Hello masters of the plasters

Lumi

Im not sure if my English is not good enough or this world of plasters has its Own kind of language , but trying to find my answers from what is already posted here,I realised I don’t understand sh*t from this plaster univers, so please be gentle with me and I promise I will use google translate if needed.
I have 2 or maybe more questions.
first one is about lime and hemp plaster we* wanna use for isolating our 200 yo half timbered house in Alsace, France.
we removed everything to the stones And bricks and then we applied a sort of very rough lime + little stones mix (it has a name in french but I’m missing it now, sorry) for the lime and hemp mix to stick on;
*we as my partner and I with very very very little experience close to none , under the guidance of a neighbour that did this himself very successfully in his house 20 years ago .
The people from the shop we bought the materials , the neighbour and the internet seem all to have different opinions though about the time we need to let the plaster dry before we apply the final clay coat. Considering that we want to make 12 cm of isolation, in 3 layers of 4 cm , and then the clay layer of 1 cm - more or less, because nothing in this house is straight and measuring the walls is pretty much a mindfu*# - we were told we need to wait in between 2 to 4 months until we can apply that final clay layer and, hopefully move in that house and, hopefully start to have a life again :) (renovating a huge old house as ecologically as one can do, is an overwhelming task that none of us could foresee when we decided to do this....it took us 3,4 years to get to this point today - with many breaks in between and loooots and loots of research and learning and a fire in 2019, that added just some extra work like life was testing us to see how much we want it, so this autumn we have to move in, otherwise We burn the house :) or go live In a cave forever. (n)so jokes appart, what’s your professional advice on this matter?

We also had to redo all the exterior walls but there we hired a professional guy and he did teach us a lot of stuff and Also said that we don’t need a wooden frame for this stone walls(see picture) because there is enough place in between the stones for the plaster to fix itself. is that so? Because on the upper level where the walls are made out of bricks so the surface is way more smoother so, from what I understood we will need to make a wooden structure for the isolation to be nicely fixed.

another question is about tadelakt as we wanna use this in the bathroom and Kitchen - how much as a layer should that be for the bathrooms wall ?
annnnnd now in the kitchen I would pretty much like to use tadelakt for shelves and counter board and kind of furniture - how do I build the structure I apply tadelakt on ? (like in the last 2 pictures) - considering that, for ecological reasons I would try to avoid using concrete. Would wood with some kind of metal wire grill on top work ?
Do you have a good reference source where I could learn more about this ?

so at the end I did had more questions and I’m super much thanking you in advance for taking the time to read and hopefully answer in time - (isolation first; tadelakt is on a long waiting list anyway) because Monday lastest Tuesday the show must be on and we will start do a lot of splash splash in there .
So, with all this being said, like we would say in Romanian now : Doamne Ajuta ! which means god may be with you\us or cheers in case you drink some schnaps ;) , wish you all a beautiful Weekend !

Attachments

• 5C845A8A-DCA1-4F2A-A483-EF0312F76482.jpeg
    5C845A8A-DCA1-4F2A-A483-EF0312F76482.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 128
  • AD711714-3A13-4183-A39F-D2C1336796E2.jpeg
    AD711714-3A13-4183-A39F-D2C1336796E2.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 122
  • 61F29C3C-D520-4DB7-B74B-1A8A1314C4CD.jpeg
    61F29C3C-D520-4DB7-B74B-1A8A1314C4CD.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 128
  • 28392093-6480-4E12-A24B-E07B40FDF44D.jpeg
    28392093-6480-4E12-A24B-E07B40FDF44D.jpeg
    16.3 KB · Views: 129
  • AEE75550-5871-47D5-9D6B-56433CF530F7.png
    AEE75550-5871-47D5-9D6B-56433CF530F7.png
    10.9 MB · Views: 131
Im not sure if my English is not good enough or this world of plasters has its Own kind of language , but trying to find my answers from what is already posted here,I realised I don’t understand sh*t from this plaster univers, so please be gentle with me and I promise I will use google translate if needed.
first one is about lime and hemp plaster we* wanna use for isolating our 200 yo half timbered house in Alsace, France.
we removed everything to the stones And bricks and then we applied a sort of very rough lime + little stones mix (it has a name in french but I’m missing it now, sorry) for the lime and hemp mix to stick on;
*we as my partner and I with very very very little experience close to none , under the guidance of a neighbour that did this himself very successfully in his house 20 years ago .
The people from the shop we bought the materials , the neighbour and the internet seem all to have different opinions though about the time we need to let the plaster dry before we apply the final clay coat. Considering that we want to make 12 cm of isolation, in 3 layers of 4 cm , and then the clay layer of 1 cm - more or less, because nothing in this house is straight and measuring the walls is pretty much a mindfu*# - we were told we need to wait in between 2 to 4 months until we can apply that final clay layer and, hopefully move in that house and, hopefully start to have a life again :) (renovating a huge old house as ecologically as one can do, is an overwhelming task that none of us could foresee when we decided to do this....it took us 3,4 years to get to this point today - with many breaks in between and loooots and loots of research and learning and a fire in 2019, that added just some extra work like life was testing us to see how much we want it, so this autumn we have to move in, otherwise We burn the house :) or go live In a cave forever. (n)so jokes appart, what’s your professional advice on this matter?

We also had to redo all the exterior walls but there we hired a professional guy and he did teach us a lot of stuff and Also said that we don’t need a wooden frame for this stone walls(see picture) because there is enough place in between the stones for the plaster to fix itself. is that so? Because on the upper level where the walls are made out of bricks so the surface is way more smoother so, from what I understood we will need to make a wooden structure for the isolation to be nicely fixed.

another question is about tadelakt as we wanna use this in the bathroom and Kitchen - how much as a layer should that be for the bathrooms wall ?
annnnnd now in the kitchen I would pretty much like to use tadelakt for shelves and counter board and kind of furniture - how do I build the structure I apply tadelakt on ? (like in the last 2 pictures) - considering that, for ecological reasons I would try to avoid using concrete. Would wood with some kind of metal wire grill on top work ?

so at the end I did had more questions and I’m super much thanking you in advance for taking the time to read and hopefully answer in time - (isolation first; tadelakt is on a long waiting list anyway) because Monday lastest Tuesday the show must be on and we will start do a lot of splash splash in there .
So, with all this being said, like we would say in Romanian now : Doamne Ajuta ! which means god may be with you\us or cheers in case you drink some schnaps ;) , wish you all a beautiful Weekend !
@Casper is the perfect man for the job (y)

You will be better off asking questions on here using short sentences and with words containing the least amount of syllables possible Lumi. :coffe:

Love the passion and your home looks lovely. Good luck (y)

True it’s bank holiday weekend a lot of the regulars on here are gonna be drinking to unwind it’s a lot to read through

I read it
Sort of conjured up images of ‘Tim nice but dim’ and parents trust fund types
Well, we are all different and and good on him

I’ve no advice @Lumi but would say the clay goes on when it is ready to be received well - which is not just specific time period passing but depends on time of year, seasonal activity altitudes and location
black and white monkey GIF

Ok, I hear you , must it be too nice weather where you are , or you’re just too old and grumpy and that’s fine.
So, lime + hemp isolation, 12 cm large - how long does it take to dry properly?
The final layer should be clay - do we apply it straight after?
Wooden structure or not necessary ?
Tadelakt final layer - how large should that be?
Tadelakt furniture - on what else than concrete could that be applied?

+ it seems we are all too busy here, so take no time just to be rude or off topic; otherwise I might suspect you actually don’t know the answers.
++ if this is a forum just for masters of the plasters that know exactly what they mean in just 3 words; than ignore this post.
Thank you @ChrispyUK and partly to monkey boy
Cheers !

Ok, I hear you , must it be too nice weather where you are , or you’re just too old and grumpy and that’s fine.
So, lime + hemp isolation, 12 cm large - how long does it take to dry properly?
The final layer should be clay - do we apply it straight after?
Wooden structure or not necessary ?
Tadelakt final layer - how large should that be?
Tadelakt furniture - on what else than concrete could that be applied?

+ it seems we are all too busy here, so take no time just to be rude or off topic; otherwise I might suspect you actually don’t know the answers.
++ if this is a forum just for masters of the plasters that know exactly what they mean in just 3 words; than ignore this post.
Thank you @ChrispyUK and partly to monkey boy
Cheers !
I like multi-choice questions

a/ Too busy
b/ No time
c/ Rude
d/ Off topic
e/ Don't know the answer

I am going for e?

@John j
A bit of bed time reading for you, its even got pictures.

Welcome along! Theres no way I'm reading all that. I'll just say no I wouldnt do it like that and hope for the best!