1 coat skimming with supaflex

Members online

Any one ever thought why it's now ok to use one coat of render (OCR) but as soon as people mention it with skimming it's wrong!?

Because when multi came first on the market no one has used long enough to develop different technik. And let's be honest, second coat pretty much covers "overskim", which is always better on repairs. BG makes sure is covered whatever hapens . When you doing this for a long time you have the sense how to deal with the plaster and wether 1or2 is best for you you stick to it . How you know when is the right time to pop that potato from charcoal if you don't burn yourself several times! And I don't think there is anything better!
I mean nice potatoe from the charcoal:asadito::descansando:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is this anybody u know ,is this how some on here do it ? @algeeman etc

No mate that's a s**t why of doing it tbh. When that is painted it will be full of ripples. I find for me is best mix skim a bit stiffer coat top half of wall then bottom half flatten with speedskim. Then sponge it when ready. Trowel it with a mt. It will look nearly finished. Then trowel again when ready with mt. Then dry trowel with s*p*r*lex or plastic finished. That's how I do it with irish skim can't see it being any different then multi.

Screenshot_20161103-122600.png

Couldnt agree any more Clemo.Two blokes on one wall might as well have just done two coats but thrown room on.oh and do like the spraying the walls around sockets!lol

No mate that's a s**t why of doing it tbh. When that is painted it will be full of ripples. I find for me is best mix skim a bit stiffer coat top half of wall then bottom half flatten with speedskim. Then sponge it when ready. Trowel it with a mt. It will look nearly finished. Then trowel again when ready with mt. Then dry trowel with s*p*r*lex or plastic finished. That's how I do it with irish skim can't see it being any different then multi.

View attachment 16016
Is that bead plumb Clemo ? I'm twisting the laptop to try and eye it off the frame but its not working for me haha

We made a boo boo with the plastic trowels after chrisrmas . We had nice high big walls for doing , I'd ordered a new one for my mate to try and he loved it .
We would lash on a go (1 coat ) and I would leave him troweling cos I had other things to do . He was praising the f**k out of the plastic saying he wanted pricework cos he would make a fortune without breaking a sweat .
By friday we were more or less finished and cleaning up when I left a light at the bottom of the wall while I was sweeping up , it showed up every joint of every board and plenty of bad trowelling that we never noticed in the daylight .
I thought it would be a reskim but there was a serious shine on it from all the plastic trowelling so said we would hit it with sanding poles first before the painters gave it a first coat and if it was still woeful we would grit it and reskim
The sanding worked wonders , once the high shine was gone it looked way better and alot harder to pick out the joints and gave the painters a few quid to get any bits we missed with fillers so you wouldnt know it any different now .
We were lucky to spot it before the lights were wired and showed us up .
I think my man was troweling too early with the plastic and thinking it was finished because it closed in so well and no lines left .
We will be still giving it a plastic trowel but it will definitely be left to firm up better and then hit with the mt for a trowel to pull things together better anymore

We made a boo boo with the plastic trowels after chrisrmas . We had nice high big walls for doing , I'd ordered a new one for my mate to try and he loved it .
We would lash on a go (1 coat ) and I would leave him troweling cos I had other things to do . He was praising the f**k out of the plastic saying he wanted pricework cos he would make a fortune without breaking a sweat .
By friday we were more or less finished and cleaning up when I left a light at the bottom of the wall while I was sweeping up , it showed up every joint of every board and plenty of bad trowelling that we never noticed in the daylight .
I thought it would be a reskim but there was a serious shine on it from all the plastic trowelling so said we would hit it with sanding poles first before the painters gave it a first coat and if it was still woeful we would grit it and reskim
The sanding worked wonders , once the high shine was gone it looked way better and alot harder to pick out the joints and gave the painters a few quid to get any bits we missed with fillers so you wouldnt know it any different now .
We were lucky to spot it before the lights were wired and showed us up .
I think my man was troweling too early with the plastic and thinking it was finished because it closed in so well and no lines left .
We will be still giving it a plastic trowel but it will definitely be left to firm up better and then hit with the mt for a trowel to pull things together better anymore

Only use the plastic for a day last trowel same as the s*p*r*lex. Speedskim and mt for the rest of the set.

Only use the plastic for a day last trowel same as the s*p*r*lex. Speedskim and mt for the rest of the set.
Yup , it was too easy for it to be good the whole way through , my man was going to take the con saw to his mt haha(until we left it in a s**t )

When did skimming get so over complicated
I know , we were looking at what went wrong and one of them was we had a box with 13 trowels between us for different things , a couple of years ago he just had one trowel for everything and used a second hawk I had . From one extreme to another haha

No use that mediflex i got off ryan but only for a last cross trowel still find the blade a bit to wide for me

No use that mediflex i got off ryan but only for a last cross trowel still find the blade a bit to wide for me

I've used them all now and still think the old way is better.
I run the s*p*r*lex over at the end although a stiff trowel throughout is the better finish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can anyone 1 coat with refina supaflex ??
Easy with mt.
Had a new supaflex for 2 days.
Got the hang of it...(finish set later instead of earlier).
Any problems with joints when painted ??
I cant skim reveals with it !!
Thanks for replies.

Use your hawk for troweling the window reveals. comes up lovely. scrape the beads with a spoon too.:rayos:

Use your hawk for troweling the window reveals. comes up lovely. scrape the beads with a spoon too.:rayos:

Took out chimney blocked it back up
Put in steel bricked it back up
Damped ..boarded ..dabbed.. sand and cement floated ..glued prepped and skimmed.
Next to lay ply level and cement floor.
All with a hawk and spoon.

Attachments

• 20170131_131624.jpg
    20170131_131624.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 340
  • 20170131_131551.jpg
    20170131_131551.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 388
  • 20170131_131556.jpg
    20170131_131556.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 301

View attachment 16016
I gave that whirl on sum patching n small walls today went sound but yer right after " sponging " lol u got to flatten back with MT instead of plastic plazi etc