Young lads plastering

Status
Not open for further replies.

user_removed

Just a bit curious ( and board of reading piss poor threads on how to mix/price/apply render/plaster ) but what's the attitude of younger plasterers these days, I'm finding out that More and more do 12 months and think they can take on the world only to fail.

Hardly any know how to rough/float, cove, screed, s&c render

Not sure on the newer rendering side of things mono, thin coat.

Used to be a trade that took years and years to learn, is it just being keen, or separation of skimming/rendering/plastering into 3 trades or just general downgrading of the trade to say semi skilled.

Maybe the bandwagon jumpers, week courses, free dole course people are coming through and into their own, so to say.

8 yrs and I'm still learning, kind of feel the younger generation don't respect the trade they are getting into anymore.

Ya get mi blood, lol.

Mac

Maybe so, good point. I always listened and took on board what I was being taught tho, never thought I was better than I was.

Old gaffer use to tell me, you can't call yourself a plasterer until you can do this this an this.

What do you mean Henry, the trade is being broken up?

Skimming to board will become the next click together laminate.

Sorry for the blood joke, very out of taste.

This is not a dig at any young spreads coming through by the way or anyone else, just wanted others opinion on how the trade is changing and the attitude towards it compared to 15, 20 yrs ago.

Young or old, doesn't matter as long as you know what your doing. Got a 21 year old who i've put through there apprenticeship and he's a cracking plasterer and i've had some older plasterers out who's work was shocking.

I wasn't plastering 15 years ago but see what you mean. Guys who just screed or just skim. Saying that though I rarely do anything else than s+c and skim for a DPC firm. Can't remember the last time I did any coving.

Just as many chancers back then as now probably?

in my time in the trade since 1963 there has always been chancers in boom times, usually plasterers labourers trying to have a go. the odd one doing ok. one i can think of became a millionaire.but most of them failing in recessions, it always was boom and bust .

Was just wondering what the next generation of plasterers will be like, what skills will be lost and what will be phased out, due to newer products and newer tools.

in my time in the trade since 1963 there has always been chancers in boom times, usually plasterers labourers trying to have a go. the odd one doing ok. one i can think of became a millionaire.but most of them failing in recessions, it always was boom and bust .

There have always been chancers as you say Malc but IMHO there have never been so many as there have been since the emergence of short courses.

dot and dab killed the trade to a certain extent.

I think D&D killed things to a fair degree because the plasterers about in the past just moaned about it rather than just "learning" to D&D, instead they left it to tackers etc. to grab the money. Now we've got clowns coming on here and saying what a result it is that a builder is going to do the D&D himself.

And in the past plasterers use to do the lime wash but gave that away to the painters, nowt changes .

Maxi Qaurtarman?

very good answer. i did not know max quatarman . i was thinking about the late lou cater, he ran a very successfull plastering company and had a good business brain, he purchased his own builders merchants to get the best price for materials.
even my old labourer and still my close friend is now a self made millionaire 3 times over but that is a long story

Ive said it before i think in time skimming will be extinct. End user will just spray there walls with an aerosal style gizmo that requires no finishing per say just the odd bit of sanding etc will be as easy to apply as a pot of paint for the home owner etc.

Though in fairness every trade has been massivley down skilled and fragmented over the years plasterings not on its own.

Must admit its worrying to think where it will all end. Personaly i dont think there will be a "Plasterer" that uses the systems we currently use in 20 yrs at the most.

Ive said it before i think in time skimming will be extinct. End user will just spray there walls with an aerosal style gizmo that requires no finishing per say just the odd bit of sanding etc will be as easy to apply as a pot of paint for the home owner etc.

Though in fairness every trade has been massivley down skilled and fragmented over the years plasterings not on its own.

Must admit its worrying to think where it will all end. Personaly i dont think there will be a "Plasterer" that uses the systems we currently use in 20 yrs at the most.
get your self up to scandinavia self finishing plasters. one man per machine spray it on, bring spat over it ,run a small brush around internals.and complete a bungalow in a morning thats how they can pay high wages.

Gulp!!!!!!

Now i am going to have a sleepless night Malc!!!! Ive got to get at least another 10yrs out of this shitty job!

Problem is they wouldnt have to pay high wages in this country some mug would still do it for 50 quid with another 3 queueing up to beat with there "any quote beaten" over quality company statement wtf!!!

Zombie

Gulp!!!!!!

Now i am going to have a sleepless night Malc!!!! Ive got to get at least another 10yrs out of this shitty job!

Problem is they wouldnt have to pay high wages in this country some mug would still do it for 50 quid with another 3 queueing up to beat with there "any quote beaten" over quality company statement wtf!!!

Zombie
well thats the british mentality. the costs in scandinavia are always the same,they have two price brackets, either housing or commerical the only choice the customer has is one contractor can do the work next week where as an other will want 3 weeks.

we use to say that 20 years ago still skiming today like then still useing a trowel looks the same as the one back then not much changes still ****** at the end off the days work and o yes plasters still winge like c.unts no change there then only we do it on line these day thats progress for ya

Ive said it before i think in time skimming will be extinct. End user will just spray there walls with an aerosal style gizmo that requires no finishing per say just the odd bit of sanding etc

Youve just described knauf airless through a ritmo, spray it on, quick spat and when dry sand any imperfections if needed, i dont think traditional plastering will completley die out it will just be un heard of on mainstream comercial projects and new builds ect as speed is king on big sites. I think it will just end up as a small market for traditional plastering/skimming on renovation projects a bit how lime plastering is now

Think that's the problem with most trades ( jobs ) now, money is the key factor.

IT in early 00's, everyone jumped on it, same with plumbing, then the tilers and plasterers.

Thing is they tightened up with other jobs, IT industry boomed enough work, plumbers have regulations that have big outlays and overheads to put off the none serious guys, tiling is a bit of a none starter more diy no offence, but plastering seemed to be an open market with no protection, maybe that's why it's been flooded.

Saying that didn't they try and run courses in every trade, maybe plastering seemed the easiest, best return.

i think that you are correct about what you say. the electricans and the window fitters covered them selfs with having to have a certificate that the work was done correctly. plasterers did nothing

its really **** stuff

I agree, went to a demo day at CCF and wasnt convinced but looks like you could train a monkey to do it, no water needed, cheap less skilled labour to apply it and a quick sand if it looks ****, pretty much anyone could do it, hope it doesnt take off personaly but i think it will on large sites

I think a lot of it is being too keen and inexperienced, like you say you are still learning after 8 years, about same time as I've been plastering too, I made so many mistakes when I was younger it was unreal, went out on me own too early, it killed my confidence and took a long time to recover from it, it takes years to build up a reasonable amount of knowledge and skill, I've only become properly established in the last couple of years and **** me I still make mistakes! but who doesn't!! so I wouldn't be so hard on the youngsters, most of it just comes from ignorance and overly keen to get out and make something of themselves, which in effect, isnt actually a bad thing, just let them learn by their mistakes! :)

I spent the day at the knauf trainning center the other day and was very impressed. Compared to spraying normal skim these non gypsum pre-bagged plasters are much more suitable for machine application. You can stop when you want. No need to worry about setting in the pipes ect.

Before everyone says its shite maybe they should see it in person and think about the advantages on site.

I think a lot of it is being too keen and inexperienced, like you say you are still learning after 8 years, about same time as I've been plastering too, I made so many mistakes when I was younger it was unreal, went out on me own too early, it killed my confidence and took a long time to recover from it, it takes years to build up a reasonable amount of knowledge and skill, I've only become properly established in the last couple of years and **** me I still make mistakes! but who doesn't!! so I wouldn't be so hard on the youngsters, most of it just comes from ignorance and overly keen to get out and make something of themselves, which in effect, isnt actually a bad thing, just let them learn by their mistakes! :)

You sound like me, it's a hard,hard game and cannot be learnt in 5 minutes, it takes years of mistakes and trial and error to know where you stand.

You've got to love it, a bad day for a plasterer would destroy the soul of the average man, things can get shitty quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.