Apprentice Progression

Exactly! They forget all you did for them. We'll maybe they don't but they think they've repaid you already.
Too true! They definitely forget all the good you do for them. I've spoilt a few over the years and as soon as things go sour they turn their back on you like all you've done is abuse them!

@Arti at the end of the day mate you're a very good spread who I know retrained after the army....you know what you need and expect as you done it yourself....if he doesnt cut the mustard then move him on

I will say superspread was good to me even after we parted ways always gave advice if I was stuck and has wise words I used to think he was picking on me but everything he says actually started to make sense one of best plasterers I've ever worked with I don't say that to brown nose it's just I've worked with a few and now try not to be like a lot I have worked with lol the youngsters now just ain't interested in grafting its that weed they smoke messes with the way they act and are dopey it's either in you to graft or it ain't and it's becoming very limited if you can find a grafter
Not one of the best, THE BEST:coffe:

I thought I was worth more than I was but got told it will come at the time it don't feel like it but will say although it's a crap job at times I can always earn a living doing it I've rarely had a day where I had no work as if I do have 2 spare days I will have a ring round see if anyone got anything I hear labourers get 50 a day now I would of killed for that sort of money (before it gets said I'm not on much more now lol)

Too true! They definitely forget all the good you do for them. I've spoilt a few over the years and as soon as things go sour they turn their back on you like all you've done is abuse them!
Perhaps wrong choice of words there pal. I'm visualising Jimmy Savile telling the apprentice that it's "clean the back of the van out time " :eek:

Still to this day I would never say a bad word about my old boss. He taught me a skill for life. We only parted company when he didnt want to pay me the money I wanted after 5 years.

I know we moan about these lads but we've been there? We all must have got f**k*d off or left someone who trained us to be where we are now?

I had years of dog abuse was told I would be picked up be there or we drive off stood in the pissing down rain waiting for 40 mins some mornings soaked to the bone get to site get told right out van take tools up get a mix in and have one on board for us once they start I was mixing flattening then making sure had water bags scrim up next bit put beads up mix up bit for a cupboard for myself then get ready to go again all the time being called s**t slow f**k sake your in the way have you done this go see the fork lift driver stuff being thrown at me as well how I stuck it I will never know but glad I did I wish I had a boss like @theclemo he seems tame to blokes I worked with

I know we moan about these lads but we've been there? We all must have got f**k*d off or left someone who trained us to be where we are now?
Still work with guy who trained me up anyways I stole this link off a friend it sums up everything

The role reversal sounds like a really good idea
I actually did that when I got him the job skimming my mates office. We went for a few hours the day before he was starting and did some prep. I was his bitch and I told him to tell me what he needed doing. He was like a rabbit in the headlights. It gave him an insight to what it's like when your thinking of 10 things that need doing and your apprentice is having a brain fact. Lol

Still to this day I would never say a bad word about my old boss. He taught me a skill for life. We only parted company when he didnt want to pay me the money I wanted after 5 years.
Me and superspread sort of fell out mostly me being a dick and me not taking in what he was saying at that time I wouldn't say a bad word about him now and he has stuck by me even after all that always on end of phone I got a problem work wise and we chat on a regular it's a regret that I didn't stick with him cos learnt loads off him and still do we all meet certain people over our lifetimes that stick in the mind

He's on apprentice wage of £3.40 an hour but goes up in may because of his age to £6.95 he's 22
At 22 I would want more money than that but I would be Hungary for it and prove my worth rather than earn that I know your learning a trade but you gotta have fire in your belly,no one tells you when your doing well but I believe it does gets noticed and you reap the rewards but f**k up amd your told straight away

OP, your not to bad. I've had few older ones trying the stone work to get them a wage. I never totally understood the term 'ya can't teach an old dog new tricks' untill I've went through what I did with a few friends/family. Now, no one is getting near my stone jobs only me, untill I meet someone who can produce same results as me. I know I'm a fussy f**k*r when it comes to my work but can be really frustrating when you can see faults, point them out and they can't see what your talking about. Lesson learnt in 2016?

I got told once a man who says "that will do" regarding his work has no pride and doesn't care

At 22 I would want more money than that but I would be Hungary for it and prove my worth rather than earn that I know your learning a trade but you gotta have fire in your belly,no one tells you when your doing well but I believe it does gets noticed and you reap the rewards but f**k up amd your told straight away

That's whats wrong today thou. People think because they are a certain age, they should get x amount of money. In my book, it's what you can do! Not what age you are.

That's whats wrong today thou. People think because they are a certain age, they should get x amount of money. In my book, it's what you can do! Not what age you are.
I worked for a restoration firm for 18 months and there was a young bloke 23 on there he was one of best blokes I've ever seen work his dad taught him and his dad was good so does prove it ain't about age it's about how you apply yourself

You done well to last that long mate
It is really frustrating to have to keep pushing them to get on. Like pushing water uphill. All ya want is a reliable hard worker who wants to learn, soaks up the knowledge like a sponge, takes advice well, sucks it up when the going is a bit tough, and always turns up the next day no matter what.

Trouble is when you get one like this, he ups and leaves just when you can rely on him.

I work alone.

It is really frustrating to have to keep pushing them to get on. Like pushing water uphill. All ya want is a reliable hard worker who wants to learn, soaks up the knowledge like a sponge, takes advice well, sucks it up when the going is a bit tough, and always turns up the next day no matter what.

Trouble is when you get one like this, he ups and leaves just when you can rely on him.

I work alone.
I work alone now can't get anyone decent even my nephew who is 16 let me down cos he couldn't hack it wants an easy ride all the time

I work alone now can't get anyone decent even my nephew who is 16 let me down cos he couldn't hack it wants an easy ride all the time
I blame .......everyone.
Schools.....turning out poorly educated softies.
Parents......a bit of tough love and respect for others might not go amiss.
Society......we are allowing our young to think that "celebrity" is a career prospect, and that the benefits system is there in case you don't really feel like working.
In that sort of environment, it is difficult to chastise a lad, they're all for quoting their "human" rights.......blah, workplace bullying...blah
Every now and then I am pleasantly surprised, but it happens less and less.

Trouble is the 16-18 year olds these days didn't have parents like many of us had I got nothing off my old man and if I wanted anything I had to pay out my own money

arti, your apprentice , he is late at 22 years old. we started at 15, after 9 months we could float and set a small flat wall, a cupboard. after about 3 years we would be house bashing and screeding the floor. we then spent 2years as an improver, after which you would be on the tape. apprenticeship finished at 21 years of age, 6 months probation then 5 year signed indenture.

some plasterers are better teachers then others, i know a local master plasterer he was very strict with his boys but he got them plastering quickly. although harry is now long gone when you see his apprentices work it is just like harry would have finished.

My apprentice is doing well. Started off ignorant but now is progrssing well.

He is going to get a wage increase this March. Lost my lab recently, pity, him and the lad made a good team.

I find apprentices get to a comfort zone and stays there. This one is eager to learn.

I when I've had the youngsters in with me or firms I've worked for in past have put the young ones with me try to be laid back and not explain things and give directions that I had probably seen as a soft touch but I knew how I felt when I was being slagged off put down while at work if you enjoy your work u will produce the goods that's my theory anyway

Youd never get away with how it was when us older chaps served thier time. Its all too PC now and you cant give them a clout or anything!!?? Lay a finger on them or go ballistic at them you get hung drawn and quartered

I when I've had the youngsters in with me or firms I've worked for in past have put the young ones with me try to be laid back and not explain things and give directions that I had probably seen as a soft touch but I knew how I felt when I was being slagged off put down while at work if you enjoy your work u will produce the goods that's my theory anyway
In theory Happy workers are productive workers. Unhappy workers far less likely to give a s**t or work like f**k for ppl who pay and/or treat them s**t

It's character building in my eyes I've become who I am because of way I learnt I could dish it out but was a sensitive soul when receiving but I learnt to take it and then go one better and now take piss out myself which some when trying to give it can't get head round I can take piss out of myself,last 3 young kids I've had with me are always ill gotta go Drs at least 3 times a month I ain't been Drs in 15 years

Thats why i was soft on the lad in his 3rd year and as i say i only shouted acouple of times when he f**k*d up. I didnt think he would quit especially knowing him as i did but obviously in my case it backfired but what goes around comes around and things happen for a reason wether we like it or not?

It's character building in my eyes I've become who I am because of way I learnt I could dish it out but was a sensitive soul when receiving but I learnt to take it and then go one better and now take piss out myself which some when trying to give it can't get head round I can take piss out of myself,last 3 young kids I've had with me are always ill gotta go Drs at least 3 times a month I ain't been Drs in 15 years
I've been docs once in ten years, to Register, not since. Had one day off sick in years and it was coz I had the runs. f**k that end up getting caught short on way to work. Lol I'm lucky that way, so far touch wood anyways. Also don't want to let ppl down and be an unreliable c**t, taking days off with sniffles. And of course we don't get paid self employed for sick days lol most the time couple paid killers and a lucozade or red bull tides u over lol

I've been docs once in ten years, to Register, not since. Had one day off sick in years and it was coz I had the runs. f**k that end up getting caught short on way to work. Lol I'm lucky that way, so far touch wood anyways. Also don't want to let ppl down and be an unreliable c**t, taking days off with sniffles. And of course we don't get paid self employed for sick days lol most the time couple paid killers and a lucozade or red bull tides u over lol
I find it easier to be at work with a cold or flu than moping about all day indoors but one I can't do is shits I had norovirus in November I was in a bad way no way could I work with what was happening to me