
It's bloody free, what's to lose?