Should all buildings without cavity be lime plastered and rendered?

Let me make this easy for you to understand

It's not my house so I don't care what material they use.
I've probably done more lime render jobs than you so believe it or not I understand
[emoji851]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
oh right cool yer thats called a COWBOY where im from. The fact you know your doing some thing wrong is worse then people putting on the wrong stuff by mistake.

Tbh you are right there lime plastering, I've enjoyed the debate on this thread but orange mans attitude stinks , I'd never employ him

Mr irish spread you said and i quote....I have seen thousands and thousands of single skin walls, the vast majority of pre war walls are solid walls.
Portland cement was invented in 1824 buildings with cavitys didnt come round until the 1920's almost nearly every thing in between is built in lime what ever the size of the wall.
YOU ARE WRONG MY FRIEND
Why dont you google sand and cement on walls with no cavity like you suggested to do for some reason all you can do is find information telling you not to do it i wonder why?
Let me guess the internet is wrong im wrong the surveyors are wrong and your right:birra:
At last, now we can move on, oh before we go any where was that wall rendered that you posted up?

Mr irish spread you said and i quote....I have seen thousands and thousands of single skin walls, the vast majority of pre war walls are solid walls.
Portland cement was invented in 1824 buildings with cavitys didnt come round until the 1920's almost nearly every thing in between is built in lime what ever the size of the wall.

And your point is ???

YOU ARE WRONG MY FRIEND
Why dont you google sand and cement on walls with no cavity like you suggested to do for some reason all you can do is find information telling you not to do it i wonder why?
Let me guess the internet is wrong im wrong the surveyors are wrong and your right:birra:

I'll tell you what I'll google brain surgery and then I'll be a brain surgeon .
You're right I suppose, the Internet wouldn't tell porkies

Tbh you are right there lime plastering, I've enjoyed the debate on this thread but orange mans attitude stinks , I'd never employ him

My point was and still is if the customer doesn’t want to pay to use a breathable render then it’s there choice!!
I’m not going to worry about it at all
I’ll advice as much as possible
They own the house and its business for me my friend
[emoji106]

My point was and still is if the customer doesn’t want to pay to use a breathable render then it’s there choice!!
I’m not going to worry about it at all
I’ll advice as much as possible
They own the house and its business for me my friend
[emoji106]

No worries mate it’s been a good thread

I just spent a very entertaining 10 minutes reading this thread. I think that wattle and daub hand made using mud, dung and a bit of clay is the correct way to progress...

Last time I heard the debate about 6" vs 9" it was a joke about why girls back cars into walls ! (Because they've been told by the fella he's a 9incher)
In that pic of his stripped wall, the ground floor below the beam was solid flemish bond one brick, nominally 9 inch but brick sizes vary hugely with the brickmaker. Above it was a single half-brick stretcher bond.
Common practice to save weight on the structure, and(mainly) to save money by using less bricks and a faster build time. Quite common in agricultural parts because the bricks were made actually on the estate or nearby.
Timbers might well have been reclaimed from a previous building, looks like it due to their condition and that looks like a sufflok latch inside hook - on the outside!

I work mostly in Brighton which is mostly victorian houses and a lot of bungaroosh walls and have never seen a spread using lime render/plaster. Only seen lime added to sand and cement!
I went to Brighton once.

I had occasion to walk the length of the promenade in the course of my business there and was puzzled not to be able to see the tower.

Then it dawned on me..

I've been pondering what to finish my walls with inside a damp, solid rubble filled walled house.
I've been poking around the various lime zealot FB pages and it seems to me that the people who chose lime plaster live in damp, stained and dusty houses and think that's acceptable. Lime transfers water, lime breathes, it's what you want on the outside of an old building, but i'd question whether you want it on the inside.

I've been pondering what to finish my walls with inside a damp, solid rubble filled walled house.
I've been poking around the various lime zealot FB pages and it seems to me that the people who chose lime plaster live in damp, stained and dusty houses and think that's acceptable. Lime transfers water, lime breathes, it's what you want on the outside of an old building, but i'd question whether you want it on the inside.

I render in brighton on bungaroosh using hydraulic lime no cement, then decorate with silicate masonry paint. But your right the vast majority just s and c, then the damproofing charlatans follow making a fortune as they go.
Hi Ronnie, need your advice if possible, how can i get in touch with you? Thanks

Hi Ronnie, need your advice if possible, how can i get in touch with you? Thanks
You do realise that this forum as a collective could give you advice if they knew what the question was, might be more expedient than pinning your hope's to one mast.

You do realise that this forum as a collective could give you advice if they knew what the question was, might be more expedient than pinning your hope's to one mast.
Thanks, yeah but Shoreham is right near me and need a bit of local knowledge, bungaroosh, sea facing cheaply built victorian terrace etc

Can anyone give me advice on my bungroosh house? The render has cracks, I want to re render it.. should the existing render be hacked off as it is unlikely that it is lime based.

I thought by now it's common knowledge that any cement(/gypsum) used on brickwork/stonework with lime used in the mortar is a no go. Spalling is now a common issue everywhere with it used over the centuries. Any spreaders that uses it counts on it as a return gig 10-20 years down the line. Not fooling anyone but yourself if you don't really think that.

If a spreader was going to do it on their own property they'd do lime 100% of the time if lime mortar. The entertaining debate is flawed in this aspect. Irish would have a return gig on their own work and would have so much regret lol...

Also 3 inch + 3 inch old bricks with no cavity does = 6 inches?? ...end length bricks would be made into three quarter bat's(this cut is literally known from these size bricks originally for 6 inch walls) making them be 6 inches if 9 inches. The difference between 1/3(3inches) and 1/4 made up for irregularities of brick sizes as old bricks were usually hand made and not always uniform same size(mortar from laying would fill the gap leaving no cavity).

...30 years experience and does not know that lol. Years of bad habit experience doesn’t mean anything.

Limeplastering was correct with that picture. That was clearly just an example of how they would be laid with no cavity just with modern standard sized bricks. principle is the same.