Your age / Time served

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
im 50 but didn't start till I was 20 I worked with a plastering tutor who was very good taught me loads so 30 big years for me

47 started in 87 on skill centre course in West Brom which lasted 6 months. From there
worked for 2 time served spreads before going on my own in 91

Age 56
Started July 1972.
Experience 41 years

4 year apprenticeship

Loved plastering. It was my hobby as well. But had the love of it kicked out of me by other spreads and builders attitude. I had to get out of it to keep my sanity.

Been rendering on the domestics since 1989. As said in a previous thread it is a love/hate relationship. But when I am on the tools and getting my own way I am happy. How long will I continue? As long as I can. Being on here with enthusiastic other spreads helps!

Went to work first time with the old man at 12, couldn't lift the 50kg bags so he left me to play rugby and swimming till I was 13 then worked every weekend and a lot of evenings till I left school , went darnt pit as an apprentice mech engineer .still worked weekends ,holidays any evenings with the old man to supplement my drinking habits, took early redundancy after 6 years was straight into a job with old man , couldn't believe the **** pay he/I was getting so went on my own, was self employed right up until Feb of last year. Now installations manager for a green deal/Eco provider , currently surveying properties in India

I'm using The Plasterers Forum Mobile App

I'm an ex sas soldier and got in te plastering aboot 12 months ago after watching a YouTube vid. Noo I'm Aberdeens resident expert! Flat oot wi 2 jobs on.

37. Been plastering 6 months on and off. Use a saloon car loaded up with brand new tools. Haven't a fookin clue what I'm doin but use this forum to bum information to get by. Lie through my teeth to customers to win work. Magic!

Sas?..........whats that?....you plaster saturday and sunday........
Black hawk doon.:RpS_laugh:

37. Been plastering 6 months on and off. Use a saloon car loaded up with brand new tools. Haven't a fookin clue what I'm doin but use this forum to bum information to get by. Lie through my teeth to customers to win work. Magic!

Welcome back Rossi. :RpS_thumbup:

Started in 1976 as an apprentice at Manchester direct works.
Self employed since I was 21.
Worked all over the world but wish I could retire now the game has gone **** and prices are wank.
Young man's game.

Probably why a 30 year old with a family won't get 150 a a day because you'd have to pay a 19 year old the same

43 now started when I was 12ish. 3rd generation at and last I hope. 31 yrs at it but didn't start apprenticeship until 15

Left school at 14
3 years in butcher shop,then went a done a 3 years city and guilds plastering apprenticeship,from there I spent a extra 2 years as a improver on site with a tough northern spread who taught me loads from there went on to skimming flats for 2.25 per m2 and spent 13 years flat bashing we earned some good money but it was tough work stilts really mess up your legs and wet damp flats doing bottoms of walls started to hurt from there I went onto the mono by hand I spent 3 years doing that before I got myself a machine and haven't looked back since earning more money than ever and enjoying it a little lol
but I've learned in all that time that you have to be honest with people if you have double booked just tell them and quality is the most important thing of all your only as good as your last job I'm now 37 so I've been pushing it up the walls for 20 years

started at 17 city and guilds and advanced craft., now nearly 48 31 years exp. would try something else but its all i know lol!!( its a love, hate relationship!!)

Age 26

Been doing this 4years bit over.

Not time served, still learning loads all the time.

Feel like i'm constantly recovering from a car accident at the moment:

Swollen knees - a repetitive problem

Lower back pain - constant

Inflamed tendons i think in my left arm at the mintute - anti-inflammatories and docs on fri as won't go away

trigger finger

......... think that's it! Pusjing the murals, can't do this forever however much i enjoy it I'm getting old before my time!! :RpS_scared:

Then do fibrous plastering as bit more relaxing job as I sit down and filing the profiles

Are you taking on? :RpS_thumbup: I'd love to have a go at that, it would suit my art/history background!

you always end up cracking on with what you fall into it seems, especially in this current climate. I want to do more murals but plastering is the bread and butter so on i go!

37 year old .worked all hols labouring for my old man and unkle's plaster gang since i was thirteen, finished school tried college(industrial design) but took a year out,at 23 went back to a very busy auld boy and got on tools/site trained, 14 yrs on and never looked back, till now....

Then do fibrous plastering as bit more relaxing job as I sit down and filing the profiles

Cant sit and file all day mate, thats a 15 minute job. The rest of the day is spent either on sit lifting heavy casts or in workshop with your hands in cold water all get getting filthy and wet.
No walk in the park this game mate :(

Been plastering since I was 9 ,started smoking when I was 8 , could drive a bus when I was 10 ,could run a 100 yards in a pair of wellies in under 11 seconds, since then its all gone down hill!

Cant sit and file all day mate, thats a 15 minute job. The rest of the day is spent either on sit lifting heavy casts or in workshop with your hands in cold water all get getting filthy and wet.
No walk in the park this game mate :(

I did fibrous every day for 6 months. Felt like a robot on a production line although I was just on castings day in and day out. No one off specials. Did my nut in and very dry cracked skin on my hands even with tallow rubbed in. Never again.

Status
Not open for further replies.