Apprentice Progression

I'm on my own again now and I'm in 2 minds? I hate the unloading and loading up of the van with a passion especially if it's pissing down and customer already has his cars on the driveway!!
But I have my way of sheeting/taping up etc and cleaning everything as I go and it used to irk me when the lad would leave certain things in a certain way I didn't like or not as clean as it should be etc.
This coming year I'm shortening my hours of work and days too as only my wage to worry about. I've too much to do on the house so needs must and all that

Sounds like me! What's happened to your lad?

He's on apprentice wage of £3.40 an hour but goes up in may because of his age to £6.95 he's 22

Got ya. So in may if he don't get quicker he's not going to cover his wage, skim wise.

If he's really helpful with all the other shity parts of the job and you like him. He'll be worth £7 an hour.

Also, I appreciate this trade ain't for everyone and at times I thought just get a labourer as and when for overboarding etc and I normally get CTPlastering for render jobs and save me sell the stress cos it's been a nightmare from time to time

Sounds like me! What's happened to your lad?
He quit a week before finishing his 3rd year and going on full money!!?? I told him he'd be silly to quit with a week to go?? so he finished and thinks he can cut it on a site. Don't get me wrong what he did he did very well but I think site work will not be for him?? I hope he does ok etc. but it has put me off taking another lad on to train up

Also, I appreciate this trade ain't for everyone and at times I thought just get a labourer as and when for overboarding etc and I normally get CTPlastering for render jobs and save me sell the stress cos it's been a nightmare from time to time
How is Carl?? long time no hear on here?? :)

How was your progression for your 1 St year?
Lol, not sure how to answer that....i had a few weeks with pete then was on my own....ive had to lay on two walls at a time from the start as if not couldnt have made it pay....i used to lay on a ceiling and feel rushed but now happy with ceiling and a wall and plenty of time for a fag etc....my main change is in my brain, the stress was horrible at first thinking id loose a set but now calmer as realised I can pull things back if needed....dont compare your lads progression to mine though because I had to make it work as I got a wife and family so learned fast where he's young so doesnt have the same sort of pressure....probably sounds daft but when you need something you make it work but a 17 year old doesnt need anything so doesnt push on the same

How is Carl?? long time no hear on here?? :)
He's canny we pass work around and help each other out. Been a good contact off here. Not sure why he ain't been on though. His lass might be putting the bite on ;-)

He quit a week before finishing his 3rd year and going on full money!!?? I told him he'd be silly to quit with a week to go?? so he finished and thinks he can cut it on a site. Don't get me wrong what he did he did very well but I think site work will not be for him?? I hope he does ok etc. but it has put me off taking another lad on to train up

He might be in touch then when he find out its not for him. If he's being doing domestics with you what makes him think he's going be cut out for site?

Or maybe some else filling his head with shite...

Lol, not sure how to answer that....i had a few weeks with pete then was on my own....ive had to lay on two walls at a time from the start as if not couldnt have made it pay....i used to lay on a ceiling and feel rushed but now happy with ceiling and a wall and plenty of time for a fag etc....my main change is in my brain, the stress was horrible at first thinking id loose a set but now calmer as realised I can pull things back if needed....dont compare your lads progression to mine though because I had to make it work as I got a wife and family so learned fast where he's young so doesnt have the same sort of pressure....probably sounds daft but when you need something you make it work but a 17 year old doesnt need anything so doesnt push on the same
Bet you learned more on your own. It's a canny learning curve but you'll be better for it. Stress and all.

My lads on his last warning. He let me down the last day we were in before Xmas and dropped me right in the s**t. Sat outside his house for 15 mins and he didn't get out of bed. It's a 20 minute drive to his house too!!

The way I feel at the moment I'd be happier on my own. He's hit a bit of a plateau but after 18 months. Keeps making stupid mistakes and then just turns and says "o I wasn't thinking"
The more he says that the more angry I get! He comes in some days and it's like he left his brain at home.

Too much work on to get rid though it's a tough one. The thought of winding things down and ticking over alone again won't go away :confused:

Bet you learned more on your own. It's a canny learning curve but you'll be better for it. Stress and all.
Yeah totally agree, he will learn slower because dont need to engage his brain as much...if there's a problem he gives it to you and its your problem...my problems were all my own from the star.... stress and backache aside though I would do it again

He might be in touch then when he find out its not for him. If he's being doing domestics with you what makes him think he's going be cut out for site?

Or maybe some else filling his head with shite...
He had the money Carrott dangled etc. he started going downhill once he got (finally) a girlfriend then it was wanting a sub on Monday then rest of wages early etc. wanting to finish work early and start late?? I got sick of it to be honest and if/when he tries to come back? no chance as it proper left me in the s**t as I'd taken on a lot of work assuming the lad was with me and I've had to turn a fair bit away which I wasn't happy about but it's made me learn from it

My lads on his last warning. He let me down the last day we were in before Xmas and dropped me right in the s**t. Sat outside his house for 15 mins and he didn't get out of bed. It's a 20 minute drive to his house too!!

The way I feel at the moment I'd be happier on my own. He's hit a bit of a plateau but after 18 months. Keeps making stupid mistakes and then just turns and says "o I wasn't thinking"
The more he says that the more angry I get! He comes in some days and it's like he left his brain at home.

Too much work on to get rid though it's a tough one. The thought of winding things down and ticking over alone again won't go away :confused:

It's hard to believe how annoying it is when you know they can do it. It's just a lack of thought

You done well to last that long mate

He had the money Carrott dangled etc. he started going downhill once he got (finally) a girlfriend then it was wanting a sub on Monday then rest of wages early etc. wanting to finish work early and start late?? I got sick of it to be honest and if/when he tries to come back? no chance as it proper left me in the s**t as I'd taken on a lot of work assuming the lad was with me and I've had to turn a fair bit away which I wasn't happy about but it's made me learn from it

I'm sure you'll hear from him. You've just gotta think you've had your money's worth and move on. I had another lad f**k me over this year so I know the feeling AGAIN! Ha

Ye I Definately agree with certain points he seems to have hit a wall, some people need pushing every day which can be annoying but needs must, it's a hard trade when learning to keep motivated but I certainly think a pay rise would help I've got to admit my dad pushed me really hard but I thank him for it now he was never soft with me.
He was paying me 35 a day I was skimming ceilings and walls by eight months so he seems at at the right stage to me also he said to me every day is it will pay when you've learnt properly and you've got to want it.

I'm sure you'll hear from him. You've just gotta think you've had your money's worth and move on. I had another lad f**k me over this year so I know the feeling AGAIN! Ha
He's defo not quick enough to cut it on site and he still can't float properly or render. it will be a big wake up call that's for sure.

Do you think we're all to soft with the young lads? When I was appreciate my boss was hard and short tempered. But did reward me.

I'll admit I've been soft as shite with all the lads I've had. Take them home, buy breakfast, subbing money etc

Where would you expect an apprentice of 8 months to be in terms of skill level?

Interested to get a broad range of expectation.

Cheers

Love
Arti
Xxxxxxxxxx
At least flattening off keeping in front water ect getting mix right and knowing materials if I say hardwall that they would know the consistency keep things clean and tidy,my biggest bug bare is turning up late on the phone or waiting to be told what to do I also hate that first thing in morning question what time will we be finishing today

I don't think a soft approach is the right one! praise them when they've achieved something but don't spoil them , they need that hard working attitude to progress

At least flattening off keeping in front water ect getting mix right and knowing materials if I say hardwall that they would know the consistency keep things clean and tidy,my biggest bug bare is turning up late on the phone or waiting to be told what to do I also hate that first thing in morning question what time will we be finishing today
I used to tell the boy it will be late for you as your f**k**g walking home if you ask me that again!! not even flicked the kettle on and boy is asking what time are we finishing!!!! always sent me 0-100 that question

I was too soft on the boy especially after he passed his 2nd year with flying colours. I was in the mindset if I look after him etc I bought most of his tools and work wear. Mrs Marshy always said I spoil him but I said it keeps him happy and motivated plus won't leg it as soon as he's finished his apprenticeship etc. How wrong I was

I used to tell the boy it will be late for you as your f**k**g walking home if you ask me that again!! not even flicked the kettle on and boy is asking what time are we finishing!!!! always sent me 0-100 that question
I will say superspread was good to me even after we parted ways always gave advice if I was stuck and has wise words I used to think he was picking on me but everything he says actually started to make sense one of best plasterers I've ever worked with I don't say that to brown nose it's just I've worked with a few and now try not to be like a lot I have worked with lol the youngsters now just ain't interested in grafting its that weed they smoke messes with the way they act and are dopey it's either in you to graft or it ain't and it's becoming very limited if you can find a grafter

It sounds like his hearts not in it. He might feel like he's just another of the working dead. Maybe look at it from his side? He might not be able to verbalise why he hasn't stepped up to the plate, but perhaps if you give him greater responsibility it might ignite some spark in him. Maybe let him drive the van or even price a job. Even do role reversal for a day - you be the apprentice and let him be the master. Let him appreciate all the responsibilities and decisions that need to be made and the skills that need to be mastered on a daily basis. He might view things differently after that. It's worth a try.

I was too soft on the boy especially after he passed his 2nd year with flying colours. I was in the mindset if I look after him etc I bought most of his tools and work wear. Mrs Marshy always said I spoil him but I said it keeps him happy and motivated plus won't leg it as soon as he's finished his apprenticeship etc. How wrong I was

Exactly! They forget all you did for them. We'll maybe they don't but they think they've repaid you already.

I do wish I had started young and could have done a full education

It sounds like his hearts not in it. He might feel like he's just another of the working dead. Maybe look at it from his side? He might not be able to verbalise why he hasn't stepped up to the plate, but perhaps if you give him greater responsibility it might ignite some spark in him. Maybe let him drive the van or even price a job. Even do role reversal for a day - you be the apprentice and let him be the master. Let him appreciate all the responsibilities and decisions that need to be made and the skills that need to be mastered on a daily basis. He might view things differently after that. It's worth a try.

Might get to big for his boots?

The role reversal sounds like a really good idea

I think some feel they should be on much more money than they deserve!! I used to tell my lad that he needed to remember that he is learning a trade and he doesn't have any responsibility apart from turning up on time. If I don't get paid? he does.
Once they "master" how to skim a small wall/ceiling by themselves to a decent standard it's like (some lads) think they know it all and should be on top dollar !!??