Wooden tool boxes

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ianspreader

I have worked with a couple of old spreads who have made there own wooden tool boxes was wondering if anyone else has made one and any one got any pics cheers ian

phhhhhh tool boxes are homo real men have buckets....1 for wet tools and 1 for dry tools!!!!:RpS_thumbsup:

wow homemade tool box would be sweet! I bought my dad an old school metal tool box from the centre aisle of aldi for his birthday recently since he insists on using this old bag of my sisters! It's ******* hilarious! Keep winding him up he's got a handbag. Maybe he should make his own and regain some masculinity

Beddy on here does a range of them just PM him for his catalogue.

Ive got an old toolbox at my mums house that my late dad made. Like a tote bag. Nothing special but then ive also got these 2 wooden briefcase type boxes he made to hold.all his gear. Planes saws etc. Everything has a place and a way of holding it in place. They really are a work of art and mad to think it was just a way of getting his kit to and from work

when i was an apprentice 1963, harry ,the firms leading plasterer made us 3 apprentices a wooden tool box each. at the end of each day he would check that you had cleaned, and put your tools in the correct position. the tool box was also your seat in the back of the van. we also had a wooden hopup each, made for your height, in flat pack so that it did not take up to much room in the van.

when i was an apprentice 1963, harry ,the firms leading plasterer made us 3 apprentices a wooden tool box each. at the end of each day he would check that you had cleaned, and put your tools in the correct position. the tool box was also your seat in the back of the van. we also had a wooden hopup each, made for your height, in flat pack so that it did not take up to much room in the van.

love it,
a real sense of pride in the job. My old mans did his time as a bench joiner, before electric power tools. He has 2 big wooden boxes all marked up for Hand plains etc. he use to sit on his to and from work as well.

Ive got an old toolbox at my mums house that my late dad made. Like a tote bag. Nothing special but then ive also got these 2 wooden briefcase type boxes he made to hold.all his gear. Planes saws etc. Everything has a place and a way of holding it in place. They really are a work of art and mad to think it was just a way of getting his kit to and from work

Sounds like your old man was a skilled carpenter with pride, how come you ended up a scabby skimmer?

I made my own about 3 years ago now. Made a nice wooden box fastened together with brass screws. I made some wooden runners that i tacked on the inside with brass tacks and rebated them so my trowels would slide down them and keep them against the side of the box safe, did the same for my hawk, then all my other tools are stored in the bottom part. Its well weathered now but does a stirling job of keeping my trowels safe and secure.

Sounds like your old man was a skilled carpenter with pride, how come you ended up a scabby skimmer?

To be honest mate I don't really know. I would have liked to be a carpenter but my step dad knew a plasterer looking for an apprentice and i suppose it was the easy option

Attachments

• 1384361291491.jpg
    1384361291491.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 288
When I was an apprentice early 70's the leading spreads had a wooden tool box. The 'ordinary' spreads had a khaki haversack. Being an apprentice I had a khaki haversack so I could move from job to job easy enough on my motorbike.

I have now a metal tool box bolted to the floor of my truck. Holds loads but you have to go the the truck for whatever you want or rather the labrador does. Not to bad being an outdoor worker, the truck is never to far away. I did have one when a spread but as said it weighed a lot and took two to safely carry it. But I am a tools person, got every tool going.

Bring back the old days when I started on the Hod in 72 we got paid every week and earnt well, there were proper builders about not fcking developers we all had a laugh at work and then took it to the pub,best days of my life nowadays I dread to go to work, no fun no more and little money,

I didn't start on site until 1980 which was a tough time for the building industry but we had loads of laughs on site. Site sport afternoons (that included throwing the pudlock) and football involving all the trades. Great times.

Status
Not open for further replies.