Damp + condensation + cold room fitted wardrobes 1930s Bubgalow

Members online

George93

Hi there I’m looking for some help and in desperate need for advice

I brought a 1930s bungalow in the summer and started to notice mold and wet on the ceiling corners forming as the weather turned.

I then started to experience soaking wet Walls in all corners of the exterior walls - from the ceiling all the way down to the floor - in one room it was as though someone had spilt a drink on the floor it was that wet

I have had 3 people come and look and all said different things my roof did have some cracked tiles but the roofer who is fixing it snd replacing felt said my rafters are in good condition so doubts that all of that water would have came from the roof as they would be rotten by now

The bungalow is cool in temperature however all rooms but one do heat up well when the heating is on - the room that doesn’t heat up has fitted wardrobes and I discovered a huge amount of black mould behind them which I’m sure will be caused by the water coming though and the condensation

I have cleaned the mould and currently have a de-humidifier on the go however I’m told that although the roof needed fixing I could still have rising damp or penetrative damp - but I need to wait and see If any more water comes in once the roof is fixed as it was fixed today

I’ve also been told that regardless of the water coming in if I am to put wardrobes back in the cold room that the same problem will happen without fail and I need to insinuate the room either internally (cheap option) or externally and that will keep the room warmer meaning condensation won’t be as bad

I have brought a heater for the cold room and just need some advice on what I should do for now ....naturally I want to solve the problem and also get wardrobes in as we have no where to put our clothes - I don’t want to pay for new wardrobes if the same problem will happen again

I need to solve the damp , to know apart from the roof do I have rising or penetrative damp and also to know what to do about the cold room and the fitted wardrobe situation

I have included some photos of the mould how it looked before and after I cleaned plus a video of water on the floor etc

We do have a baby who is now 11 months who has been poorly and I am aware how bad mold is for babies so am really desperate for this to be resolved

Can someone advise please

Many thanks

Attachments

• 3CB5E67A-5143-4034-9A03-65217189DACF.png
    3CB5E67A-5143-4034-9A03-65217189DACF.png
    3.6 MB · Views: 463
  • EE0A8954-1A1D-4808-A1DA-6E92E0A29137.jpeg
    EE0A8954-1A1D-4808-A1DA-6E92E0A29137.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 428
  • 94488CA4-D5AD-45FD-9861-201965CCEF6E.jpeg
    94488CA4-D5AD-45FD-9861-201965CCEF6E.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,297

I brought a 1930s bungalow in the summer and started to notice mold and wet on the ceiling corners forming as the weather turned.

I then started to experience soaking wet Walls in all corners of the exterior walls - from the ceiling all the way down to the floor - in one room it was as though someone had spilt a drink on the floor it was that wet

I have had 3 people come and look and all said different things my roof did have some cracked tiles but the roofer who is fixing it snd replacing felt said my rafters are in good condition so doubts that all of that water would have came from the roof as they would be rotten by now

The bungalow is cool in temperature however all rooms but one do heat up well when the heating is on - the room that doesn’t heat up has fitted wardrobes and I discovered a huge amount of black mould behind them which I’m sure will be caused by the water coming though and the condensation

I have cleaned the mould and currently have a de-humidifier on the go however I’m told that although the roof needed fixing I could still have rising damp or penetrative damp - but I need to wait and see If any more water comes in once the roof is fixed as it was fixed today

I’ve also been told that regardless of the water coming in if I am to put wardrobes back in the cold room that the same problem will happen without fail and I need to insinuate the room either internally (cheap option) or externally and that will keep the room warmer meaning condensation won’t be as bad

I have brought a heater for the cold room and just need some advice on what I should do for now ....naturally I want to solve the problem and also get wardrobes in as we have no where to put our clothes - I don’t want to pay for new wardrobes if the same problem will happen again

I need to solve the damp , to know apart from the roof do I have rising or penetrative damp and also to know what to do about the cold room and the fitted wardrobe situation

I have included some photos of the mould how it looked before and after I cleaned plus a video of water on the floor etc

We do have a baby who is now 11 months who has been poorly and I am aware how bad mold is for babies so am really desperate for this to be resolved

Many thanks
you got a code?

Grow a thick ivy up exterior walls , cheapest option , great for the environment , phone your local MP hopefuls and see who's gonna lay you the most , your gonna be rich

Any insulation in your loft ? I’d presume there is very little, contact your gas energy supplier they should do you a 360 mm installation very cheap as they are subsidised to do so , then on the exterior wall get quotes for thermaline boards installed , also check your vent in the room to make sure that’s clear and not blocked up or covered over

Any insulation in your loft ? I’d presume there is very little, contact your gas energy supplier they should do you a 360 mm installation very cheap as they are subsidised to do so , then on the exterior wall get quotes for thermaline boards installed , also check your vent in the room to make sure that’s clear and not blocked up or covered over
Many Thanks for your reply and advice

I’m not a tradesman, but have had more experience than I’d like with damp. We had mould round the top of the outside walls in the main bedroom. Cleaned it off with mild bleach and unblocked the chimney to let the air circulate in the room again. Mould never returned after that.

wal

Many thanks

Your problem is easily sorted.

Insulate that loft. You're causing a cold spot where you meet the wall, creating a dew point for condensation.

Ventilate those rooms when they're not being heated.

Get some mould paint. It's expensive - £80 a tin but it will work.

Stand any furniture away from the wall.

Use central heating or electric, not gas.

Consider a dehumidifier or those absorbent things (don't know how good they are though)

Take extra care to ventilate your kitchen and bathroom.

wal

Your problem is easily sorted.

Insulate that loft. You're causing a cold spot where you meet the wall, creating a dew point for condensation.

Ventilate those rooms when they're not being heated.

Get some mould paint. It's expensive - £80 a tin but it will work.

Stand any furniture away from the wall.

Use central heating or electric, not gas.

Consider a dehumidifier or those absorbent things (don't know how good they are though)

Take extra care to ventilate your kitchen and bathroom.

Okay got it thanks

One thing I’m not sure of is the balance of heating and ventilation

Naturally the more you ventilate the more heat you lose and as it’s a cold room I don’t know what the balance is

I was thinking about opening the windows in the day (aslong as it’s not raining as I’m assuming that will make the room more humid)

I have a vent which is blocked so also having this uncovered and open in the day if I get a cover

Then of an evening close the vent and turning on the oil heater we have for a few hours before we go to bed

Is that how you would do it ?

I don’t know if the change in temp can cause condensation or is the fact it’s being heated to a good level once a day will mean it will prevent the damp/condensation

also do you recommend heating the room with a medium heat using the oil heater or blasting it on full (not sure if it makes a difference)
Thanks again for your help ....

Okay got it thanks

One thing I’m not sure of is the balance of heating and ventilation

Naturally the more you ventilate the more heat you lose and as it’s a cold room I don’t know what the balance is

I was thinking about opening the windows in the day (aslong as it’s not raining as I’m assuming that will make the room more humid)

I have a vent which is blocked so also having this uncovered and open in the day if I get a cover

Then of an evening close the vent and turning on the oil heater we have for a few hours before we go to bed

Is that how you would do it ?

I don’t know if the change in temp can cause condensation or is the fact it’s being heated to a good level once a day will mean it will prevent the damp/condensation

also do you recommend heating the room with a medium heat using the oil heater or blasting it on full (not sure if it makes a difference)
Thanks again for your help ....

Get some actual temp + humidity measurements. Cheap loggers available.
What you are interested in is the dew point and the temperature of the walls. If the inner surface of the walls are colder than the dew point then condensation will form on the surface and produce mould.

You can have ventilation without loosing all the heat. A single room heat recovery unit can help as it will eject humid air and bring in dry air which is partially warmed by the heat exchange. Runs at a low level throughout the day which can help clean up the air.

Is is a cavity wall or solid wall?

Little known fact how bungalows came about, on a Friday the brickys was tired!! So the forman said OK lads knock off we will bung a low roof on this one!!!
True story dat!!!