Your age / Time served

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
30 started labouring weekends at 14. Did my a-levels then decided I liked drink + drugs to much to take uni seriously so back to the trowel full time at 18-19. Time served 11 years +

Well wish I had gone to uni now :(

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D X515m using The Plasterers Forum mobile app
Chin up Curry lad, things happen for a reason. Plus from what I read on here you kicked Knaufs demos guys asses so big respect for that :RpS_thumbup: have a drink pal you'll be fine

Whats an indentured apprenticeship? Henry wins the award for longest time spreading. He rendered the penthouse suite on noahs ark

i was just gonna ask the same thing .....whats an indentured apprentice.................is it like the plastering school for the gifted that i went too....................:RpS_confused:

It's all a load of ****.

If you're a cretin serving 10 years under a moron then you'll be shyte.

A teachable guy under a top spread for a year will be far more able.

I give little onus on this time served and age thang.

i was just gonna ask the same thing .....whats an indentured apprentice.................is it like the plastering school for the gifted that i went too....................:RpS_confused:

Plastering school for the gifted....? sounds like the sort of place you would have gone to!

Did they have small walls and large windows - so you could all lick them at tea break....? PMSL!!

Happy New Year to you and yours Marra!

I did a 4 year Engineering Apprenticeship.... learned more from working with all the guys who had been doing the job for years, than the day release at college.

But when you have interviews, and talk to people in business, they are more interested in qualifications....

It is BS - Life skills, communication skills and experience are KING!!

It's all a load of ****.

That sums my career up :RpS_laugh:

Chin up Curry lad, things happen for a reason. Plus from what I read on here you kicked Knaufs demos guys asses so big respect for that :RpS_thumbup: have a drink pal you'll be fine
not hard to do by the sound of it,, it sounds like knaufs demo guy was pony

Whats an indentured apprenticeship?

the indentured apprenticeship was a signed contract between a firm that employed a master plasterer and an apprentice, i was considered lucky as in 1963 mine was a 5 year term where as a year or 2 earlier it was a 7 year term.for the first 2 years you where called an apprentice and only worked with a plasterer, the next 3 years you where call an improver and you may be sent to carry out small jobs on your own. looking back it was just a form of cheap labour but we where all told at school that is was very important to learn a trade , so that no matter where we lived we could always earn a living.

Yeah, I like strict and tough teacher like old school - teachers now are too soft and let things slip away
one my first day at work i was sent home with a letter for my mother telling her that i need to wear a neck tie and be properly dressed at all times, or i would not be working with harry the firms master plasterer or getting a lift home in his car!

It's all a load of ****.

Still think it takes 5-6 years to learn most of the aspects even if the teacher knows his ****.

Still think it takes 5-6 years to learn most of the aspects even if the teacher knows his ****.

That's true, I was making a comparison though.

I knew I was there when I was able to walk on any job and not be surprised or bemused by anything i might encounter.

Training and all aside, you have to want to be good, you have to want to do the best job possible, you have to want to be better than the average, you have to want to impress people, you have to have the right manner,common sense and a nose for a pound but not just greed, earn it earn respect, don't be someone that's used once by someone, regular bread and butter work is the mainstay ,we all have had the big earns on and off but the are rare enough.solve problems for people on site find the solution don't be a primadonna, builders make mistakes too, treat all like you would want to be treated yourself. But make a decent living if at all possible, it's too tough a livelihood to be someone's mug.

That's true, I was making a comparison though.

I knew I was there when I was able to walk on any job and not be surprised or bemused by anything i might encounter.
You clearly didn't do any work on council estates up north ?? Lol :RpS_laugh:

Training and all aside, you have to want to be good, you have to want to do the best job possible, you have to want to be better than the average, you have to want to impress people, you have to have the right manner,common sense and a nose for a pound but not just greed, earn it earn respect, don't be someone that's used once by someone, regular bread and butter work is the mainstay ,we all have had the big earns on and off but the are rare enough.solve problems for people on site find the solution don't be a primadonna, builders make mistakes too, treat all like you would want to be treated yourself. But make a decent living if at all possible, it's too tough a livelihood to be someone's mug.
Are you quoting and end speech from Little House on the Prarie John?? :RpS_laugh: :RpS_thumbup:

Michael Landon as little hoss leaving bonanza trail and crossing the west and building his house with the family is too far in the past for my little head

In the very early days as a journey man your family would pay a plasterer to take you on, you would live in the barn with the cattle and eat whatever scraps were left if any were left. So @henry told me :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm 58 yeas old.
My Dad was a plastering contractor I used to get sent out on jobs when school was on vacation when I was 12. I'd stock material, cover windows and then uncover the same windows after the plastering had been finished. Learned real quick that if you didn't put the tape on correctly I'd be making a lot of extra work for myself. We did a lot of apartment buildings back then and a often my Dad would pay me for each window. At 14 I got a work permit so I was getting a legitimate paycheck and paying taxes, pretty much worked full time every vacation day & a lot of saturdays until I got out of school, then I worked full-time, served my apprenticeship and went to school at night for quite a few years & still ended up plastering since then. Except for one summer I commercial fished up in Alaska with one of my Uncles. I trashed my back pretty bad around 1985 and after healing up from that I decided I should be working for myself as I had so much side work it was interfering with my regular job.

You clearly didn't do any work on council estates up north ?? Lol :RpS_laugh:

I did, my opening speech went something like this.... "you're gonna have to open all your doors and windows while I'm here as my insurance doesn't cover anyone with breathing difficulties. (which covers everyone on the dole)

Some of the eastern stinks made your toes curl the wrong way

I did, my opening speech went something like this.... "you're gonna have to open all your doors and windows while I'm here as my insurance doesn't cover anyone with breathing difficulties. (which covers everyone on the dole)

Some of the eastern stinks made your toes curl the wrong way
Touche lol :RpS_laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.