General-Lee

Hi there as a farmer I’ve no right to be on here!:censored::LOL:

But every time I search for answers on google and come here I get ‘you’ve reached the maximum amount of views’ so here I am.

Currently building our class q, I’ve done the roof, cladding and fair bit of the groundwork’s, builders the rest. Our savings pot is running dry and have had to tell the builders to stop, I’m looking into things I can do. I’ve never rendered but (whether naively!) up for trying to do it myself.
But am struggling with the best approach namely the best way to deal with the block work below ground level and the exposed block work below dpc.
The 2 sides unless there’s a new opening are the old block work and have no forms of dpc, the ends are new and do have dpc.
Thinking about running a bell cast all the way round the house coinciding with the new block work and dpc.

What should I do with the block work below ground level, breathable render? Waterproof tanking stuff? Leave as it is with a drain and pea gravel against the block?

Then the block work below the bell cast just render and the bead will act as a bridge? Lots of new builds would be brick or stone which would look fine exposed below the render.

Any help greatly appreciated!

Tia Lee

Attachments

• C0C7D67F-D688-49D9-890E-8F21CBD3A3E9.jpeg
    C0C7D67F-D688-49D9-890E-8F21CBD3A3E9.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 271
  • 32A482A3-4423-4A80-965E-8B78D5DF85A1.jpeg
    32A482A3-4423-4A80-965E-8B78D5DF85A1.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 267
  • 377FE828-9D99-4888-9D52-1A35CB92993C.jpeg
    377FE828-9D99-4888-9D52-1A35CB92993C.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 252
  • E5C78B5C-DB58-4037-9EDC-3CB8D8B25EBF.jpeg
    E5C78B5C-DB58-4037-9EDC-3CB8D8B25EBF.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 250
  • 116FC6E2-465E-417F-A0A0-BC570B13F179.jpeg
    116FC6E2-465E-417F-A0A0-BC570B13F179.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 260
  • EFDB85E7-BE36-44F4-8651-4DB58C4C0851.jpeg
    EFDB85E7-BE36-44F4-8651-4DB58C4C0851.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 244
  • F87B76F9-FA0E-4CC9-86E8-A907BADA2329.jpeg
    F87B76F9-FA0E-4CC9-86E8-A907BADA2329.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 260
Ffs save the money and get a renderer in,its a lovely house so don't ruin the f**k*r,by the way who did the bricklaying as it looks shocking tbh

the render that you require is not a diy project. a steel frame building needs a bit of attention. leave it till you have some spare money.
My local farmers are rolling in money this time of the year just after the harvest!

Ffs save the money and get a renderer in,its a lovely house so don't ruin the f**k*r,by the way who did the bricklaying as it looks shocking tbh
Ha glad I joined, you talking the fresh block work or old? Not me never laid a block.
Clad the lot if you ain’t getting a plasterer in! As you will fook it up be worse than Casper’s ceilings
Wouldn’t of been totally against it but had to keep in ‘in keeping’ with how the shed was.
the render that you require is not a diy project. a steel frame building needs a bit of attention. leave it till you have some spare money.
My local farmers are rolling in money this time of the year just after the harvest!
Yeah no doubt, originally I was hoping to render over the steelwork but our builder was worried about the expansion and contraction.
Oh and my boss probably is after harvest...

All your comments are gratefully received, I do pick things up well and keen to try I am a perfectionist so may not help if I do it and it’s not 100%.

Maybe I will try on a random wall on the farm.

Ha glad I joined, you talking the fresh block work or old? Not me never laid a block.

Wouldn’t of been totally against it but had to keep in ‘in keeping’ with how the shed was.

Yeah no doubt, originally I was hoping to render over the steelwork but our builder was worried about the expansion and contraction.

All your comments are gratefully received, I do pick things up well and keen to try I am a perfectionist so may not help if I do it and it’s not 100%.

All of it,joints are huge in some

My only advice is to stop kidding yourself that you're a perfectionist.

Hi there as a farmer I’ve no right to be on here!:censored::LOL:

But every time I search for answers on google and come here I get ‘you’ve reached the maximum amount of views’ so here I am.

Currently building our class q, I’ve done the roof, cladding and fair bit of the groundwork’s, builders the rest. Our savings pot is running dry and have had to tell the builders to stop, I’m looking into things I can do. I’ve never rendered but (whether naively!) up for trying to do it myself.
But am struggling with the best approach namely the best way to deal with the block work below ground level and the exposed block work below dpc.
The 2 sides unless there’s a new opening are the old block work and have no forms of dpc, the ends are new and do have dpc.
Thinking about running a bell cast all the way round the house coinciding with the new block work and dpc.

What should I do with the block work below ground level, breathable render? Waterproof tanking stuff? Leave as it is with a drain and pea gravel against the block?

Then the block work below the bell cast just render and the bead will act as a bridge? Lots of new builds would be brick or stone which would look fine exposed below the render.

Any help greatly appreciated!

Tia Lee
Very resourceful,
Have you got that house by permitted development regs ? Ie built a house using the barns foundations and structure. I’d save up and get a renderer in at a later date.

Very resourceful,
Have you got that house by permitted development regs ? Ie built a house using the barns foundations and structure. I’d save up and get a renderer in at a later date.
Yes that’s it, a class q ‘barn conversion’ struggled with planning but believe that was down to the officer more than anything.

Yes that’s it, a class q ‘barn conversion’ struggled with planning but believe that was down to the officer more than anything.
We’ve just rendered something similar.
Rendered over the girders by fixing noggins, aqua board, and Parex maitie adhesive and mesh, and fitted a compression joint.

We’ve just rendered something similar.
Rendered over the girders by fixing noggins, aqua board, and Parex maitie adhesive and mesh, and fitted a compression joint.
I expected ours to be all rendered but our builder was concerned about it cracking and suggested painting and I actually like it in anthracite.

Have you packed out the walls to suit?

You can render over anything really, as long as you carry out the correct prep work. Your consulting with a builder, consult with a renderer.