Want a well paid job?

Oh don't get me wrong andy we can claw money back on the right jobs on price or domestic work occasionally.

But as a hourly rate aspect via agencies etc were always down the list.

Let's be honest it's a chancers trade!

Look at the people who ask or indeed go on a week course etc on here then start there thread saying recently qualified blablabla.

Of course there s**t and will be for a very long time and limited on what they can do however to there friends and family and new customers there an overnight plasterer.

Other trades require more paperwork to progress!
You have hit the nail on the head good man ;)

When I had guys working on site for me, and on a price, they were earning more per day than the brickies, plumbers and electricians.
Maybe I wasn't greedy enough, or maybe I'm just an all round good egg?
The reason your boys were earning good money m8 is because you are a plasterer your self and you know how it works so on that basis you are definitely a good egg in my book Andy ;)

My niece's boyfriend asked me about getting a trade, I suggested plumbing and despite him being absolutely useless at any form of DIY, six weeks after starting his chosen course he had the paperwork to say that he was a plumber.
So it's not just plastering that's easy to get started in.

Seriously? f**k, that's not right at all.. ..

Osats for plumbing much harder to get than plastering...my tutor said college osat assesor need a 2 year city and guilds l2 course done before they will do an nvq 2 osat for.plumbing. plastering one was done in 2 1 hr visits...

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Ted only admitted it after taking us in the treasonous b*****d.
Yes that c**t should of been hung for what he did, he actually lied to the people and parliament saying it was no more than a common market yet no one ever said anything about it they will haul someone over the coals for lying about trivial matters but something like this they just ignored and that’s on both sides

Hate to say it but I don't expect to get paid the same as electrician or gas engineer as they have a safety aspect so fair play.

Both joiner and brickys have to work to plans so they get more.

Leaves thick fucks like plasterers, painters,tilers.

Been the same for years and is never going to change.
We may be thick fucks but we are the ones that make buildings look good when we have finished. I don’t see myself or any other plasterers that I know as thick fucks come to think of it

Makes me laugh how people spend £10k on chipboard kitchen units but wouldn't pay anywhere near that to make all the walls and ceilings in the whole house perfectly flat and smooth from brick/block/stud.

Makes me laugh how people spend £10k on chipboard kitchen units but wouldn't pay anywhere near that to make all the walls and ceilings in the whole house perfectly flat and smooth from brick/block/stud.
Up Norf anyway....daarn saarf its more like £50k probably.

Plasterers are seen as the equivalent as car cleaners , about time we all got respect back in the game

We may be thick fucks but we are the ones that make buildings look good when we have finished. I don’t see myself or any other plasterers that I know as thick fucks come to think of it

Thats what I always say. The building may be about to collapse, flood and electrocute everyone, but if it's a good skim then the client will be well pleased.

As a plasterer you don't have time to run and change your company name before someone notices you've fecked ep!

mind you the general public always see it as an art etc and my mate who is a property developer (unless @imago is here then he just buys lots of lands and builds lots of 1 off houses :D) he watched me the other day and just kept going on at how amazing and interesting it is to watch etc etc...

I think if plasterers cleaned up their act and charged more money then everything will follow and people may have more respect for them as a trade

Utter rubbish
It’s not
Just look what’s out there mate , I even have a new local rival , with a picture of the wall they did at training course on the web page, they also do painting gardening and design

That’s why I’m on scheme tbh , it’s the only thing that separates plasterer from this shambles

I think if plasterers cleaned up their act and charged more money then everything will follow and people may have more respect for them as a trade
But you have got to battle with some who do everything and will always do cheaper

It’s not
Just look what’s out there mate , I even have a new local rival , with a picture of the wall they did at training course on the web page, they also do painting gardening and design

That’s why I’m on scheme tbh , it’s the only thing that separates plasterer from this shambles

I thought Lodan was a mate

But you have got to battle with some who do everything and will always do cheaper

you know what I think me and @imago are the same on this... charge more and stick by it..

If I win a job because I am cheap I dont want the job...

I always put stupid prices in when I was FT and even now I put silly prices in but that is what I want to do that job and if you want me then that is what it is going to cost.

you know what I think me and @imago are the same on this... charge more and stick by it..

I always put stupid prices in when I was FT and even now I put silly prices in but that is what I want to do that job and if you want me then that is what it is going to cost.
I have my lowest price I will go if I work out on how many days and won’t do for less now I used to to get work but now I can’t go to work thinking I’m losing before I’ve even started

Cheap labour ain't skilled, skilled labour ain't cheap.

First thing you need to do is quantify exactly what 'a plasterer' is.
Anyone who can cover everything that comes under solid plastering heading should be earning more than someone who can just use a bit of Bonding and skim.
The trade has been fragmented. Skimmers, stickers, tackers, ceiling gangs, wall gangs, floor screeders, F&S gangs, renderers and those that can cover all of the above. This has led to people having less choices about where and for whom they work.
Of course you then have the added issue of quality.
If two guys can cover the same jobs, but one is better than the other, then he should earn more.
So what should be at the base of any pay structure is how much should a fairly low level skimmer be earning? More than a shelf stacker? More than a postman or a guy leaning on a shovel next to a hole in the road?
How much should a top, top guy be able to earn?

Spot on there Danny ..
Trouble is most Plasterers out there now have not got the balls they were born with to speak up for their self’s especially site lads who go to work on a daily basis to have to piss taken out of them..
I say grow a set of balls speak up or f**k off..;)

I charge what I think is a fair amount for each particular job. I don't discount or bump up the price. It frequently works out that I'm the most expensive quote, but I don't add stuff on as i go.

So I'm expensive in a competitive industry, in a large city with thousands of other 'builders' available. Yet I've never been without work. At the moment I'm trying to decide what I want to do out of the 12 months work I have but not booked dates for.

You don't have to compete on price to get work.

I charge what I think is a fair amount for each particular job. I don't discount or bump up the price. It frequently works out that I'm the most expensive quote, but I don't add stuff on as i go.

So I'm expensive in a competitive industry, in a large city with thousands of other 'builders' available. Yet I've never been without work. At the moment I'm trying to decide what I want to do out of the 12 months work I have but not booked dates for.

The thing is that's all good and well in your position when 3 or 4 job leads can cover you for a year etc.

As a domestic plasterer 90% of your jobs are in the 1-2 day bracket.

Outprice yourself in this game and that's a lot of down days at home!

You have your head screwed on m8 at least you know what you are worth and speak up for your self..
Shame other plasterers don’t have a good mind set like you ;)

You have your head screwed on m8 at least you know what you are worth and speak up for your self..
Shame other plasterers don’t have a good mind set like you ;)
good to see plasterers that know they are good and know what they are worth..
Trouble is too many f**k**g coursers f**k**g it up for the genuine lads..
3 months or what ever it is at college then daddy buys them a new van signs it and fills it with brand new tools then they think they can take on the f**k**g world??
The reality is they soon come unstuck when they start swinging the trowel with the big boys ;)