Young lads plastering

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think so spunky, tried to keep good standards and keep speed up, tried taking lads on site and make a bit on them, but with prices that low I couldn't do it.

I do know a lot of decent spreads, site subbed all over place met some good guys. The vibe is usually the same, moaning about the rates and the hard grafting.

Thankfully I dropped out and got on being taught mono & thin coat, not done any plastering for about 2 months, finished in August.

I just wonder what the younger guys coming through will see the trade as, It was all shiny trowels and nice vans when I started and a good laugh were you wanted to do a good job, a respected job. Money was hardly mentioned because you knew it was at least half decent, it wasn't the driving factor like it is today.

now it's just gone a bit glum, people dropping in and out of the game no pride, part timers, semi skilled lads. it's amazing how hard it's been hit and the change iv seen in 8 short yrs.

I wonder if the next generation will see the trade like myself and others my age did.

Last edited:
Not been on a site for at least 9 maybe 10 years, was a good craic back then (Pilchers, Hoggs and even Harvest Homes till the owner turned into a right tw@t). Remember being on one for Persimmons when I first started out and it was awful - my mate hated them as they expected you to drop your standard so as not to show up the other trades :RpS_blink:.

Have done single new builds for a few builders since on price and day rate - mostly domestic extensions, loft conversions etc. now but mainly re-skims.

Don't have a cscs card (have looked into it recently as we were asked if we'd work on a 70 bed care home complex but the rates were pitiful). Never been asked for one even on the development we are on now (helping a plasterer mate renovate two old cottages, stripped out and new plaster throughout).

if sites are like that now, and I guess they are all head down and arse up with h&s gone mad then I'm not bothered. It's a right pain though when sites shut down and all the trades flood the market undercutting everyone for what little work there is. When the recession eases up they'll soon bugger back off to site work.

Have a word with free rider he might need another bathroom needs doing to tie you over till January

I remember being on a site for Escrick Park Estates doing offices out ormfarm buildings etc. they got a few more gangs in including one bloke who employed young spreads, kept them a year maybe less then got rid. Standard of work wasn't very good either. Another gang came on as well - two young lads in a beat up old van - they proceeded to do all the easy stuff then buggered off (standard wasn't very good tbh). We were the only ones left and stayed with the estate doing their projects for about 3 years. That was good times.

Have a word with free rider he might need another bathroom needs doing to tie you over till January

Why, I don't work for myself any more.

Read all the post before getting a hard on and keyboard giddy.

You can have it, small job something for you to learn on.

;)

I remember being on a site for Escrick Park Estates doing offices out ormfarm buildings etc. they got a few more gangs in including one bloke who employed young spreads, kept them a year maybe less then got rid. Standard of work wasn't very good either. Another gang came on as well - two young lads in a beat up old van - they proceeded to do all the easy stuff then buggered off (standard wasn't very good tbh). We were the only ones left and stayed with the estate doing their projects for about 3 years. That was good times.

Seen a lot of guys doing that round here, taking young lads straight from school, £250 cash a week 6 - 8 months down the line they work for themselves wanting better money but not having the skills to earn it. Floods the market with semi skilled spreads . . . . . . . Like spunky

I done it andy, and with all due respect we are all replaceable. even more so the site skimmers by the bucket load, with lads ready to step in at a moments notice.

Iv read you do the bigger jobs andy, you must know about priorities

Budget, deadlines, h&s, standard of work all are top of the list.

Does looking after subbies, making sure they are paid a decent rate and on time ever come into it. If you know.

I've not touched any sizeable jobs since I started up again. A few big one offs and an interesting mixture of bits and pieces. Luckily I'm in the position of not having to work for other plastering firms but if I had to sub then I'd only take the jobs where I could earn a decent wage. If you can't earn decent money then what's the point? It's to hard a job to be earning the same money you'd get working in Tescos or similar.
There really are people still out there willing to pay good rates especially if you're able to take the job through from start to finish, what I mean is take on the tacking, plastering, screeding, rendering and even the insulation.

Cheers andy, I know the basics of tacking an Screeding but not enough to take a decent job on, subbin the work out would have been an option before but it's finding good lads ( boarders and screeders ) I suppose and keeping an eye on them.

Iv heard the bigger companies are shite at payin, going bust ect leaving you high and dry.

Last edited:
Seen a lot of guys doing that round here, taking young lads straight from school, £250 cash a week 6 - 8 months down the line they work for themselves wanting better money but not having the skills to earn it. Floods the market with semi skilled spreads . . . . . . . Like spunky
Yes I struggle to do 40-50m skimming lol

Cheers andy, I know the basics of tacking an Screeding but not enough to take a decent job on, subbin the work out would have been an option before but it's finding good lads ( boarders and screeders ) I suppose and keeping an eye on them.

Iv heard the bigger companies are shite at payin, going bust ect leaving you high and dry.
Fair play I bet all the big boys are banging you're door down

Sorry Mac what I meant was on the big one offs. I'm no tacker but will if I have to, insulation now that's another matter, I sub that out.
On the big one offs I find that the client likes the fact that they only have to deal with one person and because of the personal touch they feel they can trust that the quality will be there all the way through to completion.

I've never met these machines have heard of them, just hope I never quote against them otherwise it would make me look like I'm ripping the customer off! ha!

Must make good money though, I know a lad who is very quick at tiling, I boarded out a couple of walls for him today (about 12m2), he said he will be over tmw at 4:30pm tmw to tile and grout. £200! £100 an hour!

Spunky
Where did I mention that, I have put myself forward to price bigger jobs got the tender applications sent through and after some thought and consideration and needing a large wedge of cash behind you to keep people happy while you get paid, I decided I was too young and not in a position to take that type of work yet.

I'm not talking large commercial sites, I'm talkin £20k jobs that were too high risk for me school extensions, police stations and small commercial works.

Why would I want to deal with the "big boys" it's bollox pal, if you had anything about you, you would know why.

Last edited:
Like I said above andy, it's a little too much to risk without being 100% confident on the other aspects of the work, also the debt of the materials on tick and paying out lads weekly then waiting the 30, 60 or 90 days.

Also the paper work and certs you sometimes need like chas, method statements & risk assessment plus contracts ect ect, little bit too much and the risk was too high.

Other companies are well established and in a position to take losses on jobs just to keep in with the client which I would never be able too.

Tbh I'm not the type of guy to come on here and bullshit, being honest here

I usually stuck to small builders/site/estate agents and subbed to small plastering contractors. The impression I got was the bigger you got the higher the risk and you were borrowing to pay the last job while paying out waiting for the next payment, I might be way off, but that's what I thought.

No mate, it's called talking about plastering on a plasterers forum.

And tbh mate, I'd rather moan about everything than constantly make a fooking massive tit of myself on this forum daily.

Do you not have a mrs, or kids, something else to do for half/hour. Your life seems to revolve around utter shite on here.

Your big to give it out, but never come back with anything of any substance, just bollox all the time.

Do you actually even plaster or do you spend day after day on here picking bits and bobs up trying to "fit in"

If you do plaster do you tell the lads at work you spend your free time sat on this forum acting like a complete and utter gob shite, do they think your a big man. Like we all do.

Fook me mate, get a hobby. Relentless shite is not funny anymore

This beautiful girl has a real face and tits, she will tell you if she is enjoying herself as she moans! But if you don’t want any noise you can turn her off. Do her which ever way you like, as all 3 holes are on offer for your personal usage. Not only this but also her anus and pussy are made of cyber skin which adds to the real feel of this sexy love doll. She also comes with vibrating bullets and will lead you into a explosive climax time and time again.

That should keep you off the computer for 10 minutes

Status
Not open for further replies.