Cove or no cove

• Yes

Votes: 10 55.6%
  • No

Votes: 8 44.4%

• Total voters

Rossi46

Private Member
We moved house just before Xmas and I'm just about to start on the plastering after waiting a month for a plumber to do his thing :mad:
Problem I've got is there's 5" coving throughout the house. One day I say to myself "it's coming down" next day I say
" looks good I'll leave it"
What do you reckon? Has it had its day and looks a bit dated?

Thanks y'all

Hate coving.... unless its the proper stuff... IMO cornice should be in houses with tall ceilings... not your typical house...

Depends on height of ceiling, if it's over 9' - 10' I'd have some nice coving other than that I hate the stuff.

Personally I like plain gyprock in modern houses also easier when decorating...

Obviously period properties with high walls warrent traditional fibrous work

I am in the same position pal but am going to do a tiered ceiling like they have in America... not many have them over here..

if its a period building, cornice adds that touch of elegance however plain gyproc coving looks well in the living room(y)

IMG_4173.PNG
I had artex and coving in my house (can't live with that) ripped all the coving out throughout the house and sorted the ceilings/internal angle out - it makes the house instantly more crisp & modern looking, the ceilings look much higher also. I did a photo between the bedroom and the bathroom (that's not been done yet) and you can see the difference.

We moved house just before Xmas and I'm just about to start on the plastering after waiting a month for a plumber to do his thing :mad:
Problem I've got is there's 5" coving throughout the house. One day I say to myself "it's coming down" next day I say

Thanks y'all
Get rid rossi

Thanks y'all
Rip the crap out ffs its 2017 not 1601

I actually think coving finishes a room off
Traditional victoriana property get the fibrous cornice.
In the modern house I do like the plain old 127.
But again when you skim properly like in the pic above and get a nice crisp straight line it can look great.
It's not always possible when over skimming as the walls can be a mess to start with.
In that case I'd always say coving finishes it off.

Personal preferences though

Rip the crap out ffs its 2017 not 1601
It is 2017 buddy but over modernising a house does my nut in...i see 80 year old semi's near me getting k-rend on and i think it looks terrible..... going to render mine next year and going to dash it but with a modern receiver with a nice stone...

It is 2017 buddy but over modernising a house does my nut in...i see 80 year old semi's near me getting k-rend on and i think it looks terrible..... going to render mine next year and going to dash it but with a modern receiver with a nice stone...
I'm the same.
My house is a mid terrace which I inherited from me parents (still alive btw).
Years ago just as I was born they had a mate put this God awful render on the front instead of repainting the bricks.
Tbf it looked good back then and every f**k*r round here wanted it done. But it's tired and crumbling off now in places and I really do need to get round to knocking it off and re doing it.
Only thing that puts me off every year is i need to replace the bay window as its still timber and iys shagged plus there's a porch that was added to the house a few years later that's just breeze and then matched to the house and that f**k*r is stuck like rock.
The sds chisel might not cut the mustard on that. Always putting it off finding something better to do lol.
The rest of the house is over engineering bricks and tbf I reckon I could pull most of it off with my hands now.

Fitted a new front bedroom window and that brought loads off.

Ball ache as well only a small area but you've got porch stuck on then bay more or less touching it.
Neighbours bay more or less touches mine as well.

It's one of those jobs that always gets put off to another day.

i prefer cornice rather than gyproc cove but I think it depends on how modern the room is.. it suits some rooms it doesn't suit others, if you were to keep it Find a nice ceiling rose to go with it and the rose will become the focal point of the ceiling (depending on the size of the rose) sets it off well

Modern minimalist sharp empty is my style mate
Thank f@ck for that , makes my skin boil tbh go round old houses and they say "oh can you patch up or sort out the original " lol "features " , I tell um straight yeah I'm sure someone would happily take £800 odd off ya to put that old crap back up or tell you what I'll rip the crap down and bang some nice warm 27mm insulation boards up and save you on future heating bills plus give you nice sharp clean edges ...

For £750 :birra:

Last edited:
Thank f@ck for that , makes my skin boil tbh go round old houses and they say "oh can you patch up or sort out the original " lol "features " , I tell um straight yeah I'm sure someone would happily take £800 odd off ya to put that old crap back up or tell you what I'll rip the crap down and bang some nice warm 27mm insulation boards up and save you on future heating bills plus give you nice sharp clean edges ...

For £750 :birra:

If you were trading in the 70s you'd be telling us how great avocado bathroom suites are...

Problem with being bang up to date is it's soon dated.

I hate it when people say we love the original features like cornice,picture rails cast iron fire then put a 60" plasma on the wall................. did a chimney breast for an old neighbour and resest the tv into the wall and when they arent using the tv they have a mirror hung over it....

Seems it's a 50/50 split on opinions. Down to personal preference I suppose. The mrs likes it and I'm not sure. Decision time :hueco:

My last 3 full reskims the customers have asked for coving to be fitted thru out. I went to a few merchants and it was sold out. So maybe making a comeback

I'm lobbing some up at mine as we speak (swan neck) I don't like the c shape coving it looks tacky in my opinion plus I couldn't be arsed to do nice neat ceiling lines.

I think coving gives character. The nay problem I see is the rooms and houses n uk are not big enough to allow standard coving size to shine . Smaller size coving can be a different story.