Dodgy bag of uni finish?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, I used a bag of the new 'tried and tested' uni finish on a painted wall, only about 5m sq, but as I spread the plaster it took almost straight away and within 2 minutes it was near gone off, I had to spray it down to flatten it just 5-10 minutes after I applied it, the second coat hung around a little longer but I had both coats on and flattened in half an hour, I still managed to get a good finish on it as if I used multi, but I mixed and applied exactly as I do multi, but with multi finish it hangs around a lot longer. I have only been plastering 6 months and doing small jobs to ensure I can get a good finish, but I'm still confused as to why the plaster dried so quickly, has anyone else experienced this? Thanks

Didn't need to flatten down should of just laid it in ..first coat sucked in acts like a coat of pva that's why I say and it says on the bag 3 coats sometimes if he had put the tight 3rd on ,it would of been more workable.
Difference compared to multi is if it drys fast on first coat forget trying to give a quick flatten before you lay in coat just bang on the laying in (2rd coat) and then do the flattening

Some plasterers like to flatten first coat others just bang on 2rd then flatten.

WP_20160304_08_50_48_Pro.jpg

@theplasterman Thanks for the reply, yeah I saw it said the first coat would pull in very quickly and I was expecting to move fast, I was just surprised by how quickly however, (especially with my lack of speed!) on the second coat I was almost finishing it as I went which turned out fine and only had a little flattening and filling to do after, next time however I won't be flapping like the demented pigeon I was earlier. Cheers, I appreciate it

@theplasterman Thanks for the reply, yeah I saw it said the first coat would pull in very quickly and I was expecting to move fast, I was just surprised by how quickly however, (especially with my lack of speed!) on the second coat I was almost finishing it as I went which turned out fine and only had a little flattening and filling to do after, next time however I won't be flapping like the demented pigeon I was earlier. Cheers, I appreciate it
You can give a second coat with the first mix as well it will wet it up and then lay in with a new mix if speed and time is against you,then flatten as normal.

without doubt with any walls or ceilings that have been skimmed ,painted ,or artexed I always scrape it then seal it with pva.....then I would either use pre grit and leave it 24hrs or pva again and wait til its tacky but always use multi finish I never get any problems...I know its not the same situation but better to be safe than sorry

I don't think I'd use uni on anything larger to be honest, I did manage to get a good flat finish with uni, but I much prefer using multi, however I do think uni is good if the customer only wants one wall/ceiling done that isn't too big, can get in an out much quicker than 2 coats of pva then skimmed, especially as you can lay the 2nd on pretty much straight away @robbiboy1970 but then again that's just my personal, ill-educated opinion!

Nothing safe about scraping asbestos particles all over some one's house
By the time you have put your pva on I would have put my first coat of plaster on and be mixing up my laying in coat..24 hours later I would of done another 2 jobs.
If people still want to use old ways ,fine stick to them..
I not had any failed on adhesion in over 2 years of using unifinish mark 2
I only ever seen one person say it hasn't been ok on adhesion and to be honest I don't give a monkeys because after over a 1000 bags and no problem's myself that I have used I would say that is a pretty good test it was ok.

@theplasterman would you still use uni if you were going over a larger ceiling like 20sqm, even though the first coat pulls in quick? suppose that's why it says you can lay the third on, still quicker than pva and multi, but costs more in plaster, which of course the customer will be paying for (y)

@theplasterman would you still use uni if you were going over a larger ceiling like 20sqm, even though the first coat pulls in quick? suppose that's why it says you can lay the third on, still quicker than pva and multi, but costs more in plaster, which of course the customer will be paying for (y)
I would
Wasn't having a go at you more robbi ,keep seeing people saying they do it properly like unifinish is wrong then in the same sentence say scrape down artex and not got a clue if it has asbestos in or not.
2/3 bag unifinish hit I would do though yes if plasterer can't get round that area themselves then no problem just use traditional pva and multifinish there is nothing wrong with that

I can't believe what I'm seeing there.

And people wonder why the price is falling out the arse in this game.
Mac that suction would be 1 out of 10 surfaces...9 out 10 would work and set as normal it also says use experience as a plasterer would to decide if it was ok for said plasterer to use unifinish...
Every job is different no matter what materials used

Status
Not open for further replies.