Should all buildings without cavity be lime plastered and rendered?

Members online

No members online now.
Don't think he'll be back
:cachetada:
take a look at this link mate
https://www.heritage-house.org/case...timber-framed-farmhouse-in-staffordshire.html
how does the brick work look under that load of s**t perfect to me!!!
( He doesn't know the difference, I won't lie I've never heard of these bricks, probably it's because I'm an OLD MAN and a PLEB because I've never seen a 3 and 3/4 " brick that is 9" + thick.)
THE BRICKS ARE 3 3/4 INCH THICK NOT 9 INCH THICK
think you need to put you glasses on and take another look at the picture im talking about the bricks inbetween the timbers not below...........................
next picture is going to be me with a tape measure its getting embarrassing

mr irish spread you say you have trowels older then me but you profile picture has some brand new skimming ones on it you must do loads of lime mortar with them (y)

love to stay up and chat mr irish spread but ive got to order some 3 inch bricks you say dont exist even though ive already posted a picture you say is false how about i send you some in the post.............
http://www.hadley-reclaimed.co.uk/20-reclaimed-bricks
:bananahappy:

Thanks. I've got selco sending me brick catalogues as well. Don't bother about getting your measuring tape out, I can tell you now these bricks will probably measure 9"x3".
I'm off tomorrow so I can send you a picture of a brick as well. Not Fr Jacks favourite brick, the 3 and three quarter inch one though. Nighty night young gun X

brick_types.gif

selco mate they will be more then likely brand new we talking about old houses with out cavitys.........
:hueco:

image.jpeg

ok......... what this then one of my own personal pictures from one of my jobs not google....... you dont come across single cavity walls smashing m2 on site. PS we had to hack of sand and cement and let the building breathe for 5 months...... because some PLEB like yourself put it on it who doesn't have a clue and before any more of your cocky irish banter i think most on here would take the advise over the English heritage building expert who advised to do this over you!!!!!!! One last thing just in case you get confused thats 3 and 3/4 inchs thick OLD MAN
View attachment 18902

image.jpeg

Your words not mine. A SINGLE CAVITY WALL. It's called a 9" cavity block. No need for you to get your measuring string out. Once again, ill leave it there. Every time you come back I'll educate you. Think on young gun X

ok......... what this then one of my own personal pictures from one of my jobs not google....... you dont come across single cavity walls smashing m2 on site. PS we had to hack of sand and cement and let the building breathe for 5 months...... because some PLEB like yourself put it on it who doesn't have a clue and before any more of your cocky irish banter i think most on here would take the advise over the English heritage building expert who advised to do this over you!!!!!!! One last thing just in case you get confused thats 3 and 3/4 inchs thick OLD MAN
View attachment 18902

Also, was it hard to hack the old render off " your" not Google pics job ?, did the nasty render take the face off the bricks ?

And your other, not Google obviously of before and after as you promised pics would be greatly appreciated. I can't wait X

View attachment 18929

View attachment 18929
Your words not mine. A SINGLE CAVITY WALL. It's called a 9" cavity block. No need for you to get your measuring string out. Once again, ill leave it there. Every time you come back I'll educate you. Think on young gun X
what an earth has a brand new 9inch cavity block got to do with this??? you strange man were talking about houses built in lime in bricks thats a brand spanking block which does have a cavity its called a CAVITY BLOCK the hint is in the name:risas2:

little video for you and your old man a woman doing it for 5 min knows more then a bloke doing for 30 years
but then again its all about how old you are
:tonto:

Once again. Can you please explain why the bricks on 'your' Job where you hacked the render off are in such good condition ?
It's a simple question

what an earth has a brand new 9inch cavity block got to do with this??? you strange man were talking about houses built in lime in bricks thats a brand spanking block which does have a cavity its called a CAVITY BLOCK the hint is in the name:risas2:

1. answer to your question is, a solid wall can have a cavity, it's called a 9" cavity block, the evidence is in the cavity.

2. Why are you posting up pics/brochures of approx 9" long X 3" bricks ?, most people are aware of the dimensions, you've obviously just bought a measuring tape

3. I'm away for a week so I can't reply to your ignorance but to get back my last post, WHY ARE THE BRICKS IN THE 3"//6"/9"" WALLS THAT YOU HACKED THE RENDER OFF IN YOUR NOT GOOGLE PICS IN ABSOLUTLEY PERFECT CONDITION ?
I smell a rat
:wtf:

1. answer to your question is, a solid wall can have a cavity, it's called a 9" cavity block, the evidence is in the cavity.

2. Why are you posting up pics/brochures of approx 9" long X 3" bricks ?, most people are aware of the dimensions, you've obviously just bought a measuring tape

3. I'm away for a week so I can't reply to your ignorance but to get back my last post, WHY ARE THE BRICKS IN THE 3"//6"/9"" WALLS THAT YOU HACKED THE RENDER OFF IN YOUR NOT GOOGLE PICS IN ABSOLUTLEY PERFECT CONDITION ?
I smell a rat
:wtf:
its my picture and not of google. I have posted 6 documents from online which clearly states not to put sand and cement on a building with no cavity.
How ever my friend you have posted a picture of a dead fish and a cavity block!?
You have never probably come across bricks under render like this just like you have never come across a single skinned wall or a 3 3/4 inch brick even though i have shown you they all exist
If you build with a cavity block you have a cavity.....................
yes you can put sand and cement on a cavity block
Cant under stand what you mean because the question is

its my picture and not of google. I have posted 6 documents from online which clearly states not to put sand and cement on a building with no cavity.
How ever my friend you have posted a picture of a dead fish and a cavity block!?
You have never probably come across bricks under render like this just like you have never come across a single skinned wall or a 3 3/4 inch brick even though i have shown you they all exist
If you build with a cavity block you have a cavity.....................
yes you can put sand and cement on a cavity block
Cant under stand what you mean because the question is

I have seen thousands and thousands of single skin walls, the vast majority of pre war walls are solid walls.
The majority of bricks are approx 9"x3". You put a picture of a 9" solid wall and said it was a 3" wall, now that's a special kind of stupid.
The pic you put up of the damaged brickwork that had the render hacked off was in remarkably good condition
I could copy and paste many documents or pics from the internet but I don't need to. Some documents prove that the earth is flat but I don't believe them

its not rocket science if you go in to a property with no cavity and it has and sand and lime based plaster on a external wall you replace with same stuff that comes off...........if you put sand and cement on it you get a damp problem. No ones pulling the wool over your eyes you just replace what was there. p.s irish spread have you asked your self why they didnt use cement in the first place?????
The picture of my job is a single brick wall its not 9inchs thick becuse you dont get a 9 inch thick brick :lol:

Rendered loads of stone buildings with sand & cement no problem

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Rob, it might be no problem today, but the risk is of a moisture build up for tomorrow. Could you please have a look at a respectable publication from Historic England about breathable insulation, but it applies to re-rendering as well, page 6, figure 3:

https://content.historicengland.org...sulating-solid-walls/heag081-solid-walls.pdf/

We also came across many customers complaining on impermeable materials used in solid stone walls causing moisture build up issues. In Ireland it is a particularly big issue with many stone wall traditionally built homes renovated with S&C about 20 years ago and with moisture build up issues today.

We are about to introduce low cost Vimark P16 OCR, which is a breathable alternative to S&C, ready to use for internal and external application on traditional stone walls or masonry bricks. Application allows protection and levelling of substrate whilst maintaining good breathability. Vimark's P16 OCR is designed to be mechanically sprayed but could be manually applied as well.

More Vimark's renders details at:

https://indd.adobe.com/view/70c15add-5235-4686-90de-26e3f2720634

I'm well aware about using a breathable material.
I give the customer 2 options and it's up to them what they choose.
It's no bother too me as it's there house so I'm not fussed what they used as long as I get paid!!

I'm well aware about using a breathable material.
I give the customer 2 options and it's up to them what they choose.
It's no bother too me as it's there house so I'm not fussed what they used as long as I get paid!!

I am confident if you would show them page 6, figure 3 they would reconsider breathable material in their traditionally built home? Especially if the difference in vapour permeable material cost is marginal vs s&c while labour cost being arguably the same. Vmark's P16 breathable base coat would be available shortly at about £5.50 per 25kg bag ex VAT and delivery: https://www.vimark.co.uk/products/basecoat-render-beton-p16/

I am confident if you would show them page 6, figure 3 they would reconsider breathable material in their traditionally built home? Especially if the difference in vapour permeable material cost is marginal vs s&c while labour cost being arguably the same. Vmark's P16 breathable base coat would be available shortly at about £5.50 per 25kg bag ex VAT and delivery: https://www.vimark.co.uk/products/basecoat-render-beton-p16/

Most only really care about the cost.
They renovate then move anyhow.
The cost isn't marginal it's double if not triple the cost.
I charge a lot more for a lime render jobs
As said I'm not really bothered as it's there property so as long as they pay me it's there worry.[emoji106]

As said I'm not really bothered as it's there property so as long as they pay me it's there worry.[emoji106]

Breathable P16 Vimark base coat is only £5.50 per bag, I did not think non breathable S&C is £1.8 per 25kg bag, eg 3 times cheaper?

We also supply price competitive NHL lime based Calcinto at about £8 per bag. Natural hydraulic lime Wasselonne NHL 2 base, designed for protection, renovation or repair while maintaining breathable masonry and heterogeneous brick, tuff rock or natural stone. Specifically formulated with a high permeability to water vapour diffusion, intended for filling, rough coating, as a plaster base or rustic finish of both internal and external new and old walls:
https://www.vimark.co.uk/products/natural-render-calcinto/

little video for you and your old man a woman doing it for 5 min knows more then a bloke doing for 30 years
but then again its all about how old you are
:tonto:

She's not completely right though.

Her reason is wrong, the reason for the spalling is not that water is coming through the brick and delaminating it. It's the fact that after freeze thaw cycling the brick thaws at a much different rate to strong sand and cement mixes - and something gives - the face of the brick.

Thats desperate who would plaster some thing wrong just for a few quid cant wait till dominic littlewood comes banging on your van window:frenetico:

Thats desperate who would plaster some thing wrong just for a few quid cant wait till dominic littlewood comes banging on your van window:frenetico:

I'll give the customer what they want!!
I do lots of lime render jobs every year and your right it's the best way forward.
I very much doubt the render police will get involved buddy!!

Breathable P16 Vimark base coat is only £5.50 per bag, I did not think non breathable S&C is £1.8 per 25kg bag, eg 3 times cheaper?

We also supply price competitive NHL lime based Calcinto at about £8 per bag. Natural hydraulic lime Wasselonne NHL 2 base, designed for protection, renovation or repair while maintaining breathable masonry and heterogeneous brick, tuff rock or natural stone. Specifically formulated with a high permeability to water vapour diffusion, intended for filling, rough coating, as a plaster base or rustic finish of both internal and external new and old walls:
https://www.vimark.co.uk/products/natural-render-calcinto/

One coat of sand and cement at 15mm costs £2.this is traditional works
I've done hundreds of jobs and lime render jobs are x3 times the cost!'

No ones pulling the wool over your eyes you just replace what was there. p.s irish spread have you asked your self why they didnt use cement in the first place?????

Another head shaker

They didn't use sand and cement then because Portland cement wasn't invented till the mid 1800's. Probably the same reason they didn't use google back then either. I hope you understand
:asadito:

Let me make this easy for you to understand

It's not my house so I don't care what material they use.
I've probably done more lime render jobs than you so believe it or not I understand
[emoji851]

No ones pulling the wool over your eyes you just replace what was there. p.s irish spread have you asked your self why they didnt use cement in the first place?????

Another head shaker

They didn't use sand and cement then because Portland cement wasn't invented till the mid 1800's. Probably the same reason they didn't use google back then either. I hope you understand
:asadito:
Mr irish spread you said and i quote....I have seen thousands and thousands of single skin walls, the vast majority of pre war walls are solid walls.
Portland cement was invented in 1824 buildings with cavitys didnt come round until the 1920's almost nearly every thing in between is built in lime what ever the size of the wall.
YOU ARE WRONG MY FRIEND
Why dont you google sand and cement on walls with no cavity like you suggested to do for some reason all you can do is find information telling you not to do it i wonder why?
Let me guess the internet is wrong im wrong the surveyors are wrong and your right:birra: