How much does it cost a company to employ an apprentice

Members online

Vincey

Private Member
Following on from another thread and reading so many similar scenarios on here can anyone who does employ a fulltime apprentice kind of break it down how much they cost , do you guys work it out as a cost per year for example say an 18 year old on minimum wage times 365 days ? Or what ? Just general helpful information I’m after tbh

Another question what happens if I employed an apprentice and everything goes tits up and I can’t work anymore myself, does this apprentice have any legal rights to try claim off me or is it just as simple as I’m done , sorry find a new job ?

Also what if they are employed and we fall out then what ? Can I just sack him

Do the government contribute anything at all to taking one on ?

And is it 2 days they go to college or three now which I’d heard on the grapevine it is ?

I used to have a couple of guys on the cards but never wanted to take on an apprentice. You can't just use an apprentice as a labourer, that I do know.
Getting rid of a labourer who's on the cards is not quite as easy as 'you're sacked'. Definitely need a two month probationary period before offering a permanent job. Once you have someone on full time you have to guarantee them a certain amount of paid hours per week/month.

Following on from another thread and reading so many similar scenarios on here can anyone who does employ a fulltime apprentice kind of break it down how much they cost , do you guys work it out as a cost per year for example say an 18 year old on minimum wage times 365 days ? Or what ? Just general helpful information I’m after tbh

Apprentices don't cost anything if you use them right.

Fella on the isle of man used loads of apprentices.... for the cost of two brickies, (£20/hr) he'd send you one alcoholic and one apprentice.

Pay the alcoholic ten and whatever the difference was between the apprentice's money and what he charged was his profit.

Up here for thinking, Amigo.

Down there for dancing.

Apprentices don't cost anything if you use them right.

Fella on the isle of man used loads of apprentices.... for the cost of two brickies, (£20/hr) he'd send you one alcoholic and one apprentice.

Pay the alcoholic ten and whatever the difference was between the apprentice's money and what he charged was his profit.

Up here for thinking, Amigo.

Down there for dancing.
Don’t think @algeeman would work for 10 an hour unless you mean 10 Stella’s?

Another question what happens if I employed an apprentice and everything goes tits up and I can’t work anymore myself, does this apprentice have any legal rights to try claim off me or is it just as simple as I’m done , sorry find a new job ?

Also what if they are employed and we fall out then what ? Can I just sack him

my apprenticeship was with the guild of master builders. the firm had to be a member to offer indentured apprenticeship.
you could not sack an signed apprentice, but his apprenticeship could be transfered to an other firm.

@Vincey
weve just taken a 2nd apprentice... our 1st has been with us for 3 years...

you have to put them on paye /contract..
we pay ours £150 a week in the bank where he does 4 days on site 1 day at college..

alot of people get put off when you say paye.. but you find a labourer for 150 a week...its no money at all..

goverment give a small incentive 500 for 1st year 500 for 2nd i believe...

as for pension its not compulsary until they are over 21 or 25....

feel free to give me acall if you want bud

@Vincey
weve just taken a 2nd apprentice... our 1st has been with us for 3 years...

you have to put them on paye /contract..
we pay ours £150 a week in the bank where he does 4 days on site 1 day at college..

alot of people get put off when you say paye.. but you find a labourer for 150 a week...its no money at all..

goverment give a small incentive 500 for 1st year 500 for 2nd i believe...

as for pension its not compulsary until they are over 21 or 25....

feel free to give me acall if you want bud
Thanks tbh I would like to if that’s ok it’s not urgent but would like to juttalk to someone instead of writing stuff