Dot and dab over very uneven stone walls

Status
Not open for further replies.
Should of changed it to fredo ,thinking of the scene in the boat when he said the hail mary

Last edited:
That's him! He also removed that thread about rendering:RpS_lol:

The one where you - the labourer - were asking for help? Without the knowledge and therefore the consent of your boss, who's company name you were using as your forum name....................keep posting you fool :RpS_thumbup:

Good to hear you moved on mate you got much work lined up?

Nisus, old buddy! I hope I find you well. Yes mate, musn't grumble I have about 3 weeks ahead of me with another couple to quote. Working on the website at the moment but it won't have any pictures on it:RpS_wink:

The one where you - the labourer - were asking for help? Without the knowledge and therefore the consent of your boss, who's company name you were using as your forum name....................keep posting you fool :RpS_thumbup:

I have really ruffled your feathers tonight. Coffee maybe?

Oh, so it was you that emailed him. Interesting, is Danny aware of your actions? You could lose your 'stripes' here!

So thats how you got caught out? and dont worry danny will be ok aslong as i didnt sign in with his name or the name of his company :)

Nisus, old buddy! I hope I find you well. Yes mate, musn't grumble I have about 3 weeks ahead of me with another couple to quote. Working on the website at the moment but it won't have any pictures on it:RpS_wink:

I bet its not rendering ;)

Fredo iscariot plastering crevices , there you go, free company name, can anyone tell him who fredo was in the corleone family

I'm sure you'll get plenty of work :RpS_thumbup:
Quite a few off here from Kent, when you moving house?

Never noticed that..........It's maybe one of them glitches, probably because it was his old (original) sign-up name. Don't know really marra :RpS_confused:

Unless Danny has changed it back?????

Could i make a request lads that we stop using his original user name cos all the stuff will come up on a google search if anyone is researching his old gaffer if you know what i mean. After all he did'nt ask or look for any of this

Cheers :RpS_thumbup:

Yeah, if I was you Marshall I'd just dab onto the high spots and build the rest of the wall out to suit.....

Now I'll sit back and wait for my TPF cup.
:)

Thanks mate, but it's already finished. well, boarded out anyway.
one of the walls I had to do was a smooth and flat brick wall, so less adhesive was needed. after I finished on the brick wall, I used any left over adhesive to fill in the low spots, then dabbed the boards on the next day.

thanks for all the help guys. now play nice :)

Thanks mate, but it's already finished. well, boarded out anyway.
one of the walls I had to do was a smooth and flat brick wall, so less adhesive was needed. after I finished on the brick wall, I used any left over adhesive to fill in the low spots, then dabbed the boards on the next day.

thanks for all the help guys. now play nice :)

Are any of the walls external?

Are any of the walls external?

Just one yeah, but this wall has holes in it, they look like core drill holes but I have no idea how long ago they were done, they have vents in them to the outside wall, which had been previously covered with plaster. I know you shouldn't dot and dab on to external walls, I did hear that some years ago but it was never fully explained and I have seen people dot and dab on external walls plenty of times.

I have never even had a hint of damp in this house.
just to clear something up, why shouldn't you dot and dab on to exterior walls? I know not to but I was never told why.
is it just stone walls or is it brick and concrete block too?

Possible to get cold spots where the dabs are and moisture tracking through if it's a solid wall. ie no cavity

That was what I heard, but no one had confirmed it until now.
the wall in question is a 16 inch thick solid stone wall. if the wall wasn't ventilated as mine is, what would be the best option? S+C, lime mortar, browning? I have worked with people in the past who have said it's fine to dot and dab on to exterior walls as long as there is a cavity, ie not solid stone. but then I do know a few people that have dot and dabbed on to solid stone exterior walls that haven't had any damp problems. two examples being two walls in my spare room and one wall in my bedroom which my uncle did a few years ago. neither have had a hint of damp, and they haven't got the vent holes like the walls on my stairs and landings have.

You will get cold spots :(

I'm really not being big headed, but I haven't had any cold spots or damp in any other room where an external wall has been dot and dabbed.
if not dot and dab, what should I have done? I have never done anything other than dot and dab.

So thats how you got caught out? and dont worry danny will be ok aslong as i didnt sign in with his name or the name of his company :)

I may owe you an apology, unless your name is Dave Hall?

Dave Hall appears to be a member on these here forums who, for whatever sad, strange or pathetic reason is the one who feels it is necessary to email my ex-boss. He has now emailed him more than once in an attempt to cause trouble, my ex-boss is now forwarding all communications to myself but please keep them coming Dave as they are giving us great entertainment!
My ex-boss and I remain great friends & will continue to support each other when necessary despite trading separately.
I joined these forums as many do, to ask for advice and guidance on the 'trade', I assumed wrongly that this is how this forum operated.
I started a thread asking for advice on how to achieve a flat finish to render, I gave you the facts on materials being used and mix ratios. It was then the forum members not I that began the 'slagging-off' onslaught that followed.
I have witnessed, first hand, what these forums are about and decided that this is not the place I want to be asking for any future advice or help.
I thank those who have offered me grains of wisdom, your help was greatly appreciated.
I wish all health, wealth and happiness for the future.

Goodbye.
Phil

Status
Not open for further replies.