Young lads plastering

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
ALL the young lads I know nowadays who call themselves plasterers are just waste of space skimmers.
No disrespect to any of you decent lads on here (I've never met you)

Not one of em even knows the first thing about float and set.
"Why do you 'scratch' it" I got asked by a 26 year old 'spread' a few weeks ago (he saw me using hardwall)

WTF?

I'm sorry about that mate, oh and I'm 25 not 26.

don't recall Martin Conlon, he must have started there after I did my apprenticeship, Hewitt & Masters i remember

7 1/2 ton would cover 270m square with out waste. at 12mmm thick. which is a very good days floating

yeah i know. but when i was labouring at 17-20ish on 2 guys on price on s+c, we would do more than that. and that was carrying it upstairs in buckets. so i dont get why hes considered so amazing. apart from the hod must have been ******* heavy.

yeah i know. but when i was labouring at 17-20ish on 2 guys on price on s+c, we would do more than that. and that was carrying it upstairs in buckets. so i dont get why hes considered so amazing. apart from the hod must have been ******* heavy.

only due to his hod

don't understand why you used buckets, a hod would have been easier imo

max quarterman was labouring on one plasterer not two. the average 3 bed house with block party walls has 240m square on the walls so 270m square must be a four bed house. my brother and myself would float 270m in a day but what i am saying is 270m is a very hard day for one plasterer

max quarterman was labouring on one plasterer not two. the average 3 bed house with block party walls has 240m square on the walls so 270m square must be a four bed house. my brother and myself would float 270m in a day but what i am saying is 270m is a very hard day for one plasterer

oh yeah i agree the plastering amount is impressive, not so much the labouring was my point.

i will add also the plasterer is only as good as his labourer, get a **** labourer and it makes the job twice as hard, a good lab is worth their weight in gold imo

Dont know why people still think speed and amount you can lay on makes you a good spread, Id much rather pay someone who takes his time but does a spot on job, has diverse knowledge and all round skills that some monkey who thinks hes got big balls just cos he can lay on a lot of gear, Id be regarded as slow by most people, but slow throw choice, not through lack of skill and experience, quality of work, enjoying your job and looking after your body is far more important than speed.

P.s. not ALL young 'spreads' are ****! but I would say 90% of ALL spreads are pretty bad, knowledge and experience don't necessarily make you a good tradesman, quality of workmanship, no matter how you go about a job is by far the most important.

Dont know why people still think speed and amount you can lay on makes you a good spread, Id much rather pay someone who takes his time but does a spot on job, has diverse knowledge and all round skills that some monkey who thinks hes got big balls just cos he can lay on a lot of gear, Id be regarded as slow by most people, but slow throw choice, not through lack of skill and experience, quality of work, enjoying your job and looking after your body is far more important than speed.

P.s. not ALL young 'spreads' are ****! but I would say 90% of ALL spreads are pretty bad, knowledge and experience don't necessarily make you a good tradesman, quality of workmanship, no matter how you go about a job is by far the most important.

Hahha that is exactly how I think.

Take 100 men off the street. Only 10 out of them would have the balls and will power to stick with plastering.

Out of those 10 only 2 would make a decent spread, the others you could teach for 10 years and they'd still be sh1t.

So thats 2% of men that could possibly become good plasterers given the right opportunities. ie, a good tutor and run of work.

I should get the freedom of Yorkshire for coming up here and showing them all how to go on.:RpS_biggrin:

Free rider how much site bashing have you done

Not interested in site work Spunky dude, only done site work once, and that because the prices were very very good, not your usual! whys that? I've not said site workers are **** before you imply anything?

so did i......

why arent i a millionaire!!!
well my old labourer is a millionaire 3 times over today. that was not through plastering but land deals, but that was always going to happen because of the type of person he is and his determination and i am still plastering his developments at my price.

See now this is whats ballox'd up about spreads, just cos someone is fast Doesn't make them "crap at it" i've seen some really good & fast spreads ( house bashing you have to be Fast) also seen some really "slow crap" ones, Being fast at it doesn't make you rough or a monkey, just Fast, get over it lol

Neither does being slower make you **** either like is always implied, so why dont you get over it cunty!

Ive never said there arnt fast good spreads, I know some on here are very good from what I can gather, just **** off with the bill big b*ll***s about metreage all the time, its gotta be the only trade going where people talk so much about ******* metreage.

Spunky - its true, they are, but it doesn't make them ****.. this argument can be thrown both ways, you know exactly what point I was making!

these days there just is'nt the opportunity for young people to learn the trade properly...very few young lads will get on board with a time served all rounded plasterer who is willing to bring them on over the years..anyone who does is very fortunate...but then in my eyes you make your own luck and create your own chances.....the old 7 year apprentiships to advanced craft city and guilds needs to come back if we are to see standards go up and a consistency of standard in the trade...but realistically in modern day construction, price and speed dominates and value is just not appreciated...this is reflected right down to the training courses sadly...

I dont see whats difficult about laying on 3 guages a day at 30metres a set, its a piece of piss.. its easy to earn on site, IF you are good, its a waste of your time, life and body working on site though.. Id rather do two small nice easy sets a day, in someones nice, warm house, drink tea when I please, plug ipod into the radio and just enjoy myself, whilst earning as much wedge as any site worker, by doing about a 1/4 of the work... its not rocket science which is the better option is it.

I dont see whats difficult about laying on 3 guages a day at 30metres a set, its a piece of piss.. its easy to earn on site, IF you are good, its a waste of your time, life and body working on site though.. Id rather do two small nice easy sets a day, in someones nice, warm house, drink tea when I please, plug ipod into the radio and just enjoy myself, whilst earning as much wedge as any site worker, by doing about a 1/4 of the work... its not rocket science which is the better option is it.

You need good social skills to pull this off which some people lack.

You seem happy and content so good on you :RpS_thumbup:

Last edited:
I could never do site work as i am a bit funny about shitting and pissing in an old bucket in the under stairs cupboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.