Plasterboard dot and dab issue

Sam9696

Hi all,

just had walls dot and dabbed.

long story short, the walls are brick sand limes that suck the life out of anything.
The plasterer used a roller and put a one coat of PVA prior to boarding - the wall was bone dry almost straight away after this.

Following day, one board sounded blown, it bassically came off with minimal effort.

And this has put doubt in my head now. If a dab is on the wall, If lightly “tapped” with a hammer will just come off as one whole dab. Surely this isn’t right as I’ve seen people having to use SDS to get the dab off the wall before due to how well bonded it is.

The dots used appear too small and weirdly doesn’t look like it really “grabbed” the back of the boards (see pics).

I am assuming it should be re done which is what it is.

Question is would you use SBR instead of PVA? what mix of SBR/no.coats etc

And not sure why the back of the boards appear to not have bonded properly? Anyone had anything similar?

Have attached pics for reference

Would appreciate any advice.

Thanks

Attachments

• 53CDE66D-80B5-46C6-8A6A-774206CD211E.jpeg
    53CDE66D-80B5-46C6-8A6A-774206CD211E.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 169
  • DF5BEDB7-19D5-47A1-AD76-E775088A636E.jpeg
    DF5BEDB7-19D5-47A1-AD76-E775088A636E.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 160
  • A51ECEF7-1AA0-46CB-AFA8-ABD8984360CD.jpeg
    A51ECEF7-1AA0-46CB-AFA8-ABD8984360CD.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 173
Looks like you’ve pulled the board off to me. Could of done with more dots but given time to dry out the board would of stayed intact I’d of thought. It’s supposed to sound hollow when you tap the board just not if you tap where the dab is.

What are the dabs like on the wall can you easily shell them off they look quite bonded on there as superspread commented some more dabs would of been ideal but looks like you’ve pulled the board off

EBF96249-692D-41B0-A65B-D1A98DD11E19.png

Those dabs look pretty-well stuck to me, look at the amount of pb that is on the dabs after coming off.

View attachment 73437
Those dabs look pretty-well stuck to me, look at the amount of pb that is on the dabs after coming off.
Lol the point im trying to make is the pic that shows where the plasterboard has stuck to the board the big chunk is where it has properly bonded.

In the past whenever pulling a wall off, the board would break and the dabs would be stuck to the wall still with the remaining board also.

But it looks like it’s just “pealled off” if that makes sense, hasn’t taken any board with it on the majority of the dabs. Shouldn’t be able to pull it off as a whole piece like that

Is it a freak sheet of pb with two layers of paper on it?
Wickes boards
You’ve pulled that board off you Wally lol
Lol the point im trying to make is the pic that shows where the plasterboard has stuck to the board the big chunk is where it has properly bonded.

In the past whenever pulling a wall off, the board would break and the dabs would be stuck to the wall still with the remaining board also.

But it looks like it’s just “pealled off” if that makes sense, hasn’t taken any board with it on the majority of the dabs. Shouldn’t be able to pull it off as a whole piece like that

What are the dabs like on the wall can you easily shell them off they look quite bonded on there as superspread commented some more dabs would of been ideal but looks like you’ve pulled the board off

Hi all,

just had walls dot and dabbed.

long story short, the walls are brick sand limes that suck the life out of anything.
The plasterer used a roller and put a one coat of PVA prior to boarding - the wall was bone dry almost straight away after this.

Following day, one board sounded blown, it bassically came off with minimal effort.

And this has put doubt in my head now. If a dab is on the wall, If lightly “tapped” with a hammer will just come off as one whole dab. Surely this isn’t right as I’ve seen people having to use SDS to get the dab off the wall before due to how well bonded it is.

The dots used appear too small and weirdly doesn’t look like it really “grabbed” the back of the boards (see pics).

I am assuming it should be re done which is what it is.

Question is would you use SBR instead of PVA? what mix of SBR/no.coats etc

And not sure why the back of the boards appear to not have bonded properly? Anyone had anything similar?

Have attached pics for reference

Would appreciate any advice.

Thanks
I agree with Mick. To be honest I’d be furious if someone pulled my boards off the next day. It’s still all drying out

I normally use watery pva but I’ve been told you should really just use water.

The boards will of course sounds hollow because it’s dabbed, not solid.

You should pay to have the plasterer redo this. If you’d waited a few days and spoke to the plasterer before pulling the boards off then it might be a different story.

All the best with it

Doughnut!

I agree with Mick. To be honest I’d be furious if someone pulled my boards off the next day. It’s still all drying out

I normally use watery pva but I’ve been told you should really just use water.

The boards will of course sounds hollow because it’s dabbed, not solid.

You should pay to have the plasterer redo this. If you’d waited a few days and spoke to the plasterer before pulling the boards off then it might be a different story.

All the best with it
Hi yes I know the boards will sound hollow that’s not what I mean. The knock was the board bouncing against the adhesive that hadn’t grabbed that’s why I said it was blown like a rattle as opposed to a solid knock on a dab or hollow in the voids.

By all means, inflate the fellas paranoia and help do someone out of their wages based on close up pics of a broken board. Hopefully he’s not got a big mortgage or kids to feed
All of the above. And moved out of the house with the kids and a new baby due in 7 weeks hence the stress levels lol

All of the above. And moved out of the house with the kids and a new baby due in 7 weeks hence the stress levels lol
That does sound stressful. All I can say is it would have been much better if you’d left the boards for a few days because now doubt can be shed on your case. If after a few days the boards were clacking then it would be an obvious fail. Hope it all gets sorted out fairly between you.

And best of luck with your new arrival!

That does sound stressful. All I can say is it would have been much better if you’d left the boards for a few days because now doubt can be shed on your case. If after a few days the boards were clacking then it would be an obvious fail. Hope it all gets sorted out fairly between you.

And best of luck with your new arrival!
Cheers mate!

Had different plasterers out today and every one has said the board hasn’t taken to the dab and that the dab hasn’t really taken to the wall! Un biased opinion shared by x3 different plasterers.. crap news but least it’s put my head to rest as I knew it wasn’t right.

Think the issue that’s puzzling everyone is what primer to use as many dabs are cracked due to the amount of suction in the bricks as they are sand limes.

One guy said try Gyp prime? not sure if it’s any good

Cheers mate!

Had different plasterers out today and every one has said the board hasn’t taken to the dab and that the dab hasn’t really taken to the wall! Un biased opinion shared by x3 different plasterers.. crap news but least it’s put my head to rest as I knew it wasn’t right.

Think the issue that’s puzzling everyone is what primer to use as many dabs are cracked due to the amount of suction in the bricks as they are sand limes.

One guy said try Gyp prime? not sure if it’s any good
bollox the dabs are still on the wall the adhesive is still on the board its been pulled off, dab is designed for plasterboard and water splashed on the bricks is all thats needed if at all

so in this post the plasterboard has stuck and bonded bit of a contradiction between the two posts,